General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Window motor = NO FUN!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
I just payed someone to do mine. Think it costed me $200 in labor, I still don't care.
yea, I probably would have paid someone else to do it, but I made an oath to myself to do all the rest of the work on my car. I spent $90 on a new 18V drill and some drill bits. so I guess I didn't come out that far ahead.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea GM was silly on this. The funny thing is the motor on my 2000 Corvette died half way down a few weeks back. I kinda didn't know what to expect when me and my friend and member here went to install the new one. We were done in 30 min. GM got smart in 97 at least on the Corvette. Here is a pic of the window motor on C5-C6's. Held in by 4 bolts and 2 bolts hold the glass itself

Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the writeup...gonna have to do my drivers side today
Old 03-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

meh my drivers side just dies when it feels like it and works sometimes. Really don't feel like doing it.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

ye window motors are definetly a pain. Especially when you go to put the panel back on and clips start breaking
Old 03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Launching!

mine was not bad at all
Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

OK guys if your window doesnt go all the way up you need to adjust it, two different spots to do this and it is going to take a few tries if you havent done this before. By the way I installed autoglass for ten years so I have done one or two. Back to adjusting, there are two plasic hooks so to speak on the glass one on the front and one on the back that hit a stop bolted to the door that when loosened will slide up and down. You dont need to move these much a little bit goes a long way. There is also an adjustment on the rear track inside the door, at the top of it there is a stop that can also be adjusted,but use this one as a last final tweak if needed. To answere your question on rivets versus bolts is due to the weakness of the door versus the torque of the motor. I have personaly fixed this problem dozens of times when someone bolted the motor/regulator back in and the bolts started to walk in the hole and eventually came loose leaving a bigger hole and alot of times bending the regulator leaving you with more problems so if you have bolted your regulator back to the door keep a close eye on it the correct way to keep this from happening is to rivet the regulator back on the door. If any one has any questions feel free to shoot me a pm or post on this thread as I will watch it now. Hope this helps everyone
Old 03-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Also for the guys that need to replace their motors advanced auto parts sells the motor and regulator together for $54+tax wich would make it a lot simpler. Havent made it to the store to look at it and make sure it is a good quality piece but I wiil try to today and let you guys know
Old 03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camarojunkie
OK guys if your window doesnt go all the way up you need to adjust it, two different spots to do this and it is going to take a few tries if you havent done this before. By the way I installed autoglass for ten years so I have done one or two. Back to adjusting, there are two plasic hooks so to speak on the glass one on the front and one on the back that hit a stop bolted to the door that when loosened will slide up and down. You dont need to move these much a little bit goes a long way. There is also an adjustment on the rear track inside the door, at the top of it there is a stop that can also be adjusted,but use this one as a last final tweak if needed. To answere your question on rivets versus bolts is due to the weakness of the door versus the torque of the motor. I have personaly fixed this problem dozens of times when someone bolted the motor/regulator back in and the bolts started to walk in the hole and eventually came loose leaving a bigger hole and alot of times bending the regulator leaving you with more problems so if you have bolted your regulator back to the door keep a close eye on it the correct way to keep this from happening is to rivet the regulator back on the door. If any one has any questions feel free to shoot me a pm or post on this thread as I will watch it now. Hope this helps everyone
Thanks man. I am the OP, and for some reason the window just sorta fixed itself as far as alignment/adjusting goes. I drove it this morning, and bam seals perfectly. Guess I am just lucky!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Good deal but I would still check and make sure the bolts didnt slip in the holes causing the window to self align so to speak because if it did it and goes unoticed could cause some real issues later on down the road. Glad I could help! I just hate to see anyone have to fix an elongated hole on these inner doors which is a PITA trust me. Just my stong customer service ethics coming out,been there to many times, not trying to ramble on or anything just hard to explain briefly and once again glad I could help.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

I really can't think of any GM product that they don't rivet the window motors in. If your window does get stuck , a good whack on the motor with a small hammer will free it up 90% of the time. The driver's window on my '96 S10 Blazer stuck and I did just that. That was over a month ago and no problem since.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The window motor isnt that bad. It helps to have an extra set of hands though.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found a good write up on the installation with photos and I knocked it out in about 45 minutes..no big deal at all..paid $36 for the motor with a life time warranty @ advance auto parts and free labor by me..not a bad deal at all the orginal motor lasted 6 years and 130,000 miles..
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badjuju342
I really can't think of any GM product that they don't rivet the window motors in. If your window does get stuck , a good whack on the motor with a small hammer will free it up 90% of the time. The driver's window on my '96 S10 Blazer stuck and I did just that. That was over a month ago and no problem since.
Mine didn't get stuck, but was really slow and would stop before it got to the top. Then, if you waited a minute or two, and tried again it would complete. Got tired of it, so I replaced it.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:24 PM
Warning: Bad Trader

Dude The Window Motors In These Dman Cars Go Out All The Time Its Cause Gm Put All There Money In The Motor And Not Anythign Else The Motor That These Doors Have In Them Cant Support The Weight Of The Window I Replaced 4 In About 3 Months So Good Luck
Old 03-31-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep on putting if off but my passenger window on the 95' is about dead. I know once the weather picks up here, I will have to because I will want my windows down but I cant roll it down and then all the way back up in one motion. It takes about a half hour alltogether....good ****.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't know that bolts could negatively affect the door. Where hte heck am I supposed to get that large of a rivet gun though? Everywhere I called didn't have anything to take a 1/4" rivet!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Yea GM was silly on this. The funny thing is the motor on my 2000 Corvette died half way down a few weeks back. I kinda didn't know what to expect when me and my friend and member here went to install the new one. We were done in 30 min. GM got smart in 97 at least on the Corvette. Here is a pic of the window motor on C5-C6's. Held in by 4 bolts and 2 bolts hold the glass itself

Not bad, good news! I have done a few f-bod window installs. I have not had the Z long enough to replace one of its motors yet. Glad to know it wont be bad.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

im in the same boat here. i have a connection at a GM dealer that can get me the parts at a discount. so i had them order it and i will pay them when it comes in. when it came in the bill was for $162. i was speechless at the price, then they said they couldnt order just the motor, its the full assembly. so now i have to install the whole shebang. wish me luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone in Houston wanna help me with my driver side? please?