General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Premature Head Gasket Failure, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premature Head Gasket Failure, or something else?

My engine has less than 50K miles on it. Are there any known instances of early head gasket failures? Are there any easy checks which can be done without pulling the heads?

Symptoms: Some white smoke just started coming out of my exhaust. It isn't "billowing" out of the back, but it's clearly visible. I checked my oil and it was completely clear of coolant. My coolant overflow resevour level appears normal (no visible oil has mixed with the coolant). I think the coolant has been bypassed around my throttle body, so I don't think any coolant is entering the intake at that point. What's the odds I have a failure of a head gasket on an engine with less than 50,000 miles?

If it is a head gasket failure, should I do any upgrades to the engine while I'm at it? The heads are easily accessable without dropping the engine, so it won't need to be pulled to do the head gaskets. That eliminates a cam upgrade.

TIA!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When did it start doing that? As you were driving or at startup or what? If the temperature dropped quickly you may see your exhaust more all of a sudden.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good to know you can come on this site and get help for when you blow things prematurely and nobody's going to make fun of you. Happens to the best of them every once and a while.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:51 PM

Strange think is I have no idea. I noticed it on startup, but haven't been driving with a heavy foot lately. I also haven't done any burnouts, since I don't think the diff will handle the torque. I guess you can say I "baby" this car, considering the performance. I thought I may have smelled coolant the last time I drove it, but didn't notice any smoke. I'll try to take it by a garage to see if they can diagnose it after work tomorrow.

I also didn't seen any noticible drop in engine temperature. Puzzled... If it's a coolant leak, it's a small one.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Startup it is normal (especially in colder weather, just condensation and such).
Old 02-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdgemanVA
Strange think is I have no idea. I noticed it on startup, but haven't been driving with a heavy foot lately. I also haven't done any burnouts, since I don't think the diff will handle the torque. I guess you can say I "baby" this car, considering the performance. I thought I may have smelled coolant the last time I drove it, but didn't notice any smoke. I'll try to take it by a garage to see if they can diagnose it after work tomorrow.

I also didn't seen any noticible drop in engine temperature. Puzzled... If it's a coolant leak, it's a small one.
All you need is a coolant system pressure tester. I had my system pressure tested when I had the coolant system flushed at the dealer for routine maintainence.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the coolant and oil will eventually mix if that's the case. Also, when you have coolant getting into the combustion chamber the exhaust will smell a sickly sweet smell. It's unmistakable when coolant is burning. When you've smelled it once, you know it for life.

your in VA, so I'm guessing it's COLD there right now... I'd think simply cold weather and you just happened to take notice of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need to perform a compression and leakdown test.

you should also carefully examine the coolant and oil.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Teching In

like badgtho said it you would have to do a compression and clyinder leak test and try to pin point exactly where it is leaking at if it is the head gasket...