General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ws6 wrecked got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ws6 wrecked got a ?

so somebody hit my girls ws6 and smashed the front right side pretty good. the guy that hit her has insurance and theyre gonna take care of it.when they come look at it i will find out if they total it or not. so whether they do or not, are they gonna try to lowball me and do i have to pretty much take what they give me or what? thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can negotiate a little.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make sure the estimate has a clause to include supplementals.

it helps if the body shop can argue with the adjuster.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Depends on the insurance company. Most will treat you right.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Depends on the insurance company.
Exactly.

When my 95 TA was totalled two years an 4 days ago, Allstate gave me almost 4K more what I paid for it two months earlier. Then again, I got a pretty good deal on it.

The adjuster even complemented me on how good the car looked and well it had been kept up.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

its at the body shop that did the custom flames and knows our cars so he should speak up for me. the car was damn near perfect so hopefully they will take that into consideration. thanks. ill let u know what happens.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

what ins and what year is the car
Old 02-08-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally,.. since an insurance co. totaled my car maybe I can help.

1.) Look up what the Fair Market Value(NOT Kelly Blue Book) of the car is. The Ins Co.'s rule of thumb is if the cost to repair the car is 75% or more of the car's Fair Market Value, then they'll total it. They'll pay you out for the Fair Market Value if they total it. BUT if you decide that you want to hold on to it then your gonna need to pay the Inc Co. a fee (usually around 1,500 depending what they can get on the scrap for the hunk of metal) to keep it. Typically they'll deduct it from your "severance" before they mail you the check.
.....NOTE: Insurance Co's do not differentiate between Z28, SS, Formula, Trans Am, and WS.6... So when you look up you Fair Market Value just type in Camaro or Firebird (SUX,...I KNOW!), year and mileage. All that matters to them is weather its a V8, V6 and to a small degree weather its an auto or manual.

2.) If I where you,.. I'd find your own shop to do the work that deals with Ins Co.s on a regular and is sympathetic towards you the customer and not the Ins Co. Typically the Ins Co use shops that get a kick-back of some nature for leaning in their direction.
.....NOTE: ...If you plan on reselling it,.. A Salvage Tittle literally cuts the value in half. So ,.. my advice,.. only keep it if it has sentimental value OR if you plan on building the car up to be a street beast.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Exactly.

When my 95 TA was totaled two years an 4 days ago, Allstate gave me almost 4K more what I paid for it two months earlier. Then again, I got a pretty good deal on it.

The adjuster even complemented me on how good the car looked and well it had been kept up.
damn i thought i was special because all state gave me the exact same deal when a chick pulled out in front of my 95. ever since then ive always said if i ever do get in another accident i hope they have all state. and for the record i negotiated for the cash and got the car back for 500 less than what they wanted. as long as you werent at fault to a degree you have the upper hand because it's theyre job to make you happy.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

hmm ,... Now I'm curious about switch'n to Allstate.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 AM
Launching!

when my last DD got nailed head on by a kid in a 98 cobra (he was 18, i was 24 at the time) his insurance co, was the same as mine. since i know my adjuster personally she spoke up for me and i freaking robbed them lol. gave me 3k for a car worth maybe 1k. then gave me 20k for a wrist injury i received. and covered the difference between my disability pay and normal pay. took me about 8 months to get it all from them, and i did a lot of leg work(who cares i was off work!) but it was worth it in the end. fight them at every turn and always ask for more then they offer you.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

negitive, i used work at a body shop. one of the worst insurance companies to have is ALLSTATE. the will fight to aviod putting new parts on the car. they like the aftermarket scene. and unless you know what and how this works generally you the customer get screwed. state farm is one of the best b/c the will try and go mostly OE in most cases.

To the OP: when you talk to the insurance company specify OE parts if the disagree then honestly you should go salvage b/c of fitment issues with aftermarket/ reconditioned equipment. just my $.02

Last edited by kokingSS; 02-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kokingSS
negitive, i work at a body shop. one of the worst insurance companies to have is ALLSTATE. the will fight to aviod putting new parts on the car. they like the aftermarket scene. and unless you know what and how this works generally you the customer get screwed.
Could be. I was in the lucky (???) situation, however, where Allstate totalled my car and didn't even think about fixing it.

And since the kid (18 y.o.) who pulled in front of me wasn't included in his family's insurance but was still driving his mom's minivan, I had to use my own un/underinsured policy to cover everything.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

good point. no im not saying it at all that way. but if he is having it repaired he needs to make sure the ins. comp knows what he wants instead of letting it go unsaid. you are absolutley correct about the reapirs. go over the car with a fine tooth comb. make sure you look over every inch, ask to go for a test drive before you accept it.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy backs from Allstate they get an estimate of what they think it is worth at auction and that is what you pay. My car 02 SOM SS with bad driver side damage rest of car good was 3750 on the buy back. Allstate did give me a fair price on the car waived my 1000 deductiable and even included an extra 1000 for aftermarket parts but that was only after fighting with them and getting a lawyer into it. But I have heard this before ALLSTATE will only use aftermarket or used parts on the repair...
Old 02-08-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kokingSS

To the OP: when you talk to the insurance company specify OE parts if the disagree then honestly you should go salvage b/c of fitment issues with aftermarket/ reconditioned equipment. just my $.02
+1.... Makes sense to mention that.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mukyluk
when my last DD got nailed head on by a kid in a 98 cobra (he was 18, i was 24 at the time) his insurance co, was the same as mine. since i know my adjuster personally she spoke up for me and i freaking robbed them lol. gave me 3k for a car worth maybe 1k. then gave me 20k for a wrist injury i received. and covered the difference between my disability pay and normal pay. took me about 8 months to get it all from them, and i did a lot of leg work(who cares i was off work!) but it was worth it in the end. fight them at every turn and always ask for more then they offer you.
Now I know why my insurance rates are so high. Thanks for milking the insurance co. so bad. Congratulations, you just fucked the rest of us, feel good now!!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

well heres the update
first my fiance accepted a $1300 check for pain and suffering for minor whiplash and a banged up knee which i wasnt there and i know she should have gotten more.
i havent talked to the ins adj about the car and she wouldnt talk to my ol lady about the car only to tony(body man). he did the paint job and knows my cars pretty well. he says we're $1500 from totaling it. but theyre not gonna replace the hood which is cracked just patch it up. which he knows i aint goin for that. wasnt any patch work on the car before i dont want any now. tony said all i have to do is tell the ins that and they pretty much have to replace it. that would put us in the totaled out stage. which i prefer. it has slight frame damage and as good as tony is, most of u would agree that a car is never the same after a major wreck.
but thats because the ins lady says its only worth 12,000. i say 15,000 at least. 01 ws6 super clean, well maintained, 75k all around nice car. your thoughts requested on that. tony said they supposedly get their value by what car lots sell them for so i dont know
but that would put us out out of totaled range if it was worth 15,000.
then we should be entitled to some depreciation compensation or something due to the fact that the car is not worth what it was and that should put us back in totaled range.

so when i talk to the ins lady monday and tell her we want the car totaled for 15,000 am i out of line? im pretty frustrated after how she treated my fiance and her mom. but thats another story. i dont want to be greedy about all this but i dont want to get taken advantage of either.

thanks for the input.heres junky pic before the wreck
Attached Thumbnails ws6 wrecked got a ?-trans.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could try but I really don't see you getting 15,000 before you tell here show some evidence supporting your case thats it worth that much find some with the same or more mileage. check auto trader find private parties and dealers also you could get some dealers opinions on what they might sell it for. Worst case would be you can take the 12k then buy it back if its cheap enough and part it out.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

i see what youre sayin. there are several in the local auto trader and dealers price them super high imop. my brother in law is a sales manager at a dodge house and he just said he would put it on the lot at 16,900 even though he might give me 12,000. hell i would probably take 12,000 from the ins theyd let me get my mods and suspension parts and new perellis off of it. kbb saays 15,445 in excellent condition which honest the car is. even if u knock 3 grand off and add half the mods(i think thats the rule whenn selling) its still more than 12