General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I think I'm being scammed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea you can't win either way sometimes. I was selling a car on ebay and made it very clear in the ad.
I said this car will only be sold to a person who comes here, test drives it, looks it over as much as they'd like, test drive it for as long as they like, feels 100% comfortable with it, pays cash, gets the clean title, and drives away with it.
People are so uptight these days I had like five people telling me THAT didn't sound right.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

# B3240 - LATCH - RIGHT - REPLACE 8001 miles
thats the last warrenty claim threw GM
RICHARD ROSE PONTIAC-OLDSMOBILE-GMC, LLC
506 E PANCAKE BLVD
LIBERAL , KS 67901-4213
2FV67 -2002 FIREBIRD TRANS AM CONVERTIBLE
41T - BLACK CONVERTIBLE TOP 54U - COLLECTOR YELLOW
Z15 - ******************************* * COLLECTORS EDITION * *******************************
Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Z284U2TRY
I would never trust ebay.
eBay is super secure. The only way you can get scammed on ebay is if you didn't read the part that says: "YOU ARE BIDDING ON THE BOX THAT CONTAINED THE XBOX... NOT THE REAL ONE"

They are required by law to send you the item as advertised otherwise you can file a lawsuit.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a scam. I bought my last two WS6s on E-bay. Both sellers were super cooperative......When I told them I wanted to fly to look at their car, both offered to pick me up at the airport right away. One was in Florida, one was in New Hampshire. Both were great experiences, and I made a couple of good friends. E-bay is a great place to buy. But this one sounds like a scam.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I looked at this car as well, this woman is insisting that we use ebay to complete the transaction. Its to good of a deal, I really dont believe it, plus I asked about the car and she tells me its a 6cyl and some things that were just not right. She also keeps telling me to give my name and address so she can ship it. Well I live 2 hours away, and I keep asking to come look at the car in person. I really think its a scam, its way too good to be true and she is dodging anything that involves meeting in person. I'll take my buddy and some guns if I go, maybe shoot some jackasses trying to rob people.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like a scam

wheres the link for the car?

Last edited by 1Loudz28; 01-24-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I told the lady I would come down and buy the car, but she had to have a clean title in hand just to see what she would say, I havent heard anything since... Im smelling bullshit!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

same thing happened to me a while back, with craigslist ad
the supposed vehicle was in dallas, but the guy was insistent on shipping it to me for free, and i wouldnt have to pay a dime, but i had to give him my bank info and and he would hold my info and not draw any funds until i inspected vehicle and accepted,
but would not give any info on carrier or
physical location of vehicle. it was supposed to be in dallas, so i offered to drive there the same day and pay cash in full and leave with car and title.
he then replied that it was in new jersey and it was registered in new jersey.
SCAM
Old 01-24-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

post this up in the florida section, and see if anyone would be kind enough to look at it and snap a few pics for ya..

offer them like 50bucks (if you do get the car)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

its usually the buyers that request ebay, not the sellers.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agreed. He/she might want the feedback as a good seller.

By the way, dealing with buyers is the worst part of selling. When I sold my last car, I had to deal with 10 tire-kickers. So, if they didn't just reply right back all peachy-keen about someone coming over, that could be why.

It's not that I'm any less skeptical than anyone else; it's just a lot of people in this thread citing the wrong reasons to be suspicious.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a scam. Craigslist has gotten bad about that.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Staging Lane

post the link
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bu01
post the link
I tried to do that yesterday when the thread started, but the ad has been taken down.

As to questions about the car, yes, it was yellow. It was a 'vert with the nuber 20 (I think) either painted on the side behind the door or applied as a decal. The ad made a point of saying that the graphics could be easily removed.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM

Was the ad taken down because it sold or removed by the the server?
I dunno, I was reading this thread and it sounded like a good deal at first, but the more I read, the fishier it sounded.
Maybe it's better that it's gone.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Methinks this may be a better forum for feedback as well as other members that may have come across this situation.

If not, the mods of this forum can beat me senseless.
that won't take long...
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

sometimes...I walked away from an 04 tundra about a year ago...had all the goodies trd, 4x4 and only like 20k miles...the lady wanted 8200 for it cuz thats what she owed on it...she said free shipping to anywhere including Kodiak...thats where I passed because to have my truck shipped up here from TX was gonna run close to 3k...thats why its in storage...

the only good deal I found was during a divorce settlement...the wife sold her soon to be ex husbands 01 porsche boxter to me for 500 bucks...she signed the title over to me and I went straight to the dmv...I made 17k off of it...so there are deals out there but like they said above me...99% of the time...walk away, and in a hurry!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just ask yourself this: would you sell a ten thousand mile trans am for $5700? i found an ss like this about a year ago (oddly enough it was also in orlando) i asked the "seller" to send me some more pix and they sent me the exact same ones. i then told them the specific pix i wanted and they were unable to send them. then i tried to get a phone number and they came up with some bullshit about how they had just had sugery on their ears and couldn't talk. by then i was 100 percent certain it was a scam, but continued to play along. i emailed the person again and told them that i was buying a plane ticket, coming with cash to pay for the car and wanted the title. they responded and said that the shipping had already been paid, the car was sealed in a shipping container and they wanted to just send it. i told them to go pound sand.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a similar ad on Craigslist while I was looking for a LS1. A '02 SS with less than 20k for a ridiculously low price. I emailed the guy, thinking it was a scam anyway, and got the typical "I'm out of the coutry, get in touch with my forwarder" email.

A few days later, I found the car on ebay, same pics, listed in a completely different state, with different seller info, for 20k "buy it now".

Looks like the CL poster just grabbed the pics off of ebay.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

The "I don't trust ebay" bit is ignorant. As a person who buys and sells online, I find it funny that people pay about 25% more on Amazon from independant sellers than on ebay. I just had a bunch of battery packs for Zunes. Sold a bunch on Amazon for $27 shipped. The ones on eBay went for about $22 shipped. It's the same person selling the damn things (me), I have 10 times the feedback on ebay than I do on Amazon, and the buyers get Paypal's buyer protection only on ebay, yet people still pay more on Amazon.

With ebay you need to provide credit card info to buy or sell, and if you're a buyer you can see a sellers history. You've got the Paypal protection as well. How is that safer then responding to an add in the paper going to a strange place with cash (reffering to the story about the 911s above)?