General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

big rocks+highway speeds+lowered car=bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big rocks+highway speeds+lowered car=bad luck

Well many of you remember the red dragon and the wild ride I took in it this past February. Well...I got to take another one in the black one today.
I was heading to UCF for transfer student orientation which I was less than thrilled to attend in the first place. So I decided to take the fastest route their by hopping onto I-4 to the 417 near the Seminole Town Centre Mall. Had a car in front of me and a car next to me. The car in front of me all of the sudden swirves out of the lane into the next lane almost nailing the guy next to me, I had about .0000000001 seconds to react to what she was swirving from, and it was a whole **** pile of huge *** rocks. Here are the pictures, they are the story, and can explain what happened better than I can. I have the worst ******* luck with Trans Ams on the highway. I was going around 70mph btw.
Oh yea the sheriff that arrived on the scene blocked off the highway to move the rocks to the side as they are pictured. Not that you can see in any of the pictures but I had grass and dirt everyfucking where. And that stone weighs close to 15+ lbs.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

that was my post i put in the florida section, i also posted it here because, I need to know what exactly I should do. Could anything else besides what is in the oil pan and the bell housings be potentially "fucked up."

My dad was a tech for years, I've got some experience in the field, but should we take it to a dealership becuase we've been fighting all day and either the FDOT or my insurance is going to pay to fix.

So please just leave some helpful info!
Old 12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on how long you kept the motor running after all the oil spilled out, and whether you had syntheitc in there or not (helps a fraction better than dino oil when run dry).

If you shut it down right away, and the crank did not get hit by the rock, you might be ok with replacing the oil pickup and pan, and be on the way. I however would be a little more meticlous and check EVERYTHING inside that pan for damage, possibly even check the bearing clearances...
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
It all depends on how long you kept the motor running after all the oil spilled out, and whether you had syntheitc in there or not (helps a fraction better than dino oil when run dry).

If you shut it down right away, and the crank did not get hit by the rock, you might be ok with replacing the oil pickup and pan, and be on the way. I however would be a little more meticlous and check EVERYTHING inside that pan for damage, possibly even check the bearing clearances...

When I the wheels locked up and i started spinning I tried feathering/romping the gas instead of slamming on the brakes and try to regain control so I wouldn't go into the oncoming traffic lane. It stalled once it stopped and i tried starting it back up to move it and realized there was no oil pressure and a band knocking noise so i turned it off right away
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That does suck On a + note, good thing you didn't tag another car or the guard rail!
Like he said, check everything & make a list of what is F-ed.
P.S. - Small world, I'm from Longwood & live in Gainesville
Old 12-08-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That really stinks. It would do the same thing to my car.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to see that happen, but im not surprised, I see more **** on the roads in Florida. Last year I had a piece of semi truck tire tag my front clip..... in the Trans Am.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
When I the wheels locked up and i started spinning I tried feathering/romping the gas instead of slamming on the brakes and try to regain control so I wouldn't go into the oncoming traffic lane. It stalled once it stopped and i tried starting it back up to move it and realized there was no oil pressure and a band knocking noise so i turned it off right away
Oh man, that doesn't sound good! I'm pretty sure I'd demand a new engine from whoever has to end up paying for it. No doubt you sufficiently decreased the life of that engine (if not already brought it to the end of its current life) romping on it without oil like that. Time to upgrade tho
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

WERD...u already heard knocking so make them spring for a new one.

P.S. it looks pretty flat so where the hell did them rocks come from?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hit something like that on the road but it was a huge piece of concrete. It tore up my Y pipe and dented my header and crossmember. It also dented the muffler on my car. I was able to swerve enough though that it didn't touch my oil pan
Old 12-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If there was as much grass/dirt/debris as you are saying, I would rebuild the engine. There is no telling how much of that is up in the motor at this point.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with beast, I would tear in down.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

Theres also a huge hole in the bell housing of the trans. But I guess that not that expensive to replace? That sux nads big time. Hope everything works out to be OK.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Wow that really sucks... I would demand a new engine from who ever ends up paying for it. Sounds like the motor was running (even if a short time) with no oil pressure so more than likely your bearings are damaged or shot. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Make 'em pay for a new one. No telling what all is in there, especially running it without the oil and hearing a bang. A vehicle going without oil for only 100yrds is going to have serious enough problems to no question need a new engine, even if it doesn't sieze up. I hit a decent sized rock on 295 in Jacksonville about a year and a half ago. Swerved enough to hit my K-member about 2 inches from the A-arm. Only basically a scratch, but definitly launched the driver's side front of my car in the air...that was going 80mph. Lots of crap on the roads in FL.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

christ man, you've got some bad luck with these things. my buddy has gone through the county a few times to get compensated for bent rims(20's) form potholes around here. you might try to contact the county where the section of road is in, but its likely they'll just shovel it back to DOT since its a "federal" highway/interstate.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

OMG man wow that sucks. Demand a new motor, get a lawyer if they say no.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slmdLS1
christ man, you've got some bad luck with these things. my buddy has gone through the county a few times to get compensated for bent rims(20's) form potholes around here. you might try to contact the county where the section of road is in, but its likely they'll just shovel it back to DOT since its a "federal" highway/interstate.
yea i know right? it's time to buy a beater to drive on the highways. I've already been fighting with the FDOT especially since it was on a toll road! The rocks had to have fallen off the back of a truck, why or how? I do not know, I never see any semi's or dumptrucks on that road.

If I do end up needing a lawyer, my brother is one up in DC or I can use my buddies who helped me out when I got hit by the semi in February.

Should I continue fighting with the FDOT or should I file a claim with my insurance company?
Old 12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My brothers friend had that happen to him in his Z06 and his insurance (road hazard) put a brand new engine in his car.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ****, its in Florida too. That is a nightmare with no fault insurance and all.