General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chevy SSR questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk...but they do have alota power....im sure it can tho
Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Don't forget to include suspension... to tow a car on a trailer I'm not sure what the tongue weight would be on that, probably in the neighborhood of 500-900 lbs depending on your trailer, I'm not sure the way an SSR is in "stock" form could handle that no matter what class hitch you have. It may be good if you are using a car "dolly", but a double axle car trailer I don't think the suspension can take it. I towed a car on a dolly with my dad's F250 superduty crew cab and you could tell a HUGE difference in the handling, braking, those trucks have twin piston calipers up front with giant brakes.
No, the guys are saying that if you are doing a lot of towing that you may need the air bag suspension for the rear, but just small trips here and there not in mountainous roads you will be fine with the stock suspension and upgraded hitch.

This is all of coarse for what I want to tow (5,000 lbs or less). I'm sure if you wanted to tow more like 10,000 lbs there would be more you would need.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:28 PM

The trailer hitch that you will want to upgrade to is a class III/IV. It is the same hitch that is found on most full size trucks and suv's. The class III/IV will has a larger receiver, 2 1/2 inches, than the class I/II receiver, 1 inch. Good luck with your retrofit.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
The trailer hitch that you will want to upgrade to is a class III/IV. It is the same hitch that is found on most full size trucks and suv's. The class III/IV will has a larger receiver, 2 1/2 inches, than the class I/II receiver, 1 inch. Good luck with your retrofit.
The guy I mentioned has the stage III's and IV's for sale and could install it for me. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Best of luck to ya. Let us know how the SSR tows.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
Sounds like you've got it figured out. Best of luck to ya. Let us know how the SSR tows.
Lol, it will be a while, as I don't even have one yet. I've always wanted one since they came out, but wouldn't be able to justify buying one unless it could tow a car here and there. Now I know it can with some slight modifications. It will still be a while before I get one.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CALL911
Specifically wanting to know if it will pull a car trailor with a 3500 lb car on it.
I think this is the reason the Big Three don't produce the Lightning, SRT-10, and SSR anymore. It seems like there are other vehicles available with the (right) powerplant for this job.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bessie
I think this is the reason the Big Three don't produce the Lightning, SRT-10, and SSR anymore. It seems like there are other vehicles available with the (right) powerplant for this job.
The majority of the people who buy those trucks or who are in the market for those trucks don't really care about towing as most all other trucks can do that. They get the trucks for their appearance and the fact they are sporty, and in some cases can be made fast.

I am not in that majority. I want it for its sporty looks and if it can tow.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Teching In

The majority of the people who buy those trucks or who are in the market for those trucks don't really care about towing as most all other trucks can do that. They get the trucks for their appearance and the fact they are sporty, and in some cases can be made fast.

I am not in that majority. I want it for its sporty looks and if it can tow.
My uncle talks highly of Ford trucks in terms of towing. Good luck with the search.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

My uncle talks highly of Ford trucks in terms of towing. Good luck with the search.
Uhh.. the search is over. And I'm not getting a truct for towing purposes, I just wanted to see if an SSR would tow what I wanted it to, which I already found out.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

I drove an 05 SSR (LS2) for over a year. I would completely agree with what they told you about the hitch and cooling system. There is not much room for air flow in those things and nowhere to solidly hook up a hitch. SSRFanatics.com would be a good place to get the specifics. And a lot of people disenchanted with the handling would do well to know that the Eagle RSA's that come on the trucks limit them horribly. It is a trailblazer with a roadster body on it after all. There are plenty of guys in the low 12's and high 11's with these trucks and thats what they were made for. Not really towing
Old 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FMX05
I drove an 05 SSR (LS2) for over a year. I would completely agree with what they told you about the hitch and cooling system. There is not much room for air flow in those things and nowhere to solidly hook up a hitch. SSRFanatics.com would be a good place to get the specifics. And a lot of people disenchanted with the handling would do well to know that the Eagle RSA's that come on the trucks limit them horribly. It is a trailblazer with a roadster body on it after all. There are plenty of guys in the low 12's and high 11's with these trucks and thats what they were made for. Not really towing
Yeah, thats pretty much the concencus. They also mentioned that the 6 speeds weren't quite as bad overheating wise than the auto's.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

CALL911,

What make/model did you go with?

Just wondered man.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

CALL911,

What make/model did you go with?

Just wondered man.
Read post #26. I haven't got one yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Read post #26. I haven't got one yet.
Read post #30.

Uhh.. the search is over.
Then the search isn't over. It took me 15 months to 'search' for the right car
Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Read post #30.

Then the search isn't over. It took me 15 months to 'search' for the right car
Post #30 I thought was refferring to my search on this thread about finding out if the SSR had a towing capability to fit my needs. When I said "The search is over" I was talking about the fact that I had found the facts out on if the SSR had towing capability.

Finding the right truck for me will be a piece of cake. I am already set on an SSR especially now that I know with a few slight modifications it will tow what I need it to. To find the exact SSR for me will be easy as well since there are plenty of them out there, and the popularity of them was never high, so there are lots at dealers right now alone that are letting them go for dirt cheep since their value isn't much and its continuing to drop. Not to say anything about the street market for them. As far as the market goes on the SSR from what I am seeing, most people are trying to get rid of them, which in turn keeps the value on them dropping, which is good for a potential buyer like myself.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM

Default Towing with an SSR

The SSR is built on the Trailblazer platform. It is a stout frame with ample power. The real problem is the factory hitch. It is a light weight. With a proper class 3 or 4 hitch, trailer brakes, and correct tires the SSR will tow a car trailer. You really don't need a deisel for that. I have an 05 6litre 6speed and it tows fine. The brakes are fine. You should have trailer brakes too.
As far a finding an inexpesive one good luck. Everyone I see is still in the high 20's. Granted they were near 50 new. But for being near 10 years old they still hold their value.

Last edited by TJWSSR; 05-22-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

4 year old thread, man.

Quick Reply: Chevy SSR questions...