General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chevy SSR questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chevy SSR questions...

How are the Chevy SSR's at towing? It is a truck, it does have an LS1 (and I think the later models maybe came with LS2's?) and I am guessing someone makes a hitch for it, but that doesn't mean it will pull hardly anything.

Specifically wanting to know if it will pull a car trailor with a 3500 lb car on it.

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably as useful as it's bed....which can only store it's top when down =T.....just googled it and towing capacity seems to be around 2500 lbs
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1NSYD
It's probably as useful as it's bed....which can only store it's top when down =T.....just googled it and towing capacity seems to be around 2500 lbs
hmmm.... I was really hoping it could do more. I wonder what that limitation is based off of? Would it be a power limitation? Or a structural limitation?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

probably both since it has a LSx powerplant its built for towing and by the looks of it probably useful as a SB el camino. its more of a show and go truck
Old 01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Brakes are the limitation.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

www.performancetrucks.net
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chevelledude33
Brakes are the limitation.
Are you joking? Or are you serious?

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Yeah, I checked a search over there with no good results. Most guys who have the SSR are more interested in show and speed vs the towing. Most of the towing guys are running diesels or something more potent than the SSR.

I just want to know if it would tow the trailer with a car on it safely or not, and if not what are its limiting factors for sure. If it is the brakes and or power, that can easily be fixed. However if we are talking about a structural limitaion that won't come easy or cheep.

Anyone?
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM
NKAWTG...N

Interesting question. I'd be interested to know as well.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM

My educated guess would be that it is an issue of a sport tuned suspension...ie one built for play not for work. Also, the wheel, and more specifically, the tire combo. Anyone doing heavy towing will want a load range "E" tire. I would be very surprised if the SSR has a load range E tire. The Lightning and SRT10 Ram trucks are in the same boat as the SSR. They have plenty of power to tow, but they are not setup to do so. I think max towing capacity on those trucks is around 5,000 LBS. If you want a good toy hauler that is also fun step up to a diesel. Best of luck.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
My educated guess would be that it is an issue of a sport tuned suspension...ie one built for play not for work. Also, the wheel, and more specifically, the tire combo. Anyone doing heavy towing will want a load range "E" tire. I would be very surprised if the SSR has a load range E tire. The Lightning and SRT10 Ram trucks are in the same boat as the SSR. They have plenty of power to tow, but they are not setup to do so. I think max towing capacity on those trucks is around 5,000 LBS. If you want a good toy hauler that is also fun step up to a diesel. Best of luck.
I think I would have better luck if someone chimed in who really knew exactly what the limitations were on the 2500 lb tow limit other than a "educated guess".
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
I think I would have better luck if someone chimed in who really knew exactly what the limitations were on the 2500 lb tow limit other than a "educated guess".
Don't be an *******, everyone's trying to help.

Limiting factors are not just horsepower. As stated above, suspension, brakes, tires, transmission, rear end. These are all things that are factors in towing. Especially when you're talking about 4000 lb (trailer + car). That's a lot of inertia. You're not just towing it in a straight line and then rolling to a stop. You have to think about going around curves, having to come to stops in traffic, and having to speed up/slow down to keep up with normal traffic. I don't know if you've ever towed anything heavy with a truck that's capable of towing, but you definitely notice a difference. The trailer pulls it's weight around and can sway the truck back and forth a little.

I've never driven an SSR, but my 'educated guess' is that it is not capable of towing a 4000 lb unit. I'm sure it could tow a little john boat or a little uhaul trailer or something, but two tons is a whole different story. You don't want to risk an accident that can ruin both the SSR and your car on the trailer. Find a vehicle that's capable of towing that weight.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thmass6
Don't be an *******, everyone's trying to help.

Limiting factors are not just horsepower. As stated above, suspension, brakes, tires, transmission, rear end. These are all things that are factors in towing. Especially when you're talking about 4000 lb (trailer + car). That's a lot of inertia. You're not just towing it in a straight line and then rolling to a stop. You have to think about going around curves, having to come to stops in traffic, and having to speed up/slow down to keep up with normal traffic. I don't know if you've ever towed anything heavy with a truck that's capable of towing, but you definitely notice a difference. The trailer pulls it's weight around and can sway the truck back and forth a little.

I've never driven an SSR, but my 'educated guess' is that it is not capable of towing a 4000 lb unit. I'm sure it could tow a little john boat or a little uhaul trailer or something, but two tons is a whole different story. You don't want to risk an accident that can ruin both the SSR and your car on the trailer. Find a vehicle that's capable of towing that weight.

Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to find someone who knows vs someone who is guessing.

Yes, I have towed before, not enough to be an expert by any means, however I am not talking about towing accross the US here, I am just talking maybe a few hundred miles at most, at which case tires aren't really a factor, nor are the brakes unless they REALLY aren't up to the task of added weight.

However if again this is a structural limitation, then it doesn't look like it will be fixable by some more power or bigger brakes.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM

Here is a quote from Consumer Guide in regard to the towing capacity of the '06 SSR:

"A real muscle truck. Chevrolet pegs 0-60 mph at 5.3 sec with the manual transmission, 5.5 with automatic. Automatic-transmission models smooth from a stop, upshift sharply under aggressive throttle. Manual transmission has precise, hefty feel and provides quicker launches. Towing capacity is 2500 lb."

My "educated guess" comes from 5 years of diesel truck ownership and towing trailers similar to what you are planning to do. Towing for several hundred miles with a vehicle that is overloaded by a car and car trailer would not be my idea of a fun trip. SSR's are beautiful vehicles, but use your head if you plan to tow that much weight with this vehicle. Sure, the SSR will probably do the job, but when you get to your destination you will probably need a change of pants. And what if the weather is not perfect...ie rain, or wind? You won't catch this guy towing a large amount of weight with a SSR.

Also, checkout www.ssrfanatic.com I found a few threads about towing there. Most of the folks that tow with the SSR, tow lite weight items like jet skis and the like. Check it out.
Alan
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the info and the link. I'll check it out.

Anyone else?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

I've never owned one, but I drove the LS1 version at the GM Autoshow in Motion. It felt like a truck, not a sports car. Handling was poor. Acceleration wasn't anything like an F-body with an LS1. It's a great looking truck, but it's heavier than sin - maybe 1500# or more than a Z-28. I think Consumer Reports made up those numbers.

Rowin Gearz gave the best advice I've seen here.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I've never owned one, but I drove the LS1 version at the GM Autoshow in Motion. It felt like a truck, not a sports car. Handling was poor. Acceleration wasn't anything like an F-body with an LS1. It's a great looking truck, but it's heavier than sin - maybe 1500# or more than a Z-28. I think Consumer Reports made up those numbers.

Rowin Gearz gave the best advice I've seen here.
Just because they made them for show and go, doesn't mean their go will be the same level as in a sports car. If anything they were underpowered with the LS1 in them for a sports truck, but I don't think most people who are into buying them get them because they want a fast truck anyways.

Back on topic though, anyone else have any info? I'd love to hear from someone who owns one and who might have some experience in towing with one.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CALL911
Not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to find someone who knows vs someone who is guessing.

Yes, I have towed before, not enough to be an expert by any means, however I am not talking about towing accross the US here, I am just talking maybe a few hundred miles at most, at which case tires aren't really a factor, nor are the brakes unless they REALLY aren't up to the task of added weight.

However if again this is a structural limitation, then it doesn't look like it will be fixable by some more power or bigger brakes.

That's not entirely true. If tires are overloaded, even for a few hundred miles, they can blow out. If you have way more load on them than they are made to handle and hit a big pothole or bump, they will blow out a lot easier. Same thing with the brakes, if an animal runs out in front of you or if someone in front of you slams on their brakes, your brakes will never be able to hold up if they are overloaded. They will get too hot, the rotors will probably glaze over and/or warp, and you won't be able to stop very effectively. It seems to be the consensus that towing a car with one of these isn't the best idea. Just my .02.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

they just simply were not made to tow much more than a couple jet skis end of story they are a show and go only application they have the power the truck is just simply not made to tow
Old 01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Allright fellas I finally found a source that has the facts on this.

For those that said tires, brakes, transmission, and or the rear end would be the limiting factor; you are all incorrect.

The limiting factors are the hitch, and the cooling system. By changing to a larger radiator and some bigger electric fans, along with an upgraded hitch, I could easily tow whatever I want up to 5,000 lbs. If I were to go long distances, or frequently, then maybe some bag suspension in the rear, but thats about it.

The brakes are the same as in the TBSS, and they are WAY overkill for the SSR so they aparently can easily support towing more than 2500 lbs. Tires are also fine.

BTW, this all came from several SSR owners who have done this stuff. One of which owns a hitching company who makes the upgraded hitch for them.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't forget to include suspension... to tow a car on a trailer I'm not sure what the tongue weight would be on that, probably in the neighborhood of 500-900 lbs depending on your trailer, I'm not sure the way an SSR is in "stock" form could handle that no matter what class hitch you have. It may be good if you are using a car "dolly", but a double axle car trailer I don't think the suspension can take it. I towed a car on a dolly with my dad's F250 superduty crew cab and you could tell a HUGE difference in the handling, braking, those trucks have twin piston calipers up front with giant brakes.

Quick Reply: Chevy SSR questions...