General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
Cars don't generally suck in the snow, drivers and tires do. That's not to say you should drive it if you worry about it, I find that the scariest thing about bad weather driving. . .is other drivers
Truest statment in the entire thread.

And if your timid about getting behind the wheel of the Trans Am in the snow, you really shouldn't. Timid & inexperienced drivers scare me the most. If I pass someone holding their steering wheel for dear life while they are barely creepin in the snow, I try to get as far away from them as possible. Or if you can just tell from their driving they aren't confident enough to even be on the roads, thats scary too.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll admit to this. F-Bodies are not as good as a FWD vehicle in the snow. Before front wheel drive was invented, people had to drive in snow and a lot of them survived.

I'd still listen to Mom, now go eat your vegetables.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have her call me, and i will tell her all about my wonderful experience on the side of the road for 6 hours in damn shorts and a t shirt all in a freaking blizard all because my ss could not drive in a straight line at 2 mph with slush on the road. I hate every ******* in colorado who drive by in their f*cking four wheel drive trucks (literally 1500 of them) who wouldn't stop to help, including the **** sucking colorado highway patrol man who yelled at us for trying to get back on the road, and I hope that they all have children who die! (and the patrolman can watch his kid die) anyway, yea, these cars are terrible in snow.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't drive it in the snow.

I know you "WANT" us to tell yo otherwise, but we aren't bribed easily
Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Drove mine for five years daily. Even in our lovely Indiana Winters, I never missed a day of work or got stuck on my 38 mile commute to work. Never used any weight in the back, and ran the factory Good Years. I actually feel it was easier driving my 'bird to work in the Winter than it was the front wheel drive car I owned, or any that I drove during the snowy months. If you use your head, you'll be just fine.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Good" in the snow... NO. It will go through the snow fine if your cautious and careful. But if you have other options I'd take that route.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's all about driver skill and snow tires.

If you don't have them with your f-body, you are screwed in the snow.

I've driven a Camaro since I've gotten my license. RWD was far more prevalent prior to the 90's. The world got along just fine with them with the poor suspension/rust buckets/crappy excuses for tires, so why should the superior technology of today mean that it's impossible. If you still have a manual for your car, you will see GM tips of driving in the snow. They knew there cars could handle it (with proper tires). I'm not advocating that everyone should take their prized cars and drive in snow, but be realistic. It's a car. It'll work.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

big, wide, wore out tires suck yes. but like stated befor, if you have tread on your s*!& you will be fine if you can drive. and are way fun to play with if you dont have traffic.lol if you have trouble then put some studed snow tires on for winter and put a bag or two of quick create in the hatch and give her hell. i worked on top of a rather large,steep hill on a two lane county road for three years. when it snowed hard i was the only one to show up at work. i was driving an 84Z28 with cam,headers and intake, the other two guys in the shop drove tucks.....so man up and buy the car cause you want to or learn to drive.lol
Old 02-21-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

took me 45 minutes to an hour to get my 3.8 out of a hole of snow. sgs dont do **** and fbods are not friends with inclement weather
Old 02-21-2008, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Just Softly Drive It Into A Snow Bank And Say "see I Told Ya Mom"

Then She Will Let You Get That 4x4 Or Second Car.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

It's funny how many people read the OP's first post wrong. Most mom's would be saying not to drive the car in the snow. Like I said, I can't comprehend where she's coming from. The steriotype is that these cars are terrible in the snow. Does she want you to die?

Son: "Mom, I think I better get a safer car to drive."

Mom: "Why don't you man up and drive your T/A, *****."
Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a high horsepower rear wheel drive car is horrible for snow. If you want your car to be safe in snow you need a nice heads/cam set up. Thats what most f body drivers do in the snow. I really hope we can help wake your mom up and maybe she can help out with the heads/cam set up if she cares at all about her kid.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i convinced my mom by telling her that the money i save on insurance during the winter months by driving my grand prix will eventually pay for the car itself, therefore it wont cost you much more, maybe even save you a couple dollars, and be much safer/ better for your ride.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Don't drive it in the snow.

I know you "WANT" us to tell yo otherwise, but we aren't bribed easily
Half the people responding obviously didn't read the first post lol
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take her out in is and show her how they suck
Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

I like drivin my ta daily driver, its getting out of the parking space that a bitch
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

fbody in the snow they're a horror show in the rain
Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wide tires, a lot of power, little weight over those wide tires, RWD, Sucks... I had a 88 S-10 2wd (4cyl) and it sucked in the snow and rain. Sure you can do it but why when theres cars much easier to drive in that stuff.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Mines much worse in the rain than the snow. Don't mind the snow. Hate the rain.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

I was at my girlfriend's house a few weeks ago.. it's snowing out and we decided to rent some movies. For ***** and giggles i decide that we should take my car. After about 20 minutes I made a lap around her neighborhood (less than a mile). Lots of spinning, lots of reversing, lots of maneuvering, etc. I couldnt even make it back to her driveway.. had to park at the bottom cause I couldn't get my car to climb up a 10 degree slope. We hopped in her mom's 07 Camry and we were cruising with ease. Night and day.. RWD muscle is dog **** in the snow.

Quick Reply: My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up