General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car off ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm yea i didnt think of looking on that. i looked on maps.live. and it looks like a hotel or something
Old 01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL that car with those miles and that price DO NOT match at all. I'd pass on the deal especially with western union only. My car is a 98z with 90k miles and is worth more than that.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got screwed over on ebay and the 20k coverage ya they only send me 2.5k or so.. they only cover parts in motor and didn't pay for the tranny rebuild

3-4 years ago and im much wiser now plus i goto school for automotive.. never again will that happen
Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh its that one. I see its in Milwaukee. I saw the same car advertised in California about 2 weeks ago. that is a scam. If she lets you come see it, buy it on the spot, but if not just forget about it. Never send money for a car through western union. If she cant give you a bank account tracking number to do a transfer, it is probably a scam.

I think this vehicle has been discussed before on one or another forum in a couple differant states. I am pretty sure you will find that it is a scam.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Teching In

yea im pretty sure its a scam at this point. usaully when something seems too good to be true , it usually is.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

That is a $25,000 car there was no way she should be selling that car that cheap.It is a CETA Trans Am that car new was $42,000.that was a scam job. you should go to the florida forum and ask if someone in orlando could look at it for you i would but its 2hrs away.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

HUGE SCAM!!! thers absolutely no way at that price its a legit deal. i found my car on ebay but then the guy ended the auction for me and i bought it in person and there were a couple things about it he didnt mention in the auction but at the price i couldnt pass. a month before i bough my car though i found a deal similar to that one it was 98 ws6 with 30,000 miles for 5,500 on cars.com, when i ask to fly down and pick it up she said she was on an airforce base and couldnt get off to show me it but she could somehow get it shipped, then she said we would be using autotrader.com to do the transaction (i guess she forgot she actually listed it on cars.com not autotrader) and i read autotraders website and they said they stay completely out of money changing hands, so i called her out tellin her i knew she was a scammer and the ad was gone the next day, you gotta be carefull on the net.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by binks0678
HUGE SCAM!!! thers absolutely no way at that price its a legit deal. i found my car on ebay but then the guy ended the auction for me and i bought it in person and there were a couple things about it he didnt mention in the auction but at the price i couldnt pass. a month before i bough my car though i found a deal similar to that one it was 98 ws6 with 30,000 miles for 5,500 on cars.com, when i ask to fly down and pick it up she said she was on an airforce base and couldnt get off to show me it but she could somehow get it shipped, then she said we would be using autotrader.com to do the transaction (i guess she forgot she actually listed it on cars.com not autotrader) and i read autotraders website and they said they stay completely out of money changing hands, so i called her out tellin her i knew she was a scammer and the ad was gone the next day, you gotta be carefull on the net.
yep ship this ship that, sorry cant look at it im in the military atm or im busy all the time..... dumbasses
Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Here is the same car in Charlotte

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/car/541495052.html

Huge Scam

Robin
Old 01-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'm pretty sure this is a bunch of BS, but I'm gonna drive by the place tonight while I'm out cruising and see if there's at least a CETA there.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

I think someone should bust this b#*ch ! Did you read the part were it says the flames can be removed. She does even know what that car is!
Old 01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by beast450
Has anyone ever done this without actaully going to look at the vehicle. Iam consiedering buying a trans am but Iam in wisconsin and the seller is in florida. We would go through ebays Vehicle Purchase Protection. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. Or any thoughts on this. Its hard to pass up, its a lady selling a 02 trans am that she got when she divorced her husband so im getting it pretty cheap. Thansk for the help
Wait your the ladys story sound's exactly like this post that was on here a while ago about a fake selling a T/A for like 8000 dollars.

Anyway i had a friend you bought a 300zx off ebay from a different state. And he lost 4000 dollars and never got the car.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Scam!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt read all these posts but I do remember somethng extremely similar about 3-4 weeks ago for a very cheap trans am as well it was a black on black 02 and she said she got it in a divorce settlement as well and just wants it gone it had like 12,000 miles and she wanted like 10grand. I said I will be there tomorrow for the car and I will pick it up and have a certified check I just need her name and so on and so fourth and basicly she wanted to use western union also since she said I cant pick it up she wanted to ship it. So I said no no dont worrey I have a truck and trailor waiting and I will be there in less then 48hours and have the title ready and that was the last I heard of her so im assumeing just reading the few posts that I did this is a total scam and look for something else
Old 01-18-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crapyboy750
Wait your the ladys story sound's exactly like this post that was on here a while ago about a fake selling a T/A for like 8000 dollars.

Anyway i had a friend you bought a 300zx off ebay from a different state. And he lost 4000 dollars and never got the car.
Ditto on that sotry I think its the same one im talking about it was a black on black trans am someone posted a link to and she had a email addie well yeah it was a total scam
Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm kind of surprised that people still have to ask about these deals.

I, personally, would never buy a car sight unseen. I have, however, bought a few cars, trucks and a couple of SUV's off Ebay for other people and all of them have been good deals. So far...

Just need to do your homework: research the vehicle, check CarFax, look the pictures, ask questions/more pictures, check feedback etc. If they all come out good, then usually the deal is legit and good.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I just rode by the "place". It's a very newly occupied office building. Like still under some construction kinda new. If you weren't sure before, you should be now.

Dave
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
9 Second Club

Like Dave said, you should be clear now on this issue! FYI - I have purchased several cars off the web and have had good luck but I almost got screwed on one as well. Fortunately I had friends like the people posting here right now that saved my about 9k. When you do get serious about the vehicle start with the basics, Carfax, Post on this site, Check for feedback on what ever site it is being sold, then if you get really serious no matter how many pictures they have posted asked for some very specific pictures they don't have posted. Examples would be the inside sticker of the gas cap, request for them to pull up the edge of the carpet in trunk area and get a shot, ideas like that. This will ensure that they actualy have the car in their possesion because it will force them to go out and take pictures. Just a couple of handy ideas to help you from gettting burnt!
Andy
Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think if you go to any craiglist in any major city in the US you will find that same car. I have personally seen it in 4 differant cities. Same car, Same pics, Same sob story, Same SCAM!!

RUN RUN RUN. Dont dare send money. SCAM>
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah. That car, those miles, for $5700? In your ******* dreams.

I would have just clicked the back button on my browser.

"If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is."...

Quick Reply: Buying a car off ebay?