General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

exhaust x h or y?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust x h or y?

I have an 02 6spd Camaro Z28 and want to get my exhaust done my current mods are LS1 Hot Cam,SLP MAF,SLP Intake,Custom PCM Tune,ASP Pulley,LS6 intake manifold,SLP strut bar,B&M Short Throw Shifter,UMI Control Arms,Nitto DRS. I do not have headers and i am wondering what tipe of exhaust I should do a better Y Pipe, X Pipe, H Pipe. Need to know which one would give me the most power with what I have done and sound good while doing it. I know you want just the right amount of back pressure not to much but not to little.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Don't worry about backpressure... You could search and find the answer but since I'm here-

X-Pipe---Best flow, Good Sound

H-Pipe---Good Flow, some people prefer the sound of this one, I think it depends on the rest of the exhaust setup. A friend of mine tried an H pipe on his 402 with single chamber flowmasters and it sounded like a dumptruck.

Y-pipe--- A good Y pipe will flow well and have the best ground clearance because our cars were designed with a Y pipe in mind. You can still use any catback you want to.

The X and H are going to require you to run true duals. Most people like the sound of duals better than a catback but they are going to be louder. There is also less ground clearance. It all depends on what you want.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

excellent explanation
Old 03-25-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Search in the Gen 3 external engine forum. There are about a million threads on this subject, along with a ton of sound clips. Here is one for you, this is my T/A I sold a few months back. I had a comp 224/230 114, TSP ls6 heads, full bolt ons. The exhaust was a tsp x with flowmaster single chambers. This is the only way to go on the F-body IMO.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

here's mine: 2.5" H-pipe with single chamber VR mufflers (a PERFECT flowmaster knock-off for half the price(i've had both)), no turn-downs/dumps/etc...just 2 mufflers welded to a H-pipe off the headers with no cats....as it should be

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZFk0qv-QEJY