General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Hard Proof on LS1 F-Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't understand the thought process behind you people that would only buy a car because it's fast. I like the whole package with these cars. I would never buy any car based on speed alone.
thats not what hes saying.
think about these cars and the point hes making.
are you going to buy a bone stock ss and leave it bone stock? no.
and if thats what he meant then the guy who started this thread would go buy a piece civic. its inferred that he also likes the appearance as well
Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't understand the thought process behind you people that would only buy a car because it's fast. I like the whole package with these cars. I would never buy any car based on speed alone.

Not JUST because it's fast, but the performance value IS a big part of it.

Would you buy one of these with a V6? Hell no, I'd be willing to bet.

You gotta admit, these cars have more than thier fair share of quirks, but the V8 sure makes them easier to deal with.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike

You gotta admit, these cars have more than thier fair share of quirks, but the V8 sure makes them easier to deal with.
haha yea my bird is a v6; did it that way because this is my first f body and wanted to lean in easy-not that im a bad driver- jsut wanted to know em inside and out. in 2 years i plan on getting a t/a, still kepping my bird.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady_Bird
are you going to buy a bone stock ss and leave it bone stock?
Maybe, depends on my goals for the car in question. If it was my only car and a daily driver, then yes it would stay mostly stock no question.

That's why I said the whole package. I didn't buy any of the 4 LS1 cars I've owned just becasue of the LS1. The engine is just part of the whole package that I love.

I've owned a lot of cars, they ALL have their issues. There is no perfect car, so you just have to balance the good with the bad. Again, look for a package that you like, not just an engine.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Well, I'm 18 and I have a job, so I'm paying myself. Whatever loan, its all me. So my parents are just trying to look out for my best interest (boring car?), and I've already thought about mods. I'm going to swap a crate engine in it next summer (LS6 or 7) and it'll be boosted for road racing. My dad owned a shop for Harley's, so I have some technically know-how (hey buddy, get that wrench?). My current car goes in for repairs so much (pretty sure everything on it is new by now, stopped have problems like 2 months ago) but it's a high mileage 4-banger. I've always loved Camaro since I was like 4 or something, so I wanted it to be my first *real* car.

It's a Camaro or a GTO either way, but a Camaro is a cheaper car with cheaper insurance.
It would cost an honest $20k to get a boosted LS7 in there........

plus trans, rear, clutch or stall. etc. Your gonna have to drop $30k just in mods
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by streetassasin
It would cost an honest $20k to get a boosted LS7 in there........

plus trans, rear, clutch or stall. etc. Your gonna have to drop $30k just in mods
+1
yeah when u said drop a ls7 i was kinda like... uh, hmmm. does he know what hes getting into if money is an issue. plus youve got to swap out a bunch of other things too bc of the added power. hello new rear end first off.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, I already know. Which is why I'm doing it next year. I make more than enough money to pay off the car and any added parts.

I don't get why people aren't able to understand this. Everytime I say it I get comments saying "DONT DO IT". Weird.

But I'm probably going with a LS6. I might go with an LS7 if I find one used. I'm not paying 15k for a crate.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Yup, I already know. Which is why I'm doing it next year. I make more than enough money to pay off the car and any added parts.

I don't get why people aren't able to understand this. Everytime I say it I get comments saying "DONT DO IT". Weird.

But I'm probably going with a LS6. I might go with an LS7 if I find one used. I'm not paying 15k for a crate.
feel free not to answer because its absolutely none of our business but where do you work and how much are you making?

just trying to get a better idea of your monetary restraints

i made $9.50 an hour as a manager at a food palce working 17 hr days plus college to put a downpayment + insurance on my bird
Old 03-30-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rust really depends on where you are...Im not to aware of the weather in MD, but the cars are great and really last. Its not the age that does it its the way it is treated. I have an 01 WS6 that has been babied and is like new and a friend has an 01 SS with 5k more miles than mine and has all kinds or problems because he bought it from someone who didnt take care of it. Really no two cars are alike.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

I think you can find some with low miles for a good price. Low miles to me is in the 60K miles and under range. My cousin recently found a 98z that was owned by only one person, a man who is in his 60's, and the car is BONE stock. 55K miles on it. He got it for 7500.00. We found other similar deals as well, but we liked the idea that the car was owned by an older individual and was untouched to the paper filter. Look around, look at autotrader,local traders, craigslist, ebay... search and you will find
Old 03-30-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

feel free not to answer because its absolutely none of our business but where do you work and how much are you making?

just trying to get a better idea of your monetary restraints

i made $9.50 an hour as a manager at a food palce working 17 hr days plus college to put a downpayment + insurance on my bird
Food Lion + $9/hr + 10hr days/4 days a week = $20k a year give or take. Plus I don't pay for anything, no monthly payments or anything I mean.

I'm also getting a job this summer that pays $15/hr plus commission.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Save your money!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

why get a low mile car if your gonna mod like crazy? You'd be better off with an forged 408 or 402 with a 300 direct port shot or D1-SC, cheaper and stronger
Old 03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

why get a low mile car if your gonna mod like crazy? You'd be better off with an forged 408 or 402 with a 300 direct port shot or D1-SC, cheaper and stronger
Maybe even try to find a cheap roller car
Old 03-30-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by streetassasin
Maybe even try to find a cheap roller car
Because I need to car to drive me around for a year while I save for the engine.

I was thinking about getting a high mileage (80-100k) and swapping a LS6 into it but apparently I can't get a high mileage car because it'll be unreliable.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by demo3k
I tend to agree you're not going to find a real nice reliable Z28/SS for under $5k. Good luck.
even for 5k, out here ive seen some clean looking 98's for 5-6k it all depends on the climate and life its been through. alot of times the person selling may list it low to get it out of the garage because of the wife
Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i found my z28 for 7700 with a completely built boost motor. and its in ok condition.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Food Lion + $9/hr + 10hr days/4 days a week = $20k a year give or take. Plus I don't pay for anything, no monthly payments or anything I mean.

I'm also getting a job this summer that pays $15/hr plus commission.
thats pretty nice and how much do you have saved up so far?
do you plan on going dealer or private buyer?
aka down payment at a dealer or pay in full to a private?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

There was a recent thread with the title "How Many Miles out of an LS1" that had a couple people with really high mileage. One guy had 240k+ on his Camaro. It's all in the maintenance.

I bought my car with the H/C swap already done for a little over 6K. Sure, it had wagon wheels and bald tires, a broken driver side mirror, and a dying passenger side window motor, but after replacing all that and registering the car I have about $7500 in it. It is a Formula with cloth seats, but the interior is in great shape.

You just need to do a little searching to find the right car. From what I've seen if your looking for an LS1 4th gen LS1Tech is going to have the best deals. They only show up from time to time but don't rush into paying 15K for a car only to see a better one next week for 10K.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats pretty nice and how much do you have saved up so far?
do you plan on going dealer or private buyer?
aka down payment at a dealer or pay in full to a private?
Couple thousand. I'll be getting a loan to pay off the rest. The loan is the only thing setting me back. My parents have to cosign, but they won't cosign for an "old" car.