General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What do you guys think about this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you guys think about this deal?

98 z28, auto, 104k $4000

I've already talked to the guy. I am supposed to go look at it tonight. He says it leaks nothing, I guess I'll see when I get there.

It has a lid, hooker headers, and a flowmaster exhaust.

He says the car acts kind of strange in the higher RPMS, but can be driven and runs fine right now. It probably needs a new MAF, its throwing a code for the EVAP & EGR. It also needs a new driver side window motor. I think the EGR code is for the headers. I don't know anything about the EVAP system though.

Car has a new Fuel pump, compressor and evaporator but there's no fluid in the AC lines because he never recharged it after the parts were put in.

I really don't want an Auto, but I can probably fix this car and sell it. Or, I can put a stall & some gear in it, and keep my current car (prelude) as a daily driver, while having this one to haul *** in.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have a mechanic look at it so you know what you're getting into. $4,000 seems a little low to me. You might be spending a lot of money fixing this car.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

it looks nice and for the price that isn't bad at all!! for the evap, it could be a loose hose going the tb or to the solenoid on the driver side head...check it out....but the deal is pretty damn good
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I'd have a mechanic look at it so you know what you're getting into. $4,000 seems a little low to me. You might be spending a lot of money fixing this car.
Yeah, that's the thing I was worried about. I'm bringing a friend of mine with me (he's on this forum) that works at a shop that specializes in LS1 swaps. I'm hoping he can bring EFI live with us and can run the codes there. We'll see. I'm in no hurry to buy the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

that is a great idea, bring efi live...get those damn codes lol..test drive it and see exactly what "kind of strange" in high rpm's
Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bryan04h
that is a great idea, bring efi live...get those damn codes lol..test drive it and see exactly what "kind of strange" in high rpm's
Yeah. We'll see. I don't mind having to put a little money into it. I mean at the price it's at, I can afford to buy it and continue to keep driving my current car.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys, not that anyone cares but I thought I'd let you know. I'm probably going to be buying this car. I went and looked at it today, the bottom of it was bone dry, as well as the 10bolt. It's a Hardtop w/ no ASR. lol The tranny shifts good, car rides smooth. It makes this strange whirling sound when turning. It doesn't sound like the rear end though.

Has an aftermarket SS hood, and a new passenger side headlight, the car was backed into but everything underneath looks fine. The clearcoat is peeling on the hood, as well as underneath the passenger side window. There are no door dings in the car either.

All in all, the car is definitely worth whatever I'm going to pay for it. He's asking 4 but I'm going to offer him 3500 for it and go from there. I'll pay 4 but if I can get it for less, so be it.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Launching!

nice deal
Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jakester136
nice deal
Yeah I'm pretty stoked. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet though. I'd like to be able to keep the car I have now and use it for a daily while I wrench on this one. lol.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

yea sounds like a good deal. And about it acting up at high RPM's I would check the igition parts...plugs,wires,coils b/c if it has a new pump its probally not gettin the proper spark
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ agreed. On the A/C compressor side make sure your buddy flashes it with a 99+ WOT cut off, they go out on 98's because they don't shut off fast enough at WOT and burn up the compressor clutch.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:52 AM

Sounds like a good deal. Cool car too. Kind of a stripper car, which is very cool. Good luck with the rehab of the car. I'm almost done with my "Cheapie Z" project that is kinda like what you just picked up. My Z was super clean when I got it. Just needed some tires and a couple other minor things. I got it so cheap that I couldn't pass up the deal. I saw the potential in the car and had to return it to the glory that an F-body should have. I've done all of the free mods in the 3 weeks that i've had it. It has been a fun diversion from the heavy duty project that my buddy and I are about to start on my '01 SS. Good luck with your Z, whatever you decide to do with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Sweet deal. I paid $3750 for my Formula. All it needed was a Idler pulley,battery and the MAF to be cleaned to get rid of the mid/high RPM miss. Runs like a champ now. You may need to spend a little but this is a good deal and I wouldn't walk away from it!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Sweet deal. I paid $3750 for my Formula. All it needed was a Idler pulley,battery and the MAF to be cleaned to get rid of the mid/high RPM miss. Runs like a champ now. You may need to spend a little but this is a good deal and I wouldn't walk away from it!
I'm prepared to do a little bit of spending. I've been looking for an F-Body for a month or two. I was originally planning on selling my car (currently drive a prelude) and using that cash + other saved money to pick up a nice 01 M6 z28 or TA. However, even if I do pay all $4000 for this car, it's going to be worth it. I'm going to spend a little money and be able to keep my other car to daily.

We'll see. I'm excited.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

sounds good man, good luck with your purchase!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
X2! and make sure you do a "good" test drive before you buy it
Old 01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
X2! and make sure you do a "good" test drive before you buy it
Car is solid. I brought a buddy with me who knows a ton more about these cars than I do. (He's got an LS1 swapped 3rd gen that he did on his own).

We gave it a "good" test drive yesterday. The shifts are firm and fast. I just got off of the phone with the owner, I'm going to look at the car again tomorrow afternoon to look over the body. It was dark out when I went to look at the car yesterday. But from what I saw it looks pretty good. If all is well, I'll be taking it home friday.

Then, this weekend it'll get the usual maintanence stuff, and I'll start the parts ordering spree.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

btw, what color is this? BGM?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Resident

its seems like a nice deal test drive it and if you can get a mechanic look at it.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

At first glance I would say yes it is a BGM. If you are going back to look at it look for 31U on the door. Thats the code for BGM. There is a chance it is mystic teal though, it's hard to tell from the small pic.

Regardless of the color I'd say thats a great deal on the car and would be hard to pass up.