General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

big rocks+highway speeds+lowered car=bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DAMN! all i can say is DAMN!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Oh ****, its in Florida too. That is a nightmare with no fault insurance and all.
yea i haven't called my insurance yet, i've pretty much squeezed all the money i possibly could have gotten out of them this year from my accident in feb. I'm gonna fight with the FDOT and see what will happen from there. I'm gonna tow it up to the chevy dealership i used to work at and have one them diag it for me. My brother is a lawyer for the fed gov't so he's always there to help me out with the legalities of **** like this.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

unfortunately the way the DOT/state works is you'll probably have to have it fixed on your own dime or the insurance fix it....and then go through a timetable(could be open/shut, could be months) to fight and get re-imbursed.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

ouch.... .well at least you finally got to take a look up in there
Old 12-09-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

I HATE i-4. I had a few rocks **** up the hood on my truck... $1100 to repaint the hood and part of the door from the rocks. The First day after it came back out of the shop, I was driving on a different part of i-4... had a rock crack my windshield. That was the LAST time I daily drove it.

Really sorry for your luck man, that's Awful! At least this one will be salvagable
Old 12-09-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, that sucks. Good luck with it but if FL is like NY you won't get the DOT to cover it. The only way they will here is if the rocks had either fallen off a DOT truck or one of their crews had left them in the road. Otherwise it's your comprehensive insurance since it was an "act of god".

Last edited by waldershrek; 12-10-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Wow, that sucks. Good luck with it but if FL is like NY you won't get the DOT to cover it. The only way they will here is if the rocks had either fallen of a DOT truck or one of their crews had left them in the road. Otherwise it's your comprehensive insurance since it was an "act of god".
thats exactly what they said when I claimed it....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Banned

my parents are going to help me out with this one too as they did with the lsat one. my mom managed to get way more out of that last accident without a lawyer than i should have. I'm just trying to keep insurance out of it for now, because they really f'ing hate me lol. I'll fight until i get something, I'm not paying ****, rocks like that shouldn't be in the road, especially a toll road, just bullshit
Old 12-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Thats ashame to see that happen

With your motor after still feathering and romping it after you lost all your oil doesn't sound good, plus the fact grass and dirt had a clear entrance into your internals. I'd break down your motor reguardless, not worth chancing it.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
yea i know right? it's time to buy a beater to drive on the highways. I've already been fighting with the FDOT especially since it was on a toll road! The rocks had to have fallen off the back of a truck, why or how? I do not know, I never see any semi's or dumptrucks on that road.

If I do end up needing a lawyer, my brother is one up in DC or I can use my buddies who helped me out when I got hit by the semi in February.

Should I continue fighting with the FDOT or should I file a claim with my insurance company?
Do not turn this in o n insurance bc your rates will sky rocket seeing as they will have to fork over $10,000 in motor and installation.

Fight it with Florida bc its their fault and they should be the ones to pay for it. Im sure they got calls from people telling them that there were big *** rocks in the road. So IMO i think if you take FL to court yo9u would win seeing as you have pics and everything. But ya your motor isnt shot and can be fixed by:

New bearings
New crank
New oil pan
Possibly new rods
Machine work
oil pump

That right there will prob do it. Prob $1500 will get your car back up and running. But if you can get a new engine out of them, i would take that .
Old 12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Here is the bottom line. I'm an ins. adjuster and deal with this all the time.
Regarding the Liability for the loss. Unless you can prove who dropped the rocks with a licence plate from the truck you are going to be done. The DOT or state or government is not liable for road hazrds not created by them. Getting them to cover a snowplow hitting a parked car is difficult enough.

Your insurance will have to cover this under Collision
This is a Collision loss. Comp is a strictly defined coverage for items other than collision
your car collided with the rocks causing damages.
Your best bet will be to try to have the adjuster set your liability at Zero. Technically
you have to drive in a manner appropriate to avoide an impending emergency. Push for the Zero liability on you and your rates shouldn't go up

Regarding the Damages.
You obvoiusly need repairs to your front bumper and perhaps the lower part of the core support. The oil pan needs to be replaced along with the oil pump pickup.
While the shop is in there they can check the rod and main bearings for signs of wear.
This is the first place any damage would show up followed by the cam bearings and then
cylinder walls. So if there is no damage to the bearings the rest of the engine should be fine. New oil pan pump pickup and poss. pump should be all you need along with fresh oil change.
------
see what happens and let me know if I'm all that far off
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

From a technicians viewpoint knock, no oil, =FKed LS1 But if they say to put a pan on it make sure you get some type of something in writing to cover your *** in the event of a failure related to them fixing it half assed. They never cash only half of your check when you pay premiums. Same goes for fixing a vehicle after a collision.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

damn man that sucks, i hope you get it figured out. kind of hard to sue someone when you don't know who it is right?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bjamick
Do not turn this in o n insurance bc your rates will sky rocket seeing as they will have to fork over $10,000 in motor and installation.

Fight it with Florida bc its their fault and they should be the ones to pay for it. Im sure they got calls from people telling them that there were big *** rocks in the road. So IMO i think if you take FL to court yo9u would win seeing as you have pics and everything. But ya your motor isnt shot and can be fixed by:

New bearings
New crank
New oil pan
Possibly new rods
Machine work
oil pump

That right there will prob do it. Prob $1500 will get your car back up and running. But if you can get a new engine out of them, i would take that .
i think itll be more then jsut that, i bet he scored up his cylinder walls pretty good romping on it... not his fault but still probly ground some metal out of that block
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by istoleacamaro
i think itll be more then jsut that, i bet he scored up his cylinder walls pretty good romping on it... not his fault but still probly ground some metal out of that block
If the cylinder walls are tore up which is highly doubtful. He can have all that fixed at the machine shop and have it bored so he can build a 383. But seriously when it started knocking, that was from a spun bearing.

When you spun the bearing im sure it dug into your crank a lil bit, but im positive you could have it turned at the machine shop and polished and it would work like a charm. As for the pistons and rods actually locking up, its highly doubtful.

My LT1 ran without oil pressure for prob 10-15 seconds before. There is still oil on the cylinder walls, so i doubt that he locked that baby up. As i stated the machine shop can fix his crank and replace his bearings and have him on his way. But since the motors out anyways might as well do a lil upgrading while your at it .
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Dirtybird....oddly enough a lady came into my store today(verizon) and she worked for DOT on the toll road @ Turkey Lake for 15+ years. i asked her about what you should do and she mentioned that you should call the DOT office. the number she gave me is 407-532-3999. that'll get you a receptionist, but she said to explain the situation and they'll get the appropriate person on the phone.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude im sorry, that truly sux and you had no control over the situation. i think DOT should pay for it.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow! i guess it could of been worse like wrecking. never really seen something like this before.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

if your going to reuse that engine i would tear it down and rebuild it, you might have sucked some dirt up in to the system causing a bearing to go bad espialy with out oil,

and i wouldnt let them know you were going over the speed limit, it might void any thing the dot will do, or even your insurance
Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Wow, you have the worst luck with these sorts of things. GrumpyjenkinS had some really good advice and that's the avenue I'd take. I seriously doubt you're going to get the Florida DOT to get involved in this. If it was a city road or something like that you could have pulled it off, but not on a state highway.