General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pros/Cons with ls1 6 speed Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myk
There are no cons...
That's not what the M6 guys who have lined up next to me at the track say

whosnxt pretty much hit the nail on the head. The only thing I will add is that a big stall goes a looooong way in adding "fun factor" to an auto.

I originally wanted a 6 speed but settled for an auto because I was too impatient to wait around for a good deal on a M6. Then I started modding and eventually got to a 3500 stall and MT street radials. One trip to the local track and I was HOOKED! I've beaten GT500's, 03 Cobras, C6 Corvettes and other fellow M6 LS1 fbodies. All I might add trapped higher then me. But when you get 1.6 60's to thier 2.0's it's hard to make up that ground lost.

If you get a M6 then put a good clutch in it and enjoy. If you get an A4 then put a good stall in it and enjoy. Either way you have an LS1 so you win
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cons???? What cons???
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While we can't run the amazing and consistent times of an auto, the feel that you are more directly involved with running a car down the track is 10x better than when I had an auto. It's at a point that I know the car can run better, it's me that needs to catch up to it. With my auto, there was nothing outside of more mods that could be done. Also driving in general is a completely different feel than an auto. Having driven both auto and m6, it's hard to believe that they are the same kind of car.

Cons of the m6:

clutch replacement, I did it myself to save a bit of cash but the time it's slipping REALLY is embarrassing, it got bad enough I couldn't pass some 200hp **** car.

Hydraulics, you either have bleeding down to an art or will be frustrated beyond belief. Knock on wood, I've been pretty much on top of it with nov-mar being the longest time period I don't mess with fluid.

Fear of 10 bolt. You should fear it with an auto too, but us m6 guys always have that lingering thought at the track... what if this is the launch that grenades it? 100+ runs later I'm still good...

Stop and go traffic, each slip of the clutch makes you wonder if the next time you hit the track it just won't hold as well...
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

cons- going slower, clutch and hydrolic replacement, hard to get it just right, driving in stop and go traffic gets old.

Pros- fun factor on the street.

If I had to do it over again I would have gone auto. I may even swap to the 4l80e if they come down in price, as replacing clutches and hydrolics gets old pretty quick.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy one of each....I have a 93 T/A M6 and a 00 WS6 A4.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Launching!

If it's mostly a street car but may see a little track go M6. If you're just going to track it A4. I bought an M6 T/A a couple months ago and love it, so much more fun than an auto. I did actually drive both too, and the auto just made it feel less like the beast it was (unstalled auto).

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons with ls1 6 speed Trans Am?