General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dailey Driver GTO??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well.. another option out there that im gonna mention is the mopars. the magnum, 300c, charger all have awd as an option, and the hemi has 350 hp so it wont be a turd either. thought i'd post somethin 'different' from everyone else
Old 12-11-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
What's not comfortable about an F-body, assuming you're in the driver's seat? I can be behind the wheel of one of these cars for hours without issues.

I could see how a 6'8" 380lb guy might not fit well though, but I'm not nearly that big.
it's just 560s intelectual advice he gives on occasion. same with black mamba
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

Go with an 05/06 Goat....wayyyy nicer on the inside than my 01 ss, but a lil heavier and no ttops
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned

Or better yet wait for the new Camaro!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

yeah it's not very fun in the snow but like i said it always made it from point A to point B. the traction control really does help in those conditions.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Do ALL the Goats have traction control?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

I've driven one from a dealer this weekend on some slick roads (it's winter here now) and it had new all season tires on it..but all seasons and that much power = no traction...they just aren't the same as winter tires...HOWEVER with some deidcated winter tires a GTO should be unstopable, just like my Trans Am was in the snow..probably even better than what my T/A was..and that thing was a tank with snow tires, and some weight in the back.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm

Old 12-11-2007, 02:31 PM

I own an '04 GTO m6, and it's the best car i have ever owned, period. It's a DD, and it has been driven thru one winter so far. And i'm driving it thru this winter too. I think it handles better than one would expect in the snow. They all have traction control btw. i'm feeling that this is the last car for me, i will just keep rebuilding it and enjoying the power. if you are getting one, i would recommend the '04 year (easier to tune and work on), and it's less prone to electronic glitches. buy it now as the prices are real low now for these. great, great car for the money. it's a sport/luxury oriented coupe with the punch and ***** of a vette.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oct03gto
I wouldn't suggest "waisting" a GTO like that. If it is your only car, then it's OK. But it really is a stupid way to kill a car that people are trying to collect.

FYI, the FOX body is worse in the snow. I only know this due to having both, and the GTO was caught in a slight snow storm once. It made it through fine. Then I proceded to go home and wash it off and cover it for the rest of the winter.

Get a truck with a Maggie on it.

This kinda cracked me up...

I don't know of anybody who is collecting a GTO. They aren't that retro, there is nothing really special about them. They are coupe's with a old model name stamped on them with a V8. Its like a Grand Am on steriods. I see 100 of them everyday. Most people who buy them don't buy them to "collect" them, they just buy it to drive it daily. People I know with GTO's don't even put them away for the winter.

Sorry but I consider the GTO GM's desperate attempt at getting some of the sports car guys back from the mustang. 0 collectability to me.

If your looking for a good daily drive with some ***** in that price range look into a used 2002-2007 Audi S4. One of the nicest interiors you can ever find with AWD and the ***** of one of our cars. Even on snow its handling is AMAZING.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

I agree,
Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by COD02SS
You actually drove it in the snow?
I have 3 or 4 times. I really isn't that hard.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by oct03gto
I wouldn't suggest "waisting" a GTO like that. If it is your only car, then it's OK. But it really is a stupid way to kill a car that people are trying to collect.
Wow, did somebody actually write that?

I don't know of anyone that's "collecting" an '04+ GTO. The only thing they are being used for (and really all they are good for) is a very nice all weather daily driver with some ***** and a sweet interior. But their heavy weight, IRS, overly-refined-for-a-muscle car feel, and bland family coupe appearance removes them from the category of fun weekend toy/race car, for the most part.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will have my second one in April. I am only buying it to keep it stock, and brand new. So, I am collecting them. If you really want an opinion on the GTO, and your use. Go into the GTO section. Ask the very same question. You will find similar answers.

Got over $6k inot my over 1G suspension. 408 RWHP with a cam only and bolt ons. Taken this car to low 12's with bad driving and a six speed. Full weight. So these cars are in fact fast, and very fun. Bought the car as a toy to start with. It has stayed a good weather car. And is so much fun to drive, I have clocked over 30k miles in three years. And I put it away for 4 months out of the year. As well as keep it off the road normally during rain.

Sorry, I would think the very same thing if it was a 2002 SS Camaro or T/A.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
I don't know of anybody who is collecting a GTO. .
Low production numbers make them rare.. I have no Idea where you see 100 a day.. I have not seen another in a few weeks.. I am 1 of 250 made with the color and transmission.. I do daily drive in the snow .. Witch sucks but its that or nothing.. As for styling I find it sleek and sexy... I also love the look on peoples faces when they realize its my car making all that noise.. With some weight reduction last time at the track with me in it the goat weighed in at 3500lbs, witch is a good fighting weight..
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

I think a agree a little with all of you guys. thanx a lot for all the suggestions. Im still not sure what im gonna do but i do appreciate all the ideas. Im actually considering trying to just have 1 car for a while, lately i have had no time to enjoy my toys plus new house equals more stuff to do!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Don't kill me for this, but how about a wrx. You should be able to get a used one for a decent price and they are all wheel drive. I have never driven in snow so if my suggestion is bad don't kill me. You can also try to find a bmw izzetta (urkel's car) that would be way better than a smart or prius.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Teching In

No Kurt, you are not wrong in anything you said....

I dont see why collecting an 04-06 GTO is funny.......People collect old GTO's and all they are are Tempist's with a name that GM stole from Ferrari....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wouldn't really say the cars are collectable, but whatever, to each his own. Do I consider them a sports car? No, its not a luxury car either. But they are a kinda sporty, can be fast if you dump large ammounts of cash into them sorta luxurious car. Hell, even Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear loves the GTO's. Lord knows he hates anything American or Australian.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

My insurance company considers the GTO a touring car, but I don't care since I pay less for insurance than a mustang and have yet to lose to a camaro on the streets.