General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u want cheezebuger?

Last edited by GEARHED; 02-22-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

i can hazcheezbuger?

Last edited by GEARHED; 02-22-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, you can haz cheezbuger!

Last edited by GEARHED; 02-22-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2000 is fine on the snow, I try not to drive in it, but it does fine. A heck of a lot better than my 3rd gens did.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

We are going to stay on topic about Fbody's and driving in the snow.

PM is a function everyone can use here.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

F-Body's are fine in the snow. Put Blizzaks on it and throw 200 lbs in the back, not in the trunk, but over the gas tank.

Hows that?

However it is much better to have a FWD or AWD alternative.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Firehawk T/A is crap in the snow. Maybe it's the Firestone Firehawk tires. All I know is my car is a sit and spin when there's snow. But then again, maybe it's that Jersey snow I get. Thats why I have my 4WD truck.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you do a few mods, you can manage with one in the snow if you are EXTREMELY careful, and are an experienced driver.

However, if there's any possible way you can avoid driving it in the snow, I say do so.

I had mine out in a bad snow storm last month. I didn't know it was going to snow, so I left my Jeep at home and took the Bird to work, 30 miles away. By the time I get out of work, there's at least 5" on the ground. By driving extremely careful and very slowly, I made it halfway home. Once I got off the highway though, I got stuck. There are two main roads into my town, both have a long uphill that can't be avoided. I took the smaller one, and just couldn't get to the top. I ended up turning around and going back down the hill, and leaving the car overnite in the CVS parking lot at the bottom of the hill. I had to call my roommate to get my Jeep and come pick me up.

Since then, if there's even a CHANCE of snow, the Bird stays home and the Jeep goes to work. Like today actually. We had some pretty nasty eather, I saw 6 cars spun off the highway in about a 2 mile stretch.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

If there's even a slight chance of snow the Hawk is a no go.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you need a better car to get around in the snow, than you shouldn't drive around in the snow at all. The driver is what makes the difference and relying on a car to make up for your lack of skills is what makes the road a scary place for those of us who know how to drive.

Many people in this thread and in every town across the country drive the hellz out of fbody cars in the snow. 6 inches is not a big deal if you have good tires(they don't even have to be "snow" tires). To blame it on the unbalanced nature of the car or the lack of weight in the rear etc is simply to make excuses for not knowing what you are doing in different situations. Anyone who says "I went out in an inch of snow and spun arond the other way and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road, FBODY CARS SUCK IN THE SNOW" need to stop saying the car sucks in the snow just because they can't drive it.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:48 PM
LMV
Teching In

nobody drives a trans am in winter up in canada- those who do end up with rusted out, dinged out winter beater car

i purchase mine a couple weeks ago and waited probably a week or so til the roads were completely clear of ice and snow until i drove it home.
the next day we got 3" of snow. I wanted to wash it before putting it in storage but i couldn't get out of the driveway

anyway, winter is a terrible time to learn to drive a powerful rwd car

WAIT TIL SPRING!

just my 0.02cent- canadian cents at that
Old 02-22-2008, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
If you need a better car to get around in the snow, than you shouldn't drive around in the snow at all. The driver is what makes the difference and relying on a car to make up for your lack of skills is what makes the road a scary place for those of us who know how to drive.

Many people in this thread and in every town across the country drive the hellz out of fbody cars in the snow. 6 inches is not a big deal if you have good tires(they don't even have to be "snow" tires). To blame it on the unbalanced nature of the car or the lack of weight in the rear etc is simply to make excuses for not knowing what you are doing in different situations. Anyone who says "I went out in an inch of snow and spun arond the other way and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road, FBODY CARS SUCK IN THE SNOW" need to stop saying the car sucks in the snow just because they can't drive it.
Bite me you stupid idoit. Ive driven more T/A's in the snow than you will ever own. Don"t try to make it like you're the best driver in the snow with an F-body cause I will take you're *** to school....Punk.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a 300 dollar beater...drive that in the snow...you live in th the midwest so i doubt you have too much snow so im sure you could get away with buying the new TA and a cheap beater just to use when it snows
Old 02-22-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zuuhlsT/A
Bite me you stupid idoit. Ive driven more T/A's in the snow than you will ever own. Don"t try to make it like you're the best driver in the snow with an F-body cause I will take you're *** to school....Punk.
Ouch, I didn't say I drive it in the snow anymore, nor that you suck, not that it isn't ok to have a beater. I simply stood up for the fbody and it's ability to make it around safely, and I cut down those who blame the car for their 360 degree spins into traffic going the other way.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Launching!

I've driven on heavy snow and ice, although its not fun, it can handle it forsure. And I have 315s out back!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

Wouldn't drive ANY F-BODY in snow...NOT A GOOD CAR FOR SNOW..PERIOD....MOM IS RIGHT.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There fine as long as you know your limits. momentum and safe distance is key! I ride around on summer tires during the winter since I'm usually broke Tires I'm running now came with this warning.

NOTE: These are ultra high performance summer specific compound and tread tires. Use during the summer and warm temperature months will result in superior traction over “all season” tires. Use during the winter months/cold temperatures significantly reduces traction and increases stopping distance as the compound becomes less sticky.
Here is a picture from tonight
Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

its simple man, take your mom out and tell her to drive your car around in the next snow storm. Thats all it will take, they suck ***** in the snow.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zuuhlsT/A
Bite me you stupid idoit.
That made me laugh
Old 02-22-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

we had 8" of fresh, untouched snow in our parking lot a few weeks ago. I have snow tires on the back only. While a tow truck driver was laughing at me when i was walking to my car....i pulled out no problem. The look on his face was priceless.

but really, our cars (with snow tires) are really good in the snow.

Quick Reply: My mother doesn't believe that trans ams/f-bodies aren't good in the snow. back me up