General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a car off ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Buying a car off ebay?

Has anyone ever done this without actaully going to look at the vehicle. Iam consiedering buying a trans am but Iam in wisconsin and the seller is in florida. We would go through ebays Vehicle Purchase Protection. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this. Or any thoughts on this. Its hard to pass up, its a lady selling a 02 trans am that she got when she divorced her husband so im getting it pretty cheap. Thansk for the help
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not bad for buyers, I work for ebay and paypal make sure you read the protection policy on ebay motors so you know what you are covered up to. Usually ebay motors offers coverage up to $20,000. Also make sure you check to see if there is a lean on the title before you buy it. There may or may not be a few things the lady didnt describe that you may find, how is she wanting payment?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

i bought a truck off ebay 3 years ago without seeing it. drove there and the guy let me test drive it and look the whole thing over. If i didnt like it he said i didnt have to buy it. Was a very good vehicle. I woudnt be too worried about the car, but i would make sure you look the car over well so you dont get burned.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

I bought my car through ebay sort of.....I actually found it on ebay (seller was a chevy dealer), called the seller and had them check financing options and such and send me a whole crap load of pics. They called back later that day and said it was mine if I wanted it, which I accepted. They ended the auction early and the actual transaction was completed through the dealer as if I had walkd in off the street but I found it on ebay.

BTW I'm in NY and I flew down to Florida and the dealer had somebody pick me up and paid for my plane tickets
Old 01-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Teching In

well the lady said the title is clean, I didnt find the car on ebay either but this is how she wants to sell it. I guess the payment says something with Western union and me sending money to them so they say they have the money for the car so the lady can ship it. Theres so many rules to it which is what kinda makes me uneasy
Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I have bought over 15 cars on ebay in different states and bought them all un seen. I did have a few that when I arrived, The car was not what it was represented as in the auction. I ended up not buying the car. But on the most part. Have not had really any problems. Just look over the car really well and if the seller has a problem with you looking over the veh and checking it out, Then I would not buy the vehicle. I have had a few even shipped from New Mexico.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:49 PM
KBG
Launching!

did it once on a Grand Cherokee for my wife and got an excellent deal and it was what they said it would be (never looked at it first)......then I did it again on a Tundra for my self (color was white) and it had a bunch of dents that didn't show in the pics and they didn't disclose the body damage and there was no clearcoat left on the hood

the way I figure if you don't go and look at the car first and it's not what you expect then it's your own fault !!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beast450
well the lady said the title is clean, I didnt find the car on ebay either but this is how she wants to sell it. I guess the payment says something with Western union and me sending money to them so they say they have the money for the car so the lady can ship it. Theres so many rules to it which is what kinda makes me uneasy
Western Union sounds like a scam, especially if you are not going to view the car at all or bring the cash to them in person to pick it up... With Western Union, there is no way to track the cash once you send it to them, and no way to insure yourself in case they are screwing you over. I'd find a different car with a safer way of buying it. Don't rush into it just to have one ASAP.

If you go through with it this way, make sure to post up a warning to others when you get burned.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Teching In

has anyone used the VPP for buying a car on ebay?

well I got an invoice from ebay for the car, and on it was the thing with the westen union. and im guessing thats how they deal with it, but im not toally sure. this is what the little bit says:

Payment must be submitted via Western Union Money Transfer to an eBay Financing Center Agent in charge of this transaction. The eBay Financing Center Agent will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it will be the case, the Agent will refund the payment to the Buyer

Last edited by beast450; 01-18-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beast450
has anyone used the VPP for buying a car on ebay?

well I got an invoice from ebay for the car, and on it was the thing with the westen union. and im guessing thats how they deal with it, but im not toally sure. this is what the little bit says:

Payment must be submitted via Western Union Money Transfer to an eBay Financing Center Agent in charge of this transaction. The eBay Financing Center Agent will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it will be the case, the Agent will refund the payment to the Buyer
I'm telling you, it's a simple math equation.

please use Western Union = we are going to screw you out of your money
Old 01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Where in FL is the car? I might be able to swing by and take a look at it for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Teching In

4700 Millenia Blvd Ste 250 Orlando, FL. thats the adress i got, but wouldnt that be a business?

and the lday said it ready to be shipped, which seems kinda sketch
Old 01-18-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Tell her your coming to look at it. If she gets sketchy, say thanks and call eBay to report a possible scam. If she obliges and say you can, then at least you know she has the car and isn't hiding it I guess.
Either way, there's no way in hell I would use Western Union.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Teching In

alright ill try that
Old 01-18-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have bought several cars off ebay. All I can say is look it over well before you give any money to the seller. I have been burned 2 times, sight unseen and shipped from other states, and have had many good buys. I also used to sell cars on there when I had my dealership. I always told people that I prefer they look the car over before bidding because the car is sold as is. I didnt want an unsatisfied buyer. I only had one jerk back out, and he didnt even drive the car. I didnt know that a brougham meant it was supposed to have a landau or vinyl top on it. Although the pics didnt have it either, so I still didnt understand. but he backed out. I agreed to give his deposit back, but Then he started emailing people on all my auctions and telling them I was ripping people off. His mistake was that I still had his deposit. So I kept it. He even admited not seeing the vinyl top in the pics. I definately put that in the next auction so there would be no confusion and sold it to a very happy guy for almost double what he bid.

Other than him I have always had good luck on ebay with cars. A lot of times cheaper than dealer only auctions. I bought a bunch of cars off there for resale.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Do Not.......i Repeat, Do Not Use Western Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You Will Get Fucked Out Of Your Money!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM

sounds a little scammy to me....idk.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

ive bought two sight unseen on ebay, lol. the v6 wasnt as great as shown. but the z28 i got a hell of a deal on and it was in great shape. 72k miles for 8500 with some mods already
Old 01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Ok the lady said she could not wait for me to come take a look at it. seems like a scam now to me considering the lady hardly made sentences that made sence, here was the add anyway and u can tell me what u think. looks iffy
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/car/541504556.html
Old 01-18-2008, 05:14 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

If you look that address up on Yahoo and use the Satellite view, it looks like an empty lot to me.

All of the Western Union deals I've seen on ebay are those too good to be true scams.

Quick Reply: Buying a car off ebay?