General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving my Camaro... Impressions Traction issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving my Camaro... Impressions Traction issues!

Just got out the car recently, that i bought last fall. Its a 2000 z28 with m6 TSP 5.3 stage 2.5 heads, torquer v3 cam , full bolt ons, ls6 intake, custom true duals, centerforce clutch, aluminum flywheel , dyno tuned on mustang dyno 418 rwhp and 38? rwtq . I drove the car about 30 miles today through town and on some back roads. The cam seems pretty aggressive for the street, the idle likes to surge up and down quite a bit upon starting until it settles in around 950 rpm. It is taking me a little time to get used to driving a car with that big of a cam around. The car has lots of power and im a little afraid of it without the traction control on. My friend had a similar setup in a camaro, and i watched him total it into a tree by my house when he lost control.

So i need to get more traction, i dont have the money right now for a 9", so thats outta the question. But i need sub frames first, then what do you guys think? Sticky tires? I would rather break a rear end than total the car so if that happens it happens, ill tow it home and save to fix it. The car currently has c5 rims 17" in front 18" in back. Should i go with an 18" drag radials? If so what is a good size that will fit under the car with no issues. Or would you keep the wheels i have and buy a second set of lightweight drag wheels with sticky tires? By the way the car is a weekend car only and stored when bad weather comes.

What do you all think?

Also what do you guys recommend for suspension parts for traction?
Thanks Darren
Old 05-17-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Start saving for a 9" and some suspension parts. Right now the lack of traction is saving your stock rear.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

if you are that worried about traction just grab up some M/T ET street radials and drive on them....be VERY careful if it looks like it is going to rain or has been raining...thats alot of power but many people DD more powerful cars everyday....check out UMI suspension parts on WS6store.com and contact sam strano...they are both sponsorers here----->

ps save for a 9'' you will need it haha
Old 05-18-2008, 06:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Amen to the lack of traction. I don't really like racing on the streets cause 1st and 2nd gear are damn near pointless. 1st gear is a total mess, and 2nd gear I'm fishtailing a little bit, kinda like a powerslide. I have Nitto 555 street tires on mine right now. LCAs will help somewhat with traction/wheelhop, but like everyone stated, start a 9" fund. I started mine as soon as the heads/cam was paid off. If you don't go track racing too much, I've read the Nitto Radials are pretty good and last a bit longer than the MT radials. Just depends on your driving habits and useage.