General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I CANT DECIDE!!! Boost VS H/C

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the only boost option you're considering is rear mount, then H/C is a better option in my book.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one bad thing about H/C in AZ is that you can't push the timing as much as in the midwest. If you're going to go Boost, go for broke, otherwise you'll only break stuff. That's how it gets expensive. A H/C combo with the right size headers and good intake will definitely impress.

They way I'd go about it is...Come up with a budget, then talk to people who have done what you want to do and ask them how much they spent, and if they'd do anything different. Talk to some shops and get prices. Remember either way get a package that works together. If you're an auto, you'll need a converter if you go with a big cam. If you're stick you'll want a new clutch to hold the new found power.

On a boosted stock LS1 with 7-8lbs of boost we see between 470-490rwhp on our Mustang dyno through an automatic. With a cam and a little more boost (10psi)we see about 530rwhp.

Now we've done a few cam only LS6 Z06 Vettes that have made 440rwhp. A FAST intake and a set of TrickFlow heads would definitely make 460-470rwhp, so you're not that far from the S/C.

The big added cost in a boost application is the fuel system required to safely reach the HP levels. Anything under 60lb/hr injectors is a joke, even with only 6-7psi. Now you have to upgrade the pump to keep the injectors from getting thirsty. And I'd also get a boost a pump set up as well for insurance. At 7lbs of boost on a stock motor you'll start seen valve float, so you'll need to change the valve springs while you're at it. To do Boost right, it cost money. To make a lot of power with a H/C combo it takes money. It's just a mater of how much do you have to spend.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tuner@Straightline
The one bad thing about H/C in AZ is that you can't push the timing as much as in the midwest. If you're going to go Boost, go for broke, otherwise you'll only break stuff. That's how it gets expensive. A H/C combo with the right size headers and good intake will definitely impress.

They way I'd go about it is...Come up with a budget, then talk to people who have done what you want to do and ask them how much they spent, and if they'd do anything different. Talk to some shops and get prices. Remember either way get a package that works together. If you're an auto, you'll need a converter if you go with a big cam. If you're stick you'll want a new clutch to hold the new found power.

On a boosted stock LS1 with 7-8lbs of boost we see between 470-490rwhp on our Mustang dyno through an automatic. With a cam and a little more boost (10psi)we see about 530rwhp.

Now we've done a few cam only LS6 Z06 Vettes that have made 440rwhp. A FAST intake and a set of TrickFlow heads would definitely make 460-470rwhp, so you're not that far from the S/C.

The big added cost in a boost application is the fuel system required to safely reach the HP levels. Anything under 60lb/hr injectors is a joke, even with only 6-7psi. Now you have to upgrade the pump to keep the injectors from getting thirsty. And I'd also get a boost a pump set up as well for insurance. At 7lbs of boost on a stock motor you'll start seen valve float, so you'll need to change the valve springs while you're at it. To do Boost right, it cost money. To make a lot of power with a H/C combo it takes money. It's just a mater of how much do you have to spend.
what he said, very well put. Heads/cam will almost always make less power but will generally be more reliable in theory (unless you have to rev the motor to 7000+). Now its nice to have a boosted application because the car can sound and drive completely stock but make nasty power when you floor it, surprising everyone even yourself lol. With heads and cam you know something is there and driveability will suffer alittle (depening on how big the cam is), and anyways the fact is that most people will hear your cam chopping 2 blocks away They're both nice setups to have its a toss up to "what you want" but i'd say definitely sit down and do some numbers on paper with your budget, im sure the answer will be much clearer after that. Money will be the deciding factor, like all things in life... good luck with whatever you decide on !
Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Magnacharger $6495 with injectors and pump and light tune
Old 12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

I'm with most of the others,...go H/C first,....and build up your top end and fuel system,.....come back later on down the road next winter and do turbo. Exactly what i've done....cam only went 11's,...forged pistons and a built top end. Now im gonna go back in and put forged rods in and upgrade the fuel system and buy a couple turbo's and hope to hit 750rwhp and maybe hit a 9.99, who knows though.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

whitedevil
Check my sig.....It's a helluva deal. Everything is only a year old and I have all paperwork. You get everything you need, 5lbs was good enough for ~500rwhp. PM me for ?'s
Old 12-14-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If 3500 is all you have i vote H/C. i started my "little" FI prodject 3 years ago and im still not done. then i have to buy a 2k rear end and finish the chassis. see sig im in about 14,000 right now. Like said above the fuel system has to upgraded. I have a walbro 255 and #60 injectors and i ran ont of fuel at 5,000rpm,making 10 pounds of boost. i had to buy a kenny belle boost a pump. just more money. its not as easy as slapping on .a blower and away you go.

Last edited by conan; 12-14-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

H/C is my vote, 3500 is a better budget for an n/a app imo.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would go with heads and a cam you can put 450 to the wheels on pump gas. i Believe you would need race gas to get that out of a boosted setup. These motors dont like more then about 6lbs on pump gas which will put you around the same are as the h/c setup. You have to consider if you break stuff you will need money to fix it too like the rearend. so with the h/c setup you will save money and if you get a nice complete you will be able to spin it to 7k or more if you want.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

dont be a ******* retard and get boost, get the HC
Old 12-14-2007, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Boost. It would be sick. But H/C would still be Bad
Old 12-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Launching!

My budget is actually around the 4k mark.... give or take a few hundred....

I might have found an inter cooled set up for around 3k... I am really thinking boost. I have not made up my mind yet either, I have a build list for H/C and it totaled around 3100 cash, and thats everything up front too, like new oil pump, patriot heads, ect, ect...
Old 12-14-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dont foget about 500 for a tune.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Yep, I cant forget that....
Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Turbo! Turbo!