General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How come vettes and F-Bodies sound different???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthony887
That's an amazing Q...duh, he even answered it himself. Anyway, I just wanted to say: that vette looks sick, y the hell would u want to get rid of it?
+1.. must be smoking good up there
Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for a bad *** vette in sig!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its the length of the piping and position of the mufflers that make the difference in sound. for example, my vette sounds like this:
Click here to watch Idle-clip-89
Click here to watch ZO6-dynos-002
It has 1 7/8 headers, 3" exhaust, x-pipe, 2 3/4 sweet thunders, straight pipes out the back

and this car has similar headers, exhaust, sweet t's, similar cam and setup, BUT it is lacking about10 feet or so of pipe that my vette has AFTER the mufflers
Click here to watch 402z28

from the different exhaust setups ive had/made, the length of the pipe before and after the muffler make the sound. my vette has the x,about 3 ft of pipe, muffler, 5 feet of pipe open out the back...approximately. giving it that screaming indy car sound up top RPMS. A shorter pipe before, and no pipe after the muffler gives it a lower tone, little more throaty, but more resonance inside. on a normal vette exhaust system where the muffler is at the very end of a long stretch of pipe, it sounds a little more "cackly" but still screams up top. this is a friend of mine's vette with corsa muff's at the back
Click here to watch 87GN-002

All these systems are with no cats, of course....they will make a big difference in sound by muffling it quite a bit. Hope this helps, enjoy
Old 02-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
+1.. must be smoking good up there
uuhhmmm well im still young and I hate it when we gotta go somewhere with my buddies and we cant because its a 2 seater and because its a favor im kinda doing my dad.See he wants this car and since we were young hes always wanted a vette but he could never afford one and since ive gotten mine and most of my siblings left he has the money for one.That and because he always wants to borrow it lol.Besides I could always buy another maybe a c6 this time...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lifted99GMC
I think its the length of the piping and position of the mufflers that make the difference in sound. for example, my vette sounds like this:
Click here to watch Idle-clip-89
Click here to watch ZO6-dynos-002
It has 1 7/8 headers, 3" exhaust, x-pipe, 2 3/4 sweet thunders, straight pipes out the back

and this car has similar headers, exhaust, sweet t's, similar cam and setup, BUT it is lacking about10 feet or so of pipe that my vette has AFTER the mufflers
Click here to watch 402z28

from the different exhaust setups ive had/made, the length of the pipe before and after the muffler make the sound. my vette has the x,about 3 ft of pipe, muffler, 5 feet of pipe open out the back...approximately. giving it that screaming indy car sound up top RPMS. A shorter pipe before, and no pipe after the muffler gives it a lower tone, little more throaty, but more resonance inside. on a normal vette exhaust system where the muffler is at the very end of a long stretch of pipe, it sounds a little more "cackly" but still screams up top. this is a friend of mine's vette with corsa muff's at the back
Click here to watch 87GN-002

All these systems are with no cats, of course....they will make a big difference in sound by muffling it quite a bit. Hope this helps, enjoy
Dang man that camaro sounds exactly the way I want mine to sound does he have true duals or not???and wat do you mean by sweet t's
Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Yes, it has true dual 3" exhaust, thru an x-pipe and dumped at the rear axle. What i meant by sweet t's are a muffler called sweet thunder. It is a cyllindrical muffler, resembles a bullet muffler. sounds great in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
That is not true for all years. The cam's were different for a couple of the early years. Mainly because the LS1 was a work in progress.
You are correct in that 1997-00 Vettes have a different cam than F-bodys (except in 1998 when they ran out of F-body specific cams from what I've heard). However, the difference is so slight that I can't see it being much of a factor. The exhaust difference is the key...