General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Owner Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Owner Question

Hey guys, Im a new owner of an 02 Hawk, and the odo. just turned 85.8k miles and the 'Service Engine Soon' light came on. The car drives fine though.
So I was just wondering...

Is this something to be worried about, or is it a normal occurance for the light to come on at certian mileage intervals and just needs to be reset after the 'service' is done?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

go to autozone and get it scaned for free to see whats wrong.

I hate autozone but there the only place around here that does the free scanning.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
go to autozone and get it scaned for free to see whats wrong.

I hate autozone but there the only place around here that does the free scanning.
yeah thats what I was gonna end up doing before taking it to a dealer. Was just double checking to see if there is any reason to be worried.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Prob something really small if it is still driving fine.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not under any circumstances ever take your car to the dealer.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
Do not under any circumstances ever take your car to the dealer.
+100000000000000 on that!

Dealer = lots of dumb ***'s that just act like they know what there doing and it's way to expensive!!!!!!!!!! I was going to have them clear some codes off my car once it was going to cost around $75 and I was going to have to wait a week to get in. I straight up told them to F$#@ off. that it takes 3 seconds to plug in the thing and hit a button a few times.
I cant belive they do stuff like that to people.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
+100000000000000 on that!

Dealer = lots of dumb ***'s that just act like they know what there doing and it's way to expensive!!!!!!!!!! I was going to have them clear some codes off my car once it was going to cost around $75 and I was going to have to wait a week to get in. I straight up told them to F$#@ off. that it takes 3 seconds to plug in the thing and hit a button a few times.
I cant belive they do stuff like that to people.

If they have appointments, (and im sure they do) why would they let you cut in front of all those other people? Not to mention each one of those other customers were probably going to end up with bills much more than 75$ so its not like they are worried about the money. What makes you and your car more special than them?

Im not trying to rag on you, but we live in a world of instant gratification. If you cant wait your turn like everyone else, maybe you need to learn to be self sufficient.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redls1bird
Im not trying to rag on you, but we live in a world of instant gratification. If you cant wait your turn like everyone else, maybe you need to learn to be self sufficient.
Werd.

Back to the question at hand -

Don't sweat it. Happens to mine often. Sometimes it would happen if i bought gas from a certain independent station near me. Maybe their gas was a lesser grade or something. Take it to autozone and get it scanned for free. If it comes back that one of your 02sensors are not working/dirty i bet its just bad gas / low octane fuel causing it. Try throwing a tank of premium fuel in it and driving a few miles and see if that clears it up. That would usually do the trick for me. I usually run 89octane anymore since gas is crazy but sometimes if im stuck ill put in 87octane and that will sometimes cause it. If not, try disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery for a min or two. This will reset the light and if it comes back on, you may have a more serious problem. Now go get it scanned and post up with whats causing it so we can help you out better!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry about it. get it scanned at auto zone. its prolly a stupid code for catayst. o2's.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAMAROZ28SS
dont worry about it. get it scanned at auto zone. its prolly a stupid code for catayst. o2's.
I cleared my cats twice now and it keeps coming back.

+1 for cats

What do we get if we win...LOL
Old 05-03-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redls1bird
If they have appointments, (and im sure they do) why would they let you cut in front of all those other people? Not to mention each one of those other customers were probably going to end up with bills much more than 75$ so its not like they are worried about the money. What makes you and your car more special than them?

because it takes only 5 min max to do it! Its not like I was asking for them to rebuild my motor.. would you really pay someone $75 to work on your car for that long? It's not a big long process.