General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

deciding my future... advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zypher
Ok, this is basically my situation. Im 17 and a Junior in HS. My family has a 2000 v6 camaro with 165k on it. The car is mine when I graduate for only 1k. But, thats a little more than a year and a half away and the car will have probably close to 190k on it by then. I'll be working the next 2 summers and can save atleast 6k for a new car, or to put into the v6. My question is what would be the smartest, or best thing to do? Should I buy another camaro with my 6k, ( I really would like to have a z28), should I make my v6 a v8, should I buy something totally different for college, or just save my money and invest it into the v6 and make it nice. In the end I'd like to either have a z28, or a really nice v6. If I dont get a z28, I plan on buying new rims, new paint, lowering, and possibly rebuilding the v6 the summer before I go to college. But I figure I could grab a decent z28 for around 6k by the time Im ready to graduate, seeing as how the new camaro's will be out, so prices should fall a bit on 4th gen cars. so, what do you guys think?

Ok this is what you do.... buy the v6 camaro and sell it for parts......after you do that buy an LT1 for cheap......use the money make it an LT4 ..... then N20 and you will be shitting on people.... and still have money left over......pimpin
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Im pretty sure the car would require a little more work than that.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zypher
its a lot when your parents only make about 65k combined... and dad has been at his job for 20 years...
not trying to sound bad, but i was just trying to say it sounds like more than it is once you have that...it just goes away so quick you wonder where it all goes...
Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

hey man..do you already have enough credits to graduate?? cuz when i was in highschool i had enough credits at the beginning of my senior year that i didnt have to go the full day..so starting my second semester i only had 2 classes in the morning and i was outta school by like 10:30. So i could pretty much work full time, go to school, and pay for my car...Also man, if you can get another job that pays better it will help a ton..when i first got my car when i was 16 i was making minimum wage..i found another job and was making a couple bucks an hour more, but i was still doing the same exact thing as i was at my old job..so i really didnt have to work any harder but i made more money. Either way man, good luck with whatever you choose...
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

my Firebird is currently under the knife. I'm doing a 3.4 V6 to a LT1 V8 swap. I'm one of few who actually do go through with the swap instead of selling the V6 and buying a V8. Persoanlly I had an attachment to my car. I've already had it for 4 years, through HS and some of college and just couldn't toss it to the side. I also knew that if I was going to buy a newer car it'd have to be a clean low mileage one. AKA probably $15K, which I simply just don't have $15k laying around. So I opted to go the swap route. All in all I've almost spent $5k and will have a heads/cam 355LT1 hopefully making around 350rwhp. It'll be enough, when it's not I'll put a bottle on it...Goodluck in your decision.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would recommend a z except I have a theory, one thing for you to think about. Your insurance will vary depending which model your car is, with the v6 being cheaper to insure than the Z or SS. So I'm not sure, but I'm thinking if you put the LS1 in the base camaro, the insurance rate might still be low because the car model is not Z28 or SS, even when you tell them it has 8 cylinders. I'm not sure though. I'll have to ask my insurance buddy at hockey tonight if I can remember.

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 01-26-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save up...depends on what year you are looking for(LT1 or LS1) but you could pick up a nice LT1 Z28 for under 6k.If you get lucky maybe find one that has a little front end damage and put the front clip from that V6 onto the Z and save a little. I would definatly reccomend going for an LS1 car though.

As for fixing up the V6...I would advise against it. Guys on here are making good power with turbos and such on the V6s but just like using a turbo on a V8 you loose reliability.That s my opinion.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Since you live in Dayton Ohio my home 20. I'll throw a little love your way.

I was so damn happy to get out of high school. And the staff of my high school was so damn happy to see me go, I found I missed out on something. I volunteered to be a soldier instead of getting an education.

You're smart enough to be thinking about school but in my opinion worring too much about your ride to and from. If you get the education you won't need to worry about a 6K car for too long. We leased out kids cars when they went off to school. Leasing has really changed, that's not an option today. All you need is transportation. It might take 6K to keep the existing car on the road for the next 5 or 6 years. Save your money INVEST in an education, invent something. Bill Gates once worried about the same thing. Today he drives anything he wants.

An old man and his dog!