General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

207k Miles + Sea Foam = W-O-W!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KMK454
Is this an LS1 only thing? My LS2 has 70k miles on it, LGM commented that while putting new springs in, the oil looked like it had never been changed ever (which of course was hardly the case). Of course, they also tear into brand new Z06s all day, so...
Nope, you can use this treatment on basically any engine in any car. Go down to the general maintenance section. There will be a yellow sticky at the top that says "how to seafoam your car", read that it has all you need to know. You can do it your self very easily. It is a good and easy way to keep your engine running clean and smooth.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
I am not sure about Seafoam, we tried it in a car applying it through the fuel rail valve using it as a fuel injector celaner.... we used the dispenser made by OTC.... was very hard to use, car wouldn't stay running, we found that in our case, the B12 cleaner worked better.... and the B12 was cheaper also.... like $3 per same presentation as Seafoam.
I have never heard of dispensing it this way. I have always read use a break booster or a pcv line. It is supposed to make the car run ruff while you are adding it, then with the final 1/3 of the can you stall the car letting the mixture sit in the combustion chamber and on top of the valves. It may have been your method was more of a problem than the product. If you want to use it as a fuel system treatment it is meant to be introduced through the fuel tank.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
Yep, thats why the sticky on seafoam said not to run it as long as the bottle says in the crank case. I ran my crankcase treatment around 50 miles and did not experience any issues. I assume though your problems are why the sticky said do not do the recommended 100 miles. I have also read some unnerving things about the Lucas treatment in some threads here. Do a search on it and you may want to change your oil again.
A thought on why you lost oil pressure, this may be due to the seafoam actually doing its job. It may have dislodged a piece of gunk/build up that was stuck in the journals of your crank case and it then got stuck to the screen on the oil pump pick up. The crankcase treatment is do remove any build up from oil like paraffin based build up or other grime left by broken down oil.
Yeah I just did a search on it, and apparently, in some cases, Lucas makes the oil foam up... I'm wondering if i need to replace the filter too. I literally have only driven the car for 60 miles since the last change.