General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys just need the FWD mod.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, if still live with your mother, then you don't need a "weekend"/good-weather car. If you are on your own, then cool, but if not then you need to be self sufficient before you do that. That being said, you should either learn to drive the car in the snow or trade it for something that you feel comforatable driving all year round. Just my .02
Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by newton
You guys just need the FWD mod.

Houston/lubbock???? I take it ya go to Tech??? Guns up BABY! Graduated from their in 06!
Old 02-21-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it gets sideways when its on dry pavement then what will it do in snow? Get another car...
Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by landonew
Houston/lubbock???? I take it ya go to Tech??? Guns up BABY! Graduated from their in 06!
Yessir.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

tell her you want a hummer H1 than....Im sure the camaro will look much better after she sees that price tag
Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

This makes me wanna cry, I live in Canada and my T/A is my second car from the states. First was an AWD Eclipse GSX turbo'd and modded to the nines and only drove it for a couple winter's until I got my body kit on. Sold the rice last year and got my 01 T/A from Florida, pretty much original owner, second only had it for a month or so. I got it shipped here last summer and parked it in October, long before snow and will never see a flake. I wanna cry looking at that attatched thread at the beginning. These are beautiful sports cars that I wanna cringe when I see them out in the winter. The first thing I look for is if its a V6, than I understand its either a woman or a *!*# guy. If its a V8 I absolutely feel like crying, than I see a mustang come flying by and absolutely laugh my *** off. Its a stang.............. who cares, LOL
Old 02-21-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are 2 things wrong..

1. Your arguing with a women

2. Your arguing with a women who is your mom.

You will never win
Old 02-21-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pro52R
There are 2 things wrong..

1. Your arguing with a women

2. Your arguing with a women who is your mom.

You will never win
so true. whats up with that? why are women always "right"? why must they ALWAYS "win"?? I just don't get it. it's mind blowing.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

just get some cheap steel rims and snow tires like on the alaska guys's car. you should be fine with an a4. i drove mine 20 miles in the snow, salt, and ice. it was a about an inch. i woke up from a party on campus to the snow and had to get home. that was on summer performance tires too. so just spend a couple hundred bucks on snow tires and some steel rims and u should be fine with the a4. a guy had some for sale not too long ago in the midwestern section. load that bitch down with some weight to if u want.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
thanks, but i believe we use sand here in iowa. so it's safe in that department. right? or can sand f*ck sh*t up too?
Sand is an abrasive. It will screw up your paint.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrob56
just get some cheap steel rims and snow tires like on the alaska guys's car. you should be fine with an a4. i drove mine 20 miles in the snow, salt, and ice. it was a about an inch. i woke up from a party on campus to the snow and had to get home. that was on summer performance tires too. so just spend a couple hundred bucks on snow tires and some steel rims and u should be fine with the a4. a guy had some for sale not too long ago in the midwestern section. load that bitch down with some weight to if u want.
Keep Samson go IU!!!!!
Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

DO NOT drive your car in the snow...not everybody can drive in black ice/ snow...you wont want to get your fav ride manglaed becaus some other aHole cant drive ...go buy a beater and then you can MOD durring the winter....
Old 02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just tell her to stfu and make you some cookies and let the men worry about the cars
Old 02-22-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

f-bodies don't suck in the snow...their drivers do
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
f-bodies don't suck in the snow...their drivers do
LMAO! GO back under your rock.

posi-traction, 300hp and snow do not mix. It can be done but isnt an ideal situation at all. Put snow tires on anything and it will drive in the snow. Doesnt mean it's good.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:41 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Posi is ideal in the snow, what do you prefer, an open diff? Unless it's a race car, HP is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
LMAO! GO back under your rock.

posi-traction, 300hp and snow do not mix. It can be done but isnt an ideal situation at all. Put snow tires on anything and it will drive in the snow. Doesnt mean it's good.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Sorry man.. I'm gonna hafta say that my car sucks in the snow. It does okay if its light snow, but if its anything else I need to be pushed out of the driveway and I'm lucky if I make it to where I'm going without spinning out or having to be picked up on the way.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Just cause "YOU" couldn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. I have drove my car in weather so bad there were 4x4 cars in the ditches, but b/c I am a above average driver(and yes thats been told to me by others who have rode with me in various weather conditions) I never had a issue.

But then again I'm also the guy who looks forward to it sometimes just so I can go out & play in it. All you need is a decent snow tire & experience driving in the snow. I never add weight to my rear end & I never get stuck. Matter of fact its sleeting today here & I drove in to work this morning without a problem.

Did you see the last sentance? I couldnt do it because I had goodyear eagle gsd3's on. I said "he might" be able to do it with some good snow tires. Its still a pain in the *** either way. I would never drive my car in the snow. I put to much money into nice parts to have them look like crap. That winter I drove it because i had no choice but if there was snow I borrowed a car. I was lucky for that. When I cleaned the ta there was salt all over every thing. When I cleand the air filter there was pieces of salt stuck in the air filter! I knew a guy that worked at discount tire and he said his LT1 Camaro was decent once he put the snow tires on it. It was a stock car as well. But with any performcance tire I think its just stupid to try. I am a "decent" driver as well. I have a Class A liscense to drive Tractor trailors and lived in IL my whole life. Driving trailors in the snow was easier then when my car got caught in a storm. To each his own though. If your gonna do it you should buy some snow tires and extra rims. Just dont try on a performance tire.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't take the time to read most of this stuff, but 4th gen cars are rediculous unstable in the snow, there just not well balanced.

This is coming from someone that prefers rwd in the upstate ny snow(with snows). I've had bimmers previously which were great.

Quick Reply: My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up