General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Window motor = NO FUN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well ****, i need to do my driver side window motor. The damn thing die's on me, and i have to wait a few second's before the window even goes up some.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
+1: I actually got the drill holes right the first time. That webpage really helped. The only issue now is that it won't go ALL the way up. I mean it goes up for the most part, but leaves that last little bit (literially a millimeter). Is there a way to fix that. Right now i just have to pull it up with my hand to make sure it creates a seal so water won't leak in.
i just open the door and push the button..only way it works for me..
Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

Did you have to change the regulator too or did just replacing the actual motor do the trick?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camarojunkie
Good deal but I would still check and make sure the bolts didnt slip in the holes causing the window to self align so to speak because if it did it and goes unoticed could cause some real issues later on down the road. Glad I could help! I just hate to see anyone have to fix an elongated hole on these inner doors which is a PITA trust me. Just my stong customer service ethics coming out,been there to many times, not trying to ramble on or anything just hard to explain briefly and once again glad I could help.

Any news on the quality of the piece sold by Adanced? If you say it's good I think I'll be ordering one in the next week. My driver's side has been out for 2 YEARS! Any time I wanted to drive with the windows/ttops down, it was a 2 hr affair getting it back up...
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone else find it strange that the motors are riveted in, instead of bolted? What was GM thinking?
It's things like this that allow you to get so much engine performance for so few dollars. I try to look at things this way and knew it going into this car. I'm thankful that GM saved dollars on things like the mounting and quality of the window motors so the drive motor could get extra dollars and resources. It all trades off. Change your perspective and be thankful they put most of their effort into the ls1 motor
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Mine didn't get stuck, but was really slow and would stop before it got to the top. Then, if you waited a minute or two, and tried again it would complete. Got tired of it, so I replaced it.
Mine would do the same thing so I got tired of it and replaced it! I spent about 3 hours working on it(till it gave me a headache), quit , and kept on drinking. The next day I got back on it with a fresh mind and finished it in about 45 minutes.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
It's things like this that allow you to get so much engine performance for so few dollars. I try to look at things this way and knew it going into this car. I'm thankful that GM saved dollars on things like the mounting and quality of the window motors so the drive motor could get extra dollars and resources. It all trades off. Change your perspective and be thankful they put most of their effort into the ls1 motor
It probably wouldn't have cost anymore then 10-20 dollars more for a MUCH better setup.

CHEAP.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chrome355z
It probably wouldn't have cost anymore then 10-20 dollars more for a MUCH better setup.

CHEAP.
Let's go out on a limb and say your estimate is close to correct..10-20 cost, now it sells for 20-40 to the consumer, and that's just one system, so 20-40 for that, 20-40 for better brakes, 20-40 better suspension, 20-40 for better speakers, 20-40 for whatever other twenty systems they could have spent more money on, now they are not competitive anymore price-wise. It's not like they were like, "how can we rip off chrome 355z?" It's more like they were like, "how can we sell an affordable 350hp lightweight, stylish monster to chrom355z and a hundred thousand of his buddies and still turn a profit?". Plus the budgets come from the higher ups, and the engineers are like ok we have x$'s to work with, should we put it into the drive train, or high quality easy to replace window motors? Hmm think of the brochures, look at this sexy window motor mounting setup...
Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Let's go out on a limb and say your estimate is close to correct..10-20 cost, now it sells for 20-40 to the consumer, and that's just one system, so 20-40 for that, 20-40 for better brakes, 20-40 better suspension, 20-40 for better speakers, 20-40 for whatever other twenty systems they could have spent more money on, now they are not competitive anymore price-wise. It's not like they were like, "how can we rip off chrome 355z?" It's more like they were like, "how can we sell an affordable 350hp lightweight, stylish monster to chrom355z and a hundred thousand of his buddies and still turn a profit?". Plus the budgets come from the higher ups, and the engineers are like ok we have x$'s to work with, should we put it into the drive train, or high quality easy to replace window motors? Hmm think of the brochures, look at this sexy window motor mounting setup...
the man's got a point
Old 04-03-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im happy with my manual windows
Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry guys had a few things come up. The rivet gun for those rivets could be hard to come by I know any glass shop will have them, have you checked all the places that rent tools(which you probably have but had to ask) You will be ok with bolts if you have lock washers on them and check it a few times to make sure it doesnt move around.

The one at advanced looks good of course I havent actually used one yet but it does look like a quality product.

Yes the motor alone will fix the problem no need to replace the regulator also unless yours is bent or has excessive play at the pivot joint, or unless you just want to which I do unless the cost is just unreal. It is easier for me to do it this way just a personal preference.