General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

****buying A Car, Need Help****

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow ****buying A Car, Need Help****

Ok guys i need you guy's opinions helping me buy a car. I have narrowed down the list to this so far and ill explain why i like every car.

Things to keep in mindL
Im not gonna mod anything what so ever!
Currently i drive a Honda Passport, and im under my dad's insurance which he pays for, and i think he pays like anywhere between $50-70/month, so thats really cheap, I am 18 so if im going to get a fast, badass car the insurance will go up tremindously.

98-02 T/A
98-02 Camaro
2002+ Subaru WRX(not STI b/c i cant afford one)
2002+ Dodge SRT-4

Reasoning:

T/A and Camaro:

The good:
Pure American
Badass sound
310HP stock
2dr coupe
Extremely Low
Extremlely sexy

The Bad:
Terrible interior
Bad gas millage
Extremely expensive insurance
Terrible for winter

SRT-4 & Subaru WRX

The good:
SRT-4 weight: 2890lb(so thats 600 less than the T/A&Camaro)
WRX weight: 3100lb(still 400 less than the T/A&Camaro)
Much cheaper insurance
Much better for winter
Much better gas millage

The Bad:
Not nearly as sexy looking as T/A&Camaro
Alittle ricy :/
230HP(both of them)
WRX has an amazing handling

My thoughts: A big turn off for me for the WRX is that the speedometer only goes up to 140, i know im not gonna drive 140 everyday, or anything near it, lol but knowing and seeing 160 like the other ones make me feel as if i have a bad *** car that is capable of doing that.

I dont know what the max top speed of the T/A&Camaro's(absolutely stock) are but when i researched the srt-4 its top speed is an amazing 156, which comes from a 4cyl engine that produces 230HP, lol I find that really nice, just knowinig that my car is capable of doing that, IDK what the WRX can achieve but from what i've heard it has an amazing and surprising acceleration that you would not expect. T/A is my dream car, that is a fact. But from what i've seen in everycar on this website when they are in the "sale" section, they all have cracks on their doors and the T-Top's leak and what not, so little things like that get extremely annoying. The srt-4&WRX are pretty much the same car with both having 4cyl turbos and close weights but like i said the 140 speedometer thing really annoys me b/c my current car(passport) has a 120 speedo :/ weird little petpieve? maybe

So i typed alot and thank you for reading, so what is you guy's opinions?
Old 03-04-2008, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by D3VIL
T/A and Camaro:

The good:
Pure American
Badass sound
310HP stock
2dr coupe
Extremely Low
Extremlely sexy

The Bad:
Terrible interior - Isn't bad if the car hasn't been beat on, mine only rattles if going over a really bad road
Bad gas millage- Once again I get about 20-23 MPG mixed driving
Extremely expensive insurance- For you yes, for me not really. Also those other cars will be right up there with the Camaro/ T/A
Terrible for winter- Depending where you live, you can always buy a $500 beater like most of us do

SRT-4 & Subaru WRX

The good:
SRT-4 weight: 2890lb(so thats 600 less than the T/A&Camaro)- Still just as fast if not slower than a stock LS1 car
WRX weight: 3100lb(still 400 less than the T/A&Camaro)- same as above
Much cheaper insurance- Not really, will still be considered a sports car, will be slightly cheaper
Much better for winter- The WRX perhaps, the SRT will be slightly better. I still say buy a $500 beater and keep your car nice
Much better gas millage- The WRX with awd will get the same if not worse MPG

The Bad:
Not nearly as sexy looking as T/A&Camaro- They can be made to look nice, but yes you're right
Alittle ricy :/- WRX = NO! As most V8 guys would own one or atleast I would, SRT = very much so
230HP(both of them)- WOW! That's a lot! J/k
WRX has an amazing handling- An LS1 car can too

My thoughts: A big turn off for me for the WRX is that the speedometer only goes up to 140, i know im not gonna drive 140 everyday, or anything near it, lol but knowing and seeing 160 like the other ones make me feel as if i have a bad *** car that is capable of doing that.- Go that fast and your insurance will go up I promise. Keep the crazy speeds to a minimum!

I dont know what the max top speed of the T/A&Camaro's(absolutely stock) are but when i researched the srt-4 its top speed is an amazing 156, which comes from a 4cyl engine that produces 230HP, lol I find that really nice, just knowinig that my car is capable of doing that, IDK what the WRX can achieve but from what i've heard it has an amazing and surprising acceleration that you would not expect. T/A is my dream car, that is a fact. But from what i've seen in everycar on this website when they are in the "sale" section, they all have cracks on their doors and the T-Top's leak and what not, so little things like that get extremely annoying. The srt-4&WRX are pretty much the same car with both having 4cyl turbos and close weights but like i said the 140 speedometer thing really annoys me b/c my current car(passport) has a 120 speedo :/ weird little petpieve? maybe

So i typed alot and thank you for reading, so what is you guy's opinions?
My opinion is you should buy the car you truely like. You're on a LS based website of course our views are going to be more biased. I tried not to be. If I had to choose other than an LS based car I'd go with a WRX. More reliable, not as hated as the skittles. Better looking, doesn't have the ricer branding or atleast not out here for the most part. Also, I think if you do some searching on this site, you'll find that MPG can actually be on the 310+ hp cars sometimes even better than the little 4's you are interested in. If you want speed and power don't worry about gas mileage because if you do you wont be happy in the end. I would say if you ever do plan on modding the Ls based cars will be your best bet. Even though you said you won't we all know you will.Good luck with your choice
Old 03-04-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

ive looked at all those cars and for me at the time, 20yrs old, no tickets, under my parents insurance, the trans am was cheaper to insure than those imports. i pay $550 every six months.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol just dont buy the f'n neon.......j/k....king made some good points, but if not the f-bod, I would get the subbie....then maybe an aztek, the honda element....then maybe the SRT....maybe.....at the end of the day, the choice is yours....
Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the opinions, the interior issue can be annoying but im not beating my self over it and the mpg is not nearly a concern for me as much as the insurance money. I hope your right about the insurance money. If i would get 550 for six months i would take the ls1's in a heart beat. I'd even be happy with 800 for six months. But when i did a quote i got some crazy *** quotes like 250/month, i was like wtf??? im 18, so that doesn't help at all, ill see if i have a ticket or not on the 17th of march, i have to go to court b/c i did a U-Turn on a green light, but there was a "No-U-Turn" sign there though, i didn't see it :/ gay ticket. Hopefully things work out so i can have one of the fastest cars on the street, the ls1's of course, lol
Old 03-05-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dude... you need to narrow it down.

i can't imagine trading my t/a for a dodge neon.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

F bodies get good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it. I get about 15ish MPG and thats a mix of freeway and city with the occasional beating. If your not planning on modding the car which you prob will just get a TA or camaro you will not regret it. But then again i am biased
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Launching!

The mpg is not much of a concern for me b/c i currently get like 13ish with my passport, i get by with like $30/week cause i dont drive a ton, so im happy with that, my biggest concern is the insurance issue, b/c im 18 and soon will have 1 ticket i believe my insurance even under my dad will be quite high!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I'm getting around 15-16mpg. My car is only $136 a month to insure, and im only 23. A Camaro/Firebird is waaay better than an import.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mpg is not much of a concern for me b/c i currently get like 13ish with my passport, i get by with like $30/week cause i dont drive a ton, so im happy with that, my biggest concern is the insurance issue, b/c im 18 and soon will have 1 ticket i believe my insurance even under my dad will be quite high!
I am 19 and I pay 1029 every 6 months, full coverage, under my name.
I go to college full time, I work 20 hours a week, I pay car payment, phone bill, rogers and hollands bill (girlfriend ) car insurance, gas. I still live at home, you got to do what you got to do to have a bad *** car. Just get a good job and you should be able to keep up.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

the insurance on the subaru and the domestic rice will be just as high because they come turbo'd from the factory. unless it's on a diesel, turbo = sports car to an insurance company. i would automatically factor that out. and fwiw, mustangs are more than fbody's too.

you will be better off getting the subaru than a skittle that's for damn sure, but dont expect either car to get better mileage! i'm getting 17-18 from my car with a 3500 stall, gears, and headers w/ no tune. stock i got 22 AVG! i know 6 speed guys with bolt ons and stock gears get 22-24 and up to 30 on the hwy.

but you can pick what you want
Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I think i will go with the LS1 for sure, i just hope when i go see what the insuranse will costs, it'll be less than 800 under my dad's name, if so that finishes the deal with me.

One more question: how will do the LS1's do against constant abuse? CONSTANT! b/c unfortunately my driving is alittle agressive, i get extremely annoyed and extremely quickly with slow drivers, lol
Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I think i will go with the LS1 for sure, i just hope when i go see what the insuranse will costs, it'll be less than 800 under my dad's name, if so that finishes the deal with me.

One more question: how will do the LS1's do against constant abuse? CONSTANT! b/c unfortunately my driving is alittle agressive, i get extremely annoyed and extremely quickly with slow drivers, lol
Unless your missing shifts and bouncing the limiter constantly, they were designed for that. With the mods in my sig I get ~13mpg city (short distance) and 23-25 highway. My insurance is $67 a month under my dad's policy (listed as secondary car) for full coverage. The insurance shouldn't be that bad unless you pit it in your name. The WRX and the SRT are gonna get the same mileage as the LS1's, or worse if you stay in the boost. If you don't get an LS1, get the WRX. If you buy a skittle I'll shove your passport up your ***.