General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Dyno Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to get mine tuned this spring. I only have bolt-on's, and it'll be a while before I get a cam, so I think it will be worth it to get the most out of my current mods until I do go with a cam/stall.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for.....Some deals only include a few runs on the dyno, so it is cheaper.....When I had my 93 dynoed the guy had it on the dyno for about two hours, he probably made 6 or 7 runs. He worked out all the bugs in my car, so it ran great after the tune.

I will have my 00 WS6 tuned this spring by the same guy.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM
Teching In

What is the diff. between getting a tune or a dyno tune? And is it worth the money?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by paugust73
What is the diff. between getting a tune or a dyno tune? And is it worth the money?
Well.. Hmm.. Where to start..

With a dyno tune, The tuner will put it on a dyno and see how the car performs during the different runs. They can see where your making power, your air/fuel levels, and basically make your car perform its best. Its all in the hands of the tuner though. Some tuners are better than others. I know New Era Performance has a outstanding tuner there.

Some people use the hypertech tuners or things like that, which are decent when it comes to tuning. They will by no means put you anywhere close to where you would be with a dyno tune though.

Dont waste you money on a hypertech tuner or those "tune it yourself" tuners.. unless you have any idea about what your doing.. it can be tricky, Bring it to a dyno tuner and get it tuned there. You'll not only get a tune, but also a bunch of dyno graphs also. Ask some of the shops on here about it more if you have any questions or if your interested. They would probibly know a whole lot more than what I know about it.

As far as if its worth it.. I think it is. You can gain power and make your car run better.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

I Got A Kit From A Buddy Of Mine For The Low Beam It's Two Small Boxes With A Small Wire Harness But The Lights Are To Small For The Housing What Type Of Bulb Do I Have To Buy For Them To Just Twist In
Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 02 WS.6(Mods in Sig) baselined 334rwhp/358rwtq. After a good dyno tune, it makes 351rwhp/372rwtq. IMHO, it was well worth it, even for minor bolt ons.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

If you don't want to spend all that much, you could check out MadZ28.com and see about a mail order tune. That's probably going to be what I go with, but I plan to mod more in the future. It's rather cheap, and I have a thread in the LT1-LT4 section with lots of peoples' feedback on it. Most of them said that their mail-order tunes from MadZ28.com were basically dead on with dyno tunes. One guy said he went to get his car dyno tuned and only gained about 1 or 3 hp over the mail-order tune, I believe.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Banned

My car with only a lid/filter/smooth bellows went from a baseline of 325/330 to 340/360 from a tune only. That was still on the stock muffler/stock everything cept what I listed above.

A good dyno tune is essential. The car runs way better now, pulls a lot harder and gets better mileage.

Short answer... A *good* dyno tune is worth every penny.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Id say its worth it, my freind has an 02 SS, he put in LT's, lid, cutout, and he made 345 untuned, and 366 tuned
Old 01-26-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

yall need to stop getting hung up on the dyno numbers. With the little amount of mods some of you are talking about you dont need to have the car tuned. Most guys are just getting you more power at the cost of reliability. Any one can have a car tuned onto the ragged edge but what good does that do you when you wear your engine out faster,start breaking parts,or just blow the motor. The car will be fine with out a tune with bolt ons. Once you start changing major things like heads, cam and Adding FI to the car then you need a tune because the cpu can no longer compensate for the added parts.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

^ I disagree, if you put on full bolt-ons, your car i going to run differently, causing worse MPG, computer problems, SES light, etc. If you get it tuned, get it tuned so your car works with the mods, not trying to tune it to squeeze every little bit of HP out of it. Actually not having it tuned with full bolt-ons can damage the engine in the long run