General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GTO versus WS6

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
WOW!!! You are def in a group of your own! A4's with 2:73's! I agree with you in some things but what do you think about what

1.) The F-Body interior.. The monsoon radio (GM used this in so many cars) is styled like something from the early 90's! Beside the layers and layers of plastic My BIGGEST complaint is the cat convertor hump in the passenger side. This has to be one of the silliest things i have ever seen in any vehicle 2.) I think the Camaro is clean but I think the front end is horrible even though i have owned 3 LS1 Camaros The side and rear profiles cannot be beat though I also agree i like the clean lines that is one reason I'm happy with my formula
I like the 3.23s for the stronger launch, but the 2.73s offer higher speed downshifts to 1st & 2nd when going WOT from a roll. Either gear does fine for a street LS1 car (I've had both), but I'd want more if I was building a track car obviously. Though either gear can be plenty fast with a bigger stall speed. Either way, I'll take just about any gearing with an A4 over the M6.

The stock radio looks fine to me. I actually can't stand most aftermarket radios....they are just too "obnoxious" looking for lack of a better word. Don't really mind the plastic, I don't really want a Bently-like interior in my muscle cars. Hump on the passenger side doesn't bother me in the least, I don't sit there. In 1998 I disliked the new Camaro front, but now I love it.

I just want to make it clear that I don't hate GTOs (I've been accused of that before), they are very nice cars. I just don't see them as a special weekend cruiser/toy type of car the way I do with an F-body. They are just a nice daily driver coupe IMO. I just don't see the two cars as being comparable. But to each his own.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-25-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I just want to make it clear that I don't hate GTOs (I've been accused of that before), they are very nice cars. I just don't see them as a special weekend cruiser/toy type of car the way I do with an F-body. They are just a nice daily driver coupe IMO. I just don't see the two cars as being comparable. But to each his own.
Agreed - I have driven both cars, and the Goat is more of a refined driving experience. The goats feel more like a luxury coupe with *****, and they are easier to live with everyday than the F-bodies. The F-bodies are less refined, more obnoxious, and more of a head-turning weekend cruiser. If I could, I would get a Goat to drive to work and road trips and a WS6 to mod and race on the weekends.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

^^^ I'm with you on that .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that my opinion is in the minority here, but I would just like to go on record as stating the following:

- I actually like the 4th gen F-body interiors. They are just not as bad as people make them out to be. The leather is pretty cheap, granted, but when optioned with cloth these interiors hold up pretty well (my average mileage '02 looks great inside even with 70k+ miles). The interior ergonomics are great, and I feel more of a "glove type" fit inside a Camaro/Firebird than a GTO.

- When I was younger, I liked the looks of a Trans Am better than a Camaro, but not anymore. The Trans Am (espeically the WS6) tends to appeal to younger people more because it's extremely bold and pretty wild looking. Don't get me wrong, I still think they look great, but as I've aged my tastes have changed and I now prefer the cleaner (yet still aggressive) look of the Camaro a little more. As for any F-body vs GTO, I think the F-body always looks better. But that's not to say the GTO isn't nice as well. Just preferance.

- I don't like manual transmissions. I'm all about the automatic, and to people that feel autos have no place in a "muscle car" and are not "fun", I say to you: Get bent.

Sorry, went off topic a bit, but I just felt the need to separate myself from the group.
I love how they sit, but regardless the interiors are still junk.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

This question is for some actual GTO owners. Hows your gas mileage? Ill be doing 90% city driving btw!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

my 98 ws6 gets about 20 mixed driving. (27-8 on the highway)

my 06 GTO gets about 18.5 mixed driving. (25 on the highway)
Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I wanted a new daily driver and had been going back and forth between a GTO/TA/SS for a couple months. I figured I'll be driving the car for the next few years and wanted to put some thought into it. I've always wanted a Vette since I was a little kid, but have to have back seats for my nephews.
I wanted something fast, capable of <14 sec 1/4s stock and able to squash almost anything on the road. They all do that.

Looks wise I prefer something more subdued, so I scratched off the TA. The SS is kinda in your face with the hood and all, but no moldings keep it tasteful. After a while the looks of the 04' GTO really grew on me, the only thing I liked better on the 05/06 GTO was the blacked out tail lights.

I liked the TA interior better then the SS's, but the GTO just blows them both away. As far as the stereo goes, I don't understand how people complain about the sound on the GTO stereos. With the right settings it's much better than the F-bod. The 6 disk in dash changers are known to crap out pretty quickly but replacements are plentiful and cheap.

As a DD I needed to get somewhat halfway decent mileage. I was hoping for close to 20 mixed and 25+ highway. A manual helps this and I prefer manual anyway so I figured I had to get the 6speed.

I ended up with an M6 GTO. It sounds awesome, rides nice, and is plenty fast. The seats are nice and comfy front and back. I'm looking forward to owning/driving it for the next few years.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think everyone has given you great advice. One more thing to consider is if you're wanting to do your own maintenance and modding. I'm an old guy, and can change the plugs in my GTO in about 15 minutes with a one inch and a three inch extension. I also do all the fluid changes myself, and even replaced the rear end myself. I haven't worked on hundreds of cars, but the GTO is the easiest car to maintain I've ever owned. I've heard the F-Bodies can be a bit harder to do headers and such.

I'd find an 06, but my opinion is biased just a tad. The rear end seems to be the biggest weak point, but it is just hit and miss and not limited to any year. Wheel hop is also a common issue with the IRS, but I haven't had much of a problem with it except at the track. Drag bags will be my fix for that this year. I like the dual exhauset on the 05-06's and the hood scoops. There's a few WS6s running around here, and I think they are beautiful too. If I was going to buy an F-Body, that's the one I'd get, but I seriously dout there's any other car that would cause me to fall out of love with my GTO. The GTO is unique, and I often find myself the star of a one-car show when I stop for gas, go to the parts store, etc.

One man's gripe is another man's compliment too. I'm glad people mistake my GTO for a Grand Prix...especially the cops. It also makes for some funny comments like the time a stroked t/a and I just got done exchanging short runs through town listening to each other's car. In Herky, we both did a 180 to head back into town. I turned around first and mashed the throttle...lit up the tires and fishtailed. At the first light he was motioning me to roll down the windows, "Damn! Is that thing rear wheel drive?" lol

Gerry
Old 02-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
Thats my opinion as well. I rarely see camaro SS's around where I live, and compared to the number of WS6s out there, i'd much rather have the SS. But i'm partial to the camaros. An SS looks 10 times better than a WS6 - even in stock form with the 10 spokes. And as far as the WS6 being lighter, that may be true but it's ALWAYS a driver's race between the two.

Keep your car.
agreed, not many ss camaro around here either, a ton of ta's. also i thought the camaro was lighter, TA's have ground skirt and heavier seats. not by much but i thought they were heavier.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and since you don't show a location and you said "daily driver", I have to add that with the tires on the stock 18's the GTO is the worst car I've ever driven in the snow. If it is your DD and you live in some place like Chicago, you will need snow tires.

Gerry
Old 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSWS6

I guess you must have meant that an SS looks 10 times better than a GTO, because anyone that thinks an SS looks better than a WS6 needs their eyes checked.
I agree!!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01riceeater
This question is for some actual GTO owners. Hows your gas mileage? Ill be doing 90% city driving btw!
My 04 M6 Goat got just under 20 MPG with 60% highway and 40% city.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

If you want a fun everyday vehicle that is great on the dragstrip, road course, or just driving on the street, get the GTO. Getting parts are not that difficult and this car is built strong. Its funny how everyone complains about the weak clutch, trans, rear, ect.. but so far at 40K miles and close to 200 passes, this car rocks! This is far the best car I have ever owned.

Gas mileage is around 20 local and 26 on the highway.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
I love how they sit, but regardless the interiors are still junk.
I have no problem with the F-body interiors, other than the fact they received very cheap leather. That's one of the reasons I like Camaro interiors better; they can be had with cloth. Otherwise though, plastic is plastic, and most every car today has a TON of plastic inside.

I think it's funny how nobody used to bash the F-body interiors 8-10 years ago when they were new. But somehow it's become the "in" thing to do in the last few years. Not sure why. I liked 'em then, and I still like 'em now.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Some of the people that have had diff problems have switched gear oils to quiet them up. I put Torco RGO in mine and it has quieted up a lot. The suspension starts to sag a bit as the cars get older and unfortunately this leads to the meaty 245 BFGs to strut rub. I have the '05-'06 18"s with Bridgestone 235s and mine do not rub, but I will end up upgrading the suspension and replacing the strut mounts when it is time for new shocks.

I have an A4 with 95% city driving, I average 17mpg. On long trips I get around 22mpg out of it.

On the M6, I'd expect between 15-18mpg in town and as much as 24-26mpg highway.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I still get about 23 mpg out on the highway even with the cam, but the tune makes a huge difference. I don't know what I get around the city because I'm never "in town" long enough to give you a good guess. Maybe 16 or so?

Gerry
Old 02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I faced the same decision when i purchased my car. Alright here are a few things up to help you make your mind. I dont know why people are sayin that the GTO is lighter....its curb weight is 3725 compared to a WS6 which is 3499. Also with an 04 GTO keep in mind that the hood is plain and doesnt have the scoops like the 05s and 06s. Also the exhaust on the 04s is true dual same side exit...so it doesnt have the traditional split dual exhaust like the 05-06s or the T/As. Im sure both of those things can be changed if you wanted but I am just pointing it out. I am just not a fan of the exterior styling of the GTOs compared to a WS6. I have driven three 04 GTOs and wasnt impressed with the wheel hop and i swear it was kickin in and out of posi!!!! However I loved the seats in those GTOs...good god they are comfy

Comparing performance the GTO is rated for 0-60 in 5.5 and 1/4 mile in 14 flat.
WS6 is 5.1 0-60 and 13.8 in the 1/4 mile.

As far as the rear ends the people have been talkin about for gearing I believe both auto and manual 04 GTOs came with 3.46 gears and for the WS6 you will have 3.42s if its a manual and 3.23s if its an auto...no ifs ands or buts about it.

Personally i love the red interior gauges of the T/As and i think the 500 watt monsoon 10 speaker system is pretty kick ***. Im not sure how the 200 watt Blaupunkt stereo performs in the GTO.

All of this is JMHO and all i did provide some facts about both cars. Everyone on here is goin to be bias with which ever car they own. However it just happens to be that WS6 is faster and it has the look that can make babies cry and instill fear in to the hearts of many

Get in and drive both and then decide best advice i can give you along with a few facts....hope this all helps
Old 02-17-2008, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
Comparing performance the GTO is rated for 0-60 in 5.5 and 1/4 mile in 14 flat.
WS6 is 5.1 0-60 and 13.8 in the 1/4 mile.
13.8 in an LS1 WS6 = some pretty bad driving.

They should do an easy 13.5 or better with A4 or M6 stock, plus decent tires and driving.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

13.8 in an LS1 WS6 = some pretty bad driving.

They should do an easy 13.5 or better with A4 or M6 stock, plus decent tires and driving.
Agreed but I was goin by factory ratings because i know that if i say it can do 13.5 then it will start a pissin match with the GTO guys
Old 02-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Launching!

ill give you some great advice, WS6 for the win!

Last edited by RoWDyWS6; 02-17-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spell check