General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

cars with rebuilt titles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol to the guy that said there 2500 from the salvage auction, some these cars are stioll bringin in over 8 g totaled
Old 02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

i paid 1775 for my totaled z-28 parted it out made lots of mony and made the silver car halfway decent
Old 02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you're buying the car as a project, and the price is REALLy low, then it might be advisable on a case by case basis.

the reality is that rebuilt cars never have actual book value, it's on a case by case basis. they can be tough to finance, to insure, to register and to sell.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redramair98
lol to the guy that said there 2500 from the salvage auction, some these cars are stioll bringin in over 8 g totaled
only to people that are retarded.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

like said take it to a body shop and mechanic if all that checks out then salvage title cars can be good for someone with a lower budget but they can also cost you a lot more in the long run so make sure you have a couple people throughly check it over, also check the carfax to make sure theyve had it for 2 years, if you see that it was totaled then it went through 5 owners in a year then you know its probably a pile but if it was totaled then 1 owner has had it for 2 or more years i would be a lot less worried
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

My car had a rebuilt title. When the title was transferred from Missouri to South Carolina it didn't carry over. Carolina has Clean and Salvage. They don't consider a rebuilt title a salvage title as most states define them as 2 different things. In some states the amount of damage done to a car to have it qualify as rebuilt is small. I have read that some are 35% or lower before paint. You figure a car books for 15K, thats only 5K worth of damage. A couple of body panels after labor and a bent wheel has you there. Check the laws in the state your buying from. Mine checked out fine. It drives straight and handles good. The only possible wreck related issue was some dimpling on the roof behind the T-tops and the left front tire's camber was off. Don't be scared of the car if the money's right.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go around the car with a magnet where it was hit..it will tell you how much bondo is in the car. See how straight the body lines are, how are the doors lined up. Check to see if the proper bolts are used, if the k member is new, then the car has been hit pretty hard. I would never buy a car with a salvage title unless I bought it wrecked and rebuilt it myself. I have seen some terrible rebuilds that are hacked together that never run right when they are done. If you want a beater, then buy it, but if you have to fix something, it might be harder because if it was hacked together, it will be harder to unhack.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Or you could do what I did - find one that was in some sort of accident but not bad, not reported (looks like deer damage on the driver fender/bumper) and a clean title for dirt cheap because it looks bad with the intent of fixing it up

I got my V6 camaro for just over $3k because it had a bad fender, bumper cover, and the paint is a bit rough. Needed some other work (brakes, tires, LCA bushings/tie rod ends, etc - general wear stuff really). All that's left on it now is mostly the body work (a few odds and ends too like a seeping PS pump and a fuel pressure problem but pretty minor really).

Quick Reply: cars with rebuilt titles