General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How come vettes and F-Bodies sound different???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How come vettes and F-Bodies sound different???

Well Ive always wondered why is that a vettes sounds different than a F-body.One thing that I always thought it was is the exhaust because they have the same engines(speaking of C5's)But the f-bodies exhaust connects together in a y pipe all the way to the back and the vettes its one pipe all the way to the back for each header could this be the reason???Well im wondering because Im thinking of letting go of the vette but I own an acura integra its a lil import pretty fun but nothing like my vette so im thinkin of an f-body.So I want my f-body to sound like my vette did thats the reason im askin...well any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm guessing cuz the f-bodies come with a y pipie and vettes have an h pipe

just get true duals
Old 02-08-2008, 05:11 PM

Vette's have true duals.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camshaft is different on fbodies and vettes too so that changes it up alittle as well, but the biggest difference ive seen is in the header/exhaust manifold design. The vettes are very different than then any fbody and of course the x/h pipe and the position of the Mufflers on the vette alter the sound tremendously. The mufflers on most vettes have a bunch of very weird twists and turns under the back bumper. C6's have a more straight through design but i still have my money on a combination of header design and h pipe as to why it sounds so awesome on vettes. I would love for my fbody to sound like a heads/cam vette with full exhaust (Kooks LT's, Kook x pipe with bullet mufflers, and either a Borla or B&B triflow catback) There is no other sound like it especially above 4000rpm
Old 02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fenix999
camshaft is different on fbodies and vettes too so that changes it up alittle as well, but the biggest difference ive seen is in the header/exhaust manifold design. The vettes are very different than then any fbody and of course the x/h pipe and the position of the Mufflers on the vette alter the sound tremendously. The mufflers on most vettes have a bunch of very weird twists and turns under the back bumper. C6's have a more straight through design but i still have my money on a combination of header design and h pipe as to why it sounds so awesome on vettes. I would love for my fbody to sound like a heads/cam vette with full exhaust (Kooks LT's, Kook x pipe with bullet mufflers, and either a Borla or B&B triflow catback) There is no other sound like it especially above 4000rpm
The same year Corvette and the same year Fbody will have the same cam (the engines are almost identical, but the vette never got EGR).
Old 02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm doing a heads, cam, LT's Offroad X and Z06 Ti's this early spring. i'll let you know why they sound better lol it's the true duals on the Vette's. With a good muffler they sound WICKED~Cole~
Old 02-08-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Vette's have true duals.
BINGO.!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

They're two different cars

and true duals help...
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ReFtheMC
They're two different cars

and true duals help...
But have same engines...see thats what im saying if they have the same engine they should sound the same....
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes same sound, but different exhaust.
To dumb this down, different exhaust systems do different things, and make different sounds even if they have the same engine no matter what.
Also to add to that the undercarriage of the cars are different which will resonate the sound differently. (different tubeing lengths, diameters, different everything in general)

Example: 2000 T/a stock in a garage will sound much differently than that same car in a drive way outside.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Do a search, i remember a couple of months ago someone asked the same Q.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was behind a C5 at a light the other day, he has exhaust on it, I had my cutout open, when we both took off from the light I thought they sounded almost exactly the same.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

True duals really change up the sound on the LSx cars. That's why I went with true duals.

I've had comments by random people joking that they thought a stang had pulled up... ughh...

Personally I love the sound of the C5 and C6 vettes, just in stock form they sound amazing. Shorter pipe length compared to the f-body distance, different material (titanium on the z06 I think) and true duals!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The same year Corvette and the same year Fbody will have the same cam (the engines are almost identical, but the vette never got EGR).
That is not true for all years. The cam's were different for a couple of the early years. Mainly because the LS1 was a work in progress.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Vette's have true duals.
+2 ....
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 AM

vettes and fbodies are very similar in that they have identical drivetrains...but they have always sounded different due to the numerous facts pointed out already. resonance was mentioned and does make a difference. firebirds/camaros are "F" bodies obviously and vettes are "Y" bodies...just different body/frame.

another thing is exhaust....stock exhaust they sound completely different just because the vettes have always had much better flowing exhaust hence helping the vette claim 25+ more hp in the lt1 and/or ls1.

the cams are different too...for example my 01 formula is actually factory with a truck cam. they recieved these cams to retain low end torque....i believe they're referred to as "LQ9"?

more important vettes and fbodies are tuned different. that is what i think makes all the difference. the computer module is programmed to run much better than the fbody...hence control of fuel and air mixture/ratio causing more/less efficient combustion in generally the same engine and also aiding in the 25+ plus hp in the vette.

vettes and fbodies have always been different just because the vette is the high end model for gm although there is evidence from other models showing otherwise. if anyone recalls back when firehawks first came about in 92-93 time period they actually outperformed the same year vettes. what made the difference here again is the tuning of the vehicles and...some false advertising so the vette could retain their title.

one of the factors mentioned in the cars will not make the difference in sound all by it self...this is where "all the small things add up" come into play. the vette just breathes much better than the fbody...stock that is. think of it this way...u have a choice between two of the hottest chicks ever...one has asthma or something to hinder breathing and the other is healthy as hell...which one will sound better when theyre moaning? lmfao
Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ArcticFormula
another thing is exhaust....stock exhaust they sound completely different just because the vettes have always had much better flowing exhaust hence helping the vette claim 25+ more hp in the lt1 and/or ls1.

more important vettes and fbodies are tuned different. that is what i think makes all the difference. the computer module is programmed to run much better than the fbody...hence control of fuel and air mixture/ratio causing more/less efficient combustion in generally the same engine and also aiding in the 25+ plus hp in the vette.
The only difference in power is the rating, they are both making the same 345hp, GM just rated the vette higher.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=10
Old 02-11-2008, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

If thats your vette in the sig ,keep it thats badass
Old 02-11-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

completely different exhaust paths.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Default lol

That's an amazing Q...duh, he even answered it himself. Anyway, I just wanted to say: that vette looks sick, y the hell would u want to get rid of it?