General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need Hard Proof on LS1 F-Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Couple thousand. I'll be getting a loan to pay off the rest. The loan is the only thing setting me back. My parents have to cosign, but they won't cosign for an "old" car.
ah before you made it sound like the parents werent involved at all, that they were just concerned about the kind of car but you were paying for it w/o their cosign.
be aware... your parents have the full authority to take your car whenever they want if you cosign.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady_Bird
i made $9.50 an hour as a manager at a food palce working 17 hr days plus college to put a downpayment + insurance on my bird
17 hours a day working, plus you go to school?

Have you slept at all in the last ~4 years or so?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
17 hours a day working, plus you go to school?

Have you slept at all in the last ~4 years or so?
im a freshman so itd be winter+spring semester and let me tell you - barely!! but hey, i wnated that bird
i recently quit though - the owner wasnt giving me my W2s, withholding a paycheck and owed me money.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah before you made it sound like the parents werent involved at all, that they were just concerned about the kind of car but you were paying for it w/o their cosign.
be aware... your parents have the full authority to take your car whenever they want if you cosign.
That's one thing I don't need to worry about.

I have spare keys to all the other cars in the house.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought mine at 158k miles in December '07 and now has 163k miles. So far, I haven't had any issues. I replaced my master and slave cylinders because the clutch felt weak.

I did buy this car primarily because of the engine and the fun factor associated with it. Aside from that, I don't see anything else great about it. The interior blows, the fit and finish of materials are sub-par, the engineering of many parts make you think if GM engineers actually ever obtained their degrees (but I never complain about all this because I expected it coming into one and for the price I paid).
Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by newton
I bought mine at 158k miles in December '07 and now has 163k miles......The interior blows, the fit and finish of materials are sub-par,
Most cars with 160k miles have a pretty rough interior and finish at that point. They were pretty nice cars when new, and still are when you look at lower mileage and/or very well kept examples.

the engineering of many parts make you think if GM engineers actually ever obtained their degrees (but I never complain about all this because I expected it coming into one and for the price I paid).
Not sure what you mean here. These cars are pretty well built mechanically, IMO. The power window motors and power steering pumps could be better, but otherwise I don't really have any complaints.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vicinity
For some reason, after 3 months of trying to get a Camaro, I finally was told I'm allowed to. But out of absolutely no where, my parents decide the cars are too old to be reliable. Apparently 100k miles is way too many (and my current car has 140k) and it rusts too easily. Can anyone help me provide proof those are BS?
You can get a beautiful LT1 for 5K. Look around.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by COD02SS
You can get a beautiful LT1 for 5K. Look around.
got a z28 lt1 for sale if anyones interested
Old 03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Most cars with 160k miles have a pretty rough interior and finish at that point. They were pretty nice cars when new, and still are when you look at lower mileage and/or very well kept examples.

never go by mileage. cars with 20k miles can be in much worse condition than one with 100+.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree to a certain extent. The newest LS1 F-body I have ever had a ride in was my buddies' '02 WS6 with 21k miles on the clock. The interior did feel fresh, but some other F-bodies I have been in have had rattles and dismantling plastic pieces at 50k.

Not sure what you mean here. These cars are pretty well built mechanically, IMO. The power window motors and power steering pumps could be better, but otherwise I don't really have any complaints.
The LS1 is fantastic. The T56 could be better (or maybe mine is just stubborn sometimes in the cold). The 10 bolt rear end...definitely not the greatest rear end out there. I know they didn't design the car to be abused and to handle 5k clutch dump launches, but then again, critical parts on a car should be overengineered somewhat to handle tough conditions.

Then there's the small stuff like ergonomics that no one cares about (and neither do I), but it something I don't simply ignore. Examples include how the center cupholder is in a really bad position, since when I have a drink in there, access to the T56 shifter is really uncomfortable. Again, I don't care for what I expected and paid for the car, but it's one of the small things many other foreign car companies will not overlook.

All in all, I still love this car.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

never go by mileage. cars with 20k miles can be in much worse condition than one with 100+.
Of course, but the truth is, I've never been in a car with 160k miles that didn't show significant interior wear. To drive that many miles means that someone spent a lot of time inside the car, which causes a significant amount of wear.

We can all talk about how nice some higher mileage cars are, and how beat down some lower mileage cars are. But the fact remains that lower mileage cars are generally worth more, and there is a reason for that - they are *generally* (not always though) in better condition, all things being equal (same climate, similar age, etc.).
Old 03-30-2008, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

We can all talk about how nice some higher mileage cars are, and how beat down some lower mileage cars are. But the fact remains that lower mileage cars are generally worth more, and there is a reason for that - they are *generally* (not always though) in better condition, all things being equal (same climate, similar age, etc.).

+1 in agreeance towards generalization.
howveer, dont simply dismiss a car bcause of high mileage.
guy in my area had a camaro with 200kmiles in perfeect condition and ran perfect. one owner and damn did he love that car. would have thought it had 20k in the condition and upkeep he put towards it.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I agree to a certain extent. The newest LS1 F-body I have ever had a ride in was my buddies' '02 WS6 with 21k miles on the clock. The interior did feel fresh, but some other F-bodies I have been in have had rattles and dismantling plastic pieces at 50k.
Yes, you will have some rattles in these cars over rough streets, etc. But neither my 14k mile '98 or 73k mile '02 feel/sound like they are falling apart or anything. I'm sure some people are more picky than other's about interior noise, but I really don't think these cars are that bad. Maybe it's a perception issue....I just expect a stiff suspension, removeable roof car that was $25k when new to make a little noise.

Then there's the small stuff like ergonomics that no one cares about (and neither do I), but it something I don't simply ignore. Examples include how the center cupholder is in a really bad position, since when I have a drink in there, access to the T56 shifter is really uncomfortable.
I agree about the cup holder, not the best location. But I just use the passenger side one. Otherwise, I love the interior layout - the seating position, steering wheel & shifter location are perfect and fit me like a glove. All the controls are easy to access, and the car isn't loaded up with options cluttering the interior that I don't need or want.

Again, I don't care for what I expected and paid for the car, but it's one of the small things many other foreign car companies will not overlook.
Cup holders in my wifes Toyota were even less useable than my Camaro.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

+1 in agreeance towards generalization.
howveer, dont simply dismiss a car bcause of high mileage.
guy in my area had a camaro with 200kmiles in perfeect condition and ran perfect. one owner and damn did he love that car. would have thought it had 20k in the condition and upkeep he put towards it.
Agreed.

Climate has A LOT to do with it as well.

A 100k+ mile, daily driven, ~8 year old car in Chicago usually looks like *** when you really inspect it closely, no matter how well the owner tried to take care of it. Winters around here really kill these cars.

I'm sure a car with the same age, miles, and overall care would look 10 times better from southern CA or FL.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Examples include how the center cupholder is in a really bad position, since when I have a drink in there, access to the T56 shifter is really uncomfortable.
haha
+1 again. the cupholder location SUCKS!! its so annoying. i dont even consider it a cupholder but rather a change holder
Old 03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Agreed.

Climate has A LOT to do with it as well.

A 100k+ mile, daily driven, ~8 year old car in Chicago usually looks like *** when you really inspect it closely, no matter how well the owner tried to take care of it. Winters around here really kill these cars.

I'm sure a car with the same age, miles, and overall care would look 10 times better from southern CA or FL.
definitely agreed.
its amazing how my family has a 6 car garage and 10 car garage but there is no room for my car! however, i got my car in febrauary when the winter isnt as harsh. next winter, well be having some issues lol. no way my babys sitting out in the snow
Old 03-30-2008, 04:36 PM

my .02.........why buy a z28/SS if you are going to put a crate in it? why not buy a v6 and upgrade? i mean it was already said you'd have to put $30k in it. Why not get a v6, rip it out, put you boosted ls6 in it, and find a used t-56 plus all the other stuff? i dont get why people buy a v8 to swap for a v8 when you are replacing everything liek you want too.

im not ripping your idea at all cuz im 19 and no one thinks i can pay for the mods i wanna dump into my f body (once i find one for a good deal) but i can afford it so i see your point of view.

like i said, my .02.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is there a reason you are staying at your parents other then the fact that its free??

From your posts it seems like you dont want to go to college and are pretty content with 20k a year. Im sorry but that isnt much money at all even when you have ZERO bills. Especially when putting in a boosted engine in a year the budget always gets blown out of the water. You have great vision but I think its a little blurry honestly.

I know this sounds crazy but why not save a little bit of your money first or get out on your own? I know neither is as exciting as a fast car but both are more realistic IMHO. Ive seen plenty of my friends get an awesome car at 17-18 only to live with their parents until they are 24-25 because they have a big car payment and didnt go to college or some other adventure.

Good luck on finding your car. Ive been looking for about 9-10 months and just found the one I wanted about a month ago and its perfect. 01 Formula, M6, NBM, 62k miles and for 12.5k. Took a while but its literally EXACTLY what I wanted.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
So is there a reason you are staying at your parents other then the fact that its free??

From your posts it seems like you dont want to go to college and are pretty content with 20k a year. Im sorry but that isnt much money at all even when you have ZERO bills. Especially when putting in a boosted engine in a year the budget always gets blown out of the water. You have great vision but I think its a little blurry honestly.

I know this sounds crazy but why not save a little bit of your money first or get out on your own? I know neither is as exciting as a fast car but both are more realistic IMHO. Ive seen plenty of my friends get an awesome car at 17-18 only to live with their parents until they are 24-25 because they have a big car payment and didnt go to college or some other adventure.
whoa chill. he never said he wasnt going to school. and maybe he pays his aprents for board. even if he doesnt so what? theres nothing wrong with living with your parents
Old 03-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Banned

whoa chill. he never said he wasnt going to school. and maybe he pays his aprents for board. even if he doesnt so what? theres nothing wrong with living with your parents
+1 I still live at home. Pay rent too, but whats wrong with living at home?