General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did someone try to break in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cigg lighter switch is the way to go. cigg lighter in place=car runs cigg lighter missing=no run. buddy of mine has this done in his 02 ss.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^thats a good idea too, i might do that and the kill switch under the dash....then no one will take it! where do you get the cig lighter switch?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brief Encounter
He explained it to me like this....... Because the glass is tempered, once you put some pressure on the glass, it becomes less able to disperse shock, thus shattering.

So, I would look for any scratch marks on the window, and go from there.
I doubt this is the case, at some point you have to knock the glass out so why bother shattering it quietly then making a hell of a lot of noise when you reach in and all the glass falls out of the way?
And why not just take a piece of spark plug ceramic?
Try that at the junkyard--take a rock about 1/2 inch in diameter and throw it at a window, then take a piece of spark plug 1/8 the size and throw it with the same force, it shatters the whole window and it stays in place.

Either way I think this post may give a lot of people a false sense of security.
All the threads I've read about where someones car was stolen, there was no evidence of a break in, and there are other clues that lead me to believe they are just being towed away.
I can't open my door with the key or a slim jim without the horn going off, after you pass that, then how do you start it with vats?
Sure it can be done but it takes time.

Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZ5ghFSYFs
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnu3Q...eature=related
Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
I doubt this is the case, at some point you have to knock the glass out so why bother shattering it quietly then making a hell of a lot of noise when you reach in and all the glass falls out of the way?
And why not just take a piece of spark plug ceramic?
Try that at the junkyard--take a rock about 1/2 inch in diameter and throw it at a window, then take a piece of spark plug 1/8 the size and throw it with the same force, it shatters the whole window and it stays in place.

Either way I think this post may give a lot of people a false sense of security.
All the threads I've read about where someones car was stolen, there was no evidence of a break in, and there are other clues that lead me to believe they are just being towed away.
I can't open my door with the key or a slim jim without the horn going off, after you pass that, then how do you start it with vats?
Sure it can be done but it takes time.

Take a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZ5ghFSYFs
and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnu3Q...eature=related

ive looked into alot of the thefts even though i havent experienced one yet and these repo truck are easily capable of picking up a vehicle quiet enough for you not to hear it and be gone within 3 minutes and leave you asking wtf happened. I have a next door neighbor had his blazer repoed literally took them about a minute and a half backed lifted it pulled it about half mile down the road got out of the truck made sure everything was secure and it was gone
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by getusumws6
cigg lighter switch is the way to go. cigg lighter in place=car runs cigg lighter missing=no run. buddy of mine has this done in his 02 ss.
i need more info on that, is there a kit you can buy or do you have to fab up something to make it work?
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foreverzero
^thats a good idea too, i might do that and the kill switch under the dash....then no one will take it! where do you get the cig lighter switch?
you actually rewire your cig lighter as the switch, nothing but a little wire ( push in=close circuit...... pull out=open circuit) the same way the lighter works anyway
Old 02-14-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I highly doubt that someone was trying to break into your car. If they were, don't you think they'd be armed with something better than a KEY.

Even if the key would help pull the window back, what would they use to break the steering column??
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

my question. why wouldn't the jackass set the key on top of the car instead of wedging it under the glass. **** i would be pissed. as a matter of fact you dont have no right to even touch anyones car when they aint around....as for the tow truck thing. cant you just turn your front wheels all the way? that would prevent them from lifting the back and pulling it wouldn't it? i mean they cant lift the front and drag the back.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you get a security device get a brake lock instead of a club, the one i have is supposively bulletproof and theres no way of driving off with it unless they have a tow truck.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

nothing stops the flatbed unfortunetely, unless you got the damn thing chained to the ground
Old 02-16-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by its turbo time
nothing stops the flatbed unfortunetely, unless you got the damn thing chained to the ground
Hard to roll it on a flatbed if the brakes are all set.. hmm.

Good thing I suppose is a much smaller percentage of car thieves have a flatbed compared to other, more easily foiled methods of theft. But still....
Old 02-16-2008, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

yeah it would be harder but the winches on those things are pretty strong, and would easily be able to pull an f-body onto a flatbed.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would at least make a racket doing it, attracting more attention, and no doubt slow them down a little bit.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will slow them down maybe 10 more sec. but if the guy knows what hes doing it will make almost no sound you will only hear the winch. Really a chain is the only way but remember the winches will pull with 30k pounds of force. things will bent fast with that much force.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned 11 4th gen F-Bodies. I locked my keys in my car at least 3 times. Around the window and weatherstripping is the way I got in. I can get into a 4th gen in about a minute
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

*UPDATE*

My neighbor put it there he found it on the ground near my car and thought it was mine.... I was upset for no reason.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by its turbo time
yeah it would be harder but the winches on those things are pretty strong, and would easily be able to pull an f-body onto a flatbed.
I've seen it done to an SUV at a flea market because it was parked in a no parking zone. The flatbed driver put these homemade looking wedges under the drive wheels and pulled it right up in less than 5 minutes.

I think it's a good idea to figure out how to steal an f-body so we can prevent it.
I know these threads always attract people that want it locked, saying we shouldn't give the secrets away in case the thiefs are watching, I think they are watching and laughing at us because we're clueless.

I just moved and I'm a bit worried about not being able to put my car up by the house any more.
I already had to break into it myself and it's not that hard at all.

Still, I always post this link because I have a truck like this (without the lift) and I think this is what people stealing cars with vats are using. http://www.sneekerlift.com/htm/pickup.htm
Old 02-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
I have owned 11 4th gen F-Bodies. I locked my keys in my car at least 3 times. Around the window and weatherstripping is the way I got in. I can get into a 4th gen in about a minute
What do you do when the horn starts beeping? You have to put the key in the ignition, but what would a car thief do?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

disconnect the horn under the passenger fender before starting.....
Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by primer84z
disconnect the horn under the passenger fender before starting.....
My grandfather used to tell a story about his CB radios getting stolen, they would reach under the dash and yank forward, cut the wires and be gone.
He said he got an idea to hang a bunch of fishing hooks behind the CB, said he never had one stolen again but did come out to a bloody truck once.

If you can disconnect the horn, hang some fish hooks near it