General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did someone try to break in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did someone try to break in my car?

*UPDATE*

My neighbor put it there. he found a key near my car and thought it was mine.

This morning i found a key jammed down between the window and the weather stripping on the door. Like the top of the key was sticking out from the door and the rest was inside. Is this a way to break in or what? Should I be worried or maybe someone found a key next to it and thought it was mine? Thanks.

Last edited by primer84z; 02-16-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

I'm no thief but I've never heard of that way of breaking into a car. I guess I can't imagine how that would get someone into your car. I mean a key?
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is fairly easy to break into an F-body. Based on what you described, it sounds like they were trying to pull the glass away from the weather stripping, this way they could pull it out.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

I would like to add to this but I believe that for the security of all our cars this thread should be removed.

Not much needed if you really wanted to do it and can be done in under 20 seconds.

Suggestion: Like in my work van, both of my unlock buttons are disconnected from the switch just in case someone decided to go through my cab they still couldn't get to my tools located in the back.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either way, take the cautious route. Either keep it in the garage over night, if available, or invest in a club or other anti-theft device. Ask around for opinions on the best one.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are truly worried, don't leave anything in your car. Also, make sure your VATS is connected because this will slow your average thief if they are trying to steal it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe someone found a key on the ground and thought it might be yours? That might have been their way of getting you to notice it. Not everyone has the same high regard for our cars as we do.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

Look real close on the glass. I was washing my truck one day and seen a bunch of metal transfer on the window like someone was trying to get in.

As for the key, I know some old people might do that if your car was parked in a somewhat public place and they found a key on the ground near it.

I ran into a kid at a mall once who locked his keys in his truck, he came up to me because I had the same type truck and asked if I knew how to get in.
I seen a lock smith take out a box of keys once and try each one to get into a locked car so I put my key in this guys door lock and within 2 minutes it turned and opened it.

There are simple tools at your local autoparts store that can get you into an f-body, they are made for this. I had to use one on mine recently but I don't know how a thief would disable the horn.
Yesterday I put a kill switch in my car, a 70 cent made in USA light switch from ACE hardware. No one will find where I put it.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats VATS?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kokingSS
whats VATS?
vehicle anti theft system.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

so your alarm? orwhat because i dont know if i have anything but my alarm.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

VATS keeps the car from running without the right key in the ignition. Wrong key = security light on/flashing (forget which) and car doesn't run.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

ooo thats f-ing awsome how do you turn it on or does it automatically?
Old 02-14-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

im gonna say it was the good samaritan act and someone was trying to be nice otherwise I doubt they would leave their tool behind even though it was only a key
Old 02-14-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for all the replies. I now feel it was probably just somebody trying to be nice. If they were trying to pull the window away they would have put it in the top and slid a coat hanger in to hit the unlock. That would have worked in like 5 seconds. The car has stock everything in the interior too so I dont see much reason for breaking in to it. Well now that i said that the car will get stolen tonight.... lol. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by primer84z
If they were trying to pull the window away they would have put it in the top and slid a coat hanger in to hit the unlock. That would have worked.
No, it wouldn't have. I had a stiff wire and tore the **** out of my weatherstipping to try that and it would not work. The keys were on the floor.

I ended up getting a tool made for getting into cars available at most auto parts stores and got it open.

Later I sat in the car and pushed the button and found it will not open the door. When I get out all I do is push the door lock button and it flashes the lights once, or hit the remote it beeps the horn and flashes the lights, but if it's set like that the button will not unlock it.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The door unlock button disables itself if the alarm is on. That's to prevent the whole push window aside then press button trick.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh

There are simple tools at your local autoparts store that can get you into an f-body, they are made for this. I had to use one on mine recently but I don't know how a thief would disable the horn.
Yesterday I put a kill switch in my car, a 70 cent made in USA light switch from ACE hardware. No one will find where I put it.

I would be interested on how to do this... Ihad something like this in my third gen, where it had a key with a chip in it under the dash, and the car wouldnt turn over with out it. Is there a write up on the kill switch? Im not very good with wiring to figure it out
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foreverzero
I would be interested on how to do this... Ihad something like this in my third gen, where it had a key with a chip in it under the dash, and the car wouldnt turn over with out it. Is there a write up on the kill switch? Im not very good with wiring to figure it out
Just find an inconspicious place to put the switch.
Then find the neutral safety switch wires, one is green one is purple.
if you have an A4 car look under the console, if it's an M6 look at the switch the pedal touches when it's depressed.

With either trans these wires end up under the dash. Just cut one wire and put one end on one terminal of the switch, and the other end to the other terminal.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Some-one might have tried to get in. A while ago I was with a buddy at the auto salvage yard and he showed me this trick......... He used a screwdriver in between the glass and the weatherstripping of a car door, he pulled up on the screwdriver applying pressure to the window, then he gave it a good quick wrist flick with the handle of andother screwdriver driectly in the middle of the window with his other hand. The window immeaditely shattered and the only noise you could hear was that of the glass spidering.

He explained it to me like this....... Because the glass is tempered, once you put some pressure on the glass, it becomes less able to disperse shock, thus shattering.

So, I would look for any scratch marks on the window, and go from there.