General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I need some advice on next mods!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice on next mods!!!!

Mods are in my signature, and I really want to hear what other people think about this decision. Keep in mind all aftermarket parts are brand new and motor is brand new as of 6 months, but not my rear or chassis etc. I am going back into vengeance to get my subframe connectors welded in and I figured I might as well get something else done too, my car is just waiting for some power now that she can breathe. I either want to get a nice rear end like the strange 12-bolt with 4:10 gears(m6), or do a cam package. My car will be seeing the track maybe five times a year at the very very most. I just don't want to do a cam and then blow up my rear because I have heard these stock rears are weak and my car has about 130,xxx on the body and some other things. The prices of either do not matter, I can afford to do either, but not both lol since I just spent a **** load on preety much all my mods last thursday. Just want to hear what some have to say.....
Old 02-19-2008, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

i would go for the rear first. i have always been told to build from the rear forward.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

it depends the rear would the smarter way to go, you can always try to sell your old rearend and maybe make enough off that for a cam? The cam will be more fun tho, more power! if you are careful and dont launch hard i dont see your rear getting destroyed but thats my opinion...
Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I was thinking go with the rear end first, because of the power I will be getting from the cam. I mean I am going to do the cam shortly after like maybe within a 2 month period or same with the rear end I would do it within the 2 month if not sooner if I go with the cam. I wont be seeing the track too soon either so by the time I see the track I should have both done. Any other suggestions on if my stock rear would be trouble by adding a cam right now with the mileage on it? I am just trying to make sure because i havent heard good stuff about these stock read ends holding up well, even though I am only expecting to make around 400rwhp.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

It looks like you have quite a few power adding mods. It would probably be a wise idea to get a rear end that can handle it, especially with the reputation the factory one has for grenading with an M6.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

personally i would have spent the $1500 from the FAST intake that probably gained you 15hp...on a cam and budget heads setup that would have gained you 50-75hp.

but i guess you're ready for that cam when ever you get around to it.

i say do a mild cam.

get a rear end cover and the stud kit to go with it, and keep the car on street tires. the rear should hold for a while.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

agreed,,probably lost some low end torque by installing the 90mm stuff...
Old 02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

The reason I paid for the F.A.S.T is because I was not on a budget, that and the stainless kooks I know are expensive but those are the parts I chose to put on my car for quality because i had the money. Also I am not wanting to do heads right now because later I will do those witha bigger cam when this is not my DD. Or maybe just later on I will add heads but right now I am worried about either doing the rear end or the cam, and I am just looking for which one people think would be smarter to go with because I know the stock ones are known to be weak and my rear has alot of miles on it no telling who has beat it up. I really want to do the cam but I want my car to be able to handle it. keep in mind the car wouldnt see the track until I got the rear done in a month or two if i got the cam.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the rear end and then some slicks so when you do the cam you can hit into the 11's or high 12's. it will be worth it in the end
Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

If you're going to get the other in a month anyways just go ahead and get the rear and spend the next month studing on what cam to get.