General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who here bought their LS1 f body new?(& still has it.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie to this site as I am a member on SFFBA.net, and usually hang there. Anyway, still remember when I took delivery in March of '98 of my black TA(almost went with the ws6 at the time, but couldn't get over the stupid single exhaust.....). Up until then, had owned two 5.0 Mustangs, but decided I wanted to stand apart from the crowd. Even the dealership (Palm Pontiac in North Lauderdale, FL)has been closed since about 2004. Still have her, but the heart is now an ls6 with the usual mods/exhaust upgrades. Of course, have gone through the usual(take your pick) window/headlight motor, drl issues. However, even to this day, still get compliments/nods/stares, especially if going to Publix(the bagboys start to drool)........even my neighbor refers to my car as "the Thunder car"...lol. I still even have the window sticker in the glovebox and the glossy Firebird advertisement book with pics and available options from the dealership. I could never imagine selling her, especially with all the memories attached...........and yes, she can still hold her own and more against cars costing three times as much, lol!

Last edited by spawnedin71; 04-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spawnedin71
Newbie to this site as I am a member on SFFBA.net, and usually hang there. Anyway, still remember when I took delivery in March of '98 of my black TA(almost went with the ws6 at the time, but couldn't get over the stupid single exhaust.....). Up until then, had owned two 5.0 Mustangs, but decided I wanted to stand apart from the crowd. Even the dealership (Palm Pontiac in North Lauderdale, FL)has been closed since about 2004. Still have her, but the heart is now an ls6 with the usual mods/exhaust upgrades. Of course, have gone through the usual(take your pick) window/headlight motor, drl issues. However, even to this day, still get compliments/nods/stares, especially if going to Publix(the bagboys start to drool)........even my neighbor refers to my car as "the Thunder car"...lol. I still even have the window sticker in the glovebox and the glossy Firebird advertisement book with pics and available options from the dealership. I could never imagine selling her, especially with all the memories attached...........and yes, she can still hold her own and more against cars costing three times as much, lol!
Welcome to LS1tech! You don't need to post here a lot to benefit from TONS of great technical info & debate... though I've noticed the forum population gets younger every year. (which is why searching old posts is still real helpful)

I'm with you on everything you said. I still have my '02 window sticker & showroom brochure as well ( From Courtesy Chevrolet, San Diego).
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks Paul 1953!!!
That's exactly what I do, as I usually don't chime in on posts, but this was a good one. I usually just research technical issues that I'm not familiar with, and could be here all day looking things up, lol. Take care and enjoy your ride!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Didn't tell the wife about it and you're still married?? Did you get one of these? or were you just in deep
I admire your courage
The funny thing is that we had been looking at computer desks the week before. So when she came home I had dumped all the slp boxes in the living room, grabbed my son to take him for a drive. As we are driving around my cell rings, its the wife "you bought a computer desk without my input" Ah no, its not really a computer desk. So I rolled into the driveway and went to get her, "Its very nice but you can take it back now" I think is was about that time I got the door slammed in my face. Haha, she got over it.

As for the mods, we were car shopping a couple of years ago. Just looking for a good daily driver for the wife. There was a brand new M3 out front of a BMW dealership. The wife looked inside and said "Oh I love those seats" I explained that it was a good part of $100,000 for those seats plus car. Well she kept on about those seats. Anyways I figured for a lot less money I could try and replicate some of the M3 features, I ordered a set of Recaro's for my butt. Stripped the interior and layed in 16 sheets of Dynamat. Added a JL digital 750 watt class one amp and a 8"W7 sub to my sound system. And just to give most other cars on the road a swat the AES 440. Probably one of the best things I did was put in a set of air bags in the rear springs so I'm not banging off the stops all the time. You know how everyone talks about the LS1's third gear pull, the pull in third gear in this is insane, fourth gear will still plant back in the seat.
Sorry for the length of this but I love the car....
Old 04-19-2011, 12:33 AM
On The Tree

Wow I wish I could have bought my Ws6 brand new, but I was only 10 when my car was made lol. I hate the fact that 3 other people owned my car before I did and it only has 40k miles, oh well there loss. Unlike most young people like myself I don't think I want to mod my stock TA I kind of take pride in it being all original makes me feel like I sorta got it new. Only way I'd sell it is if it were for another Ws6 same year or newer and with less miles and owners haha.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Resident

Just a comment:

I have a buddy who loves imports. Small turbo 4cyl engines. His ride at the times was an awd talon.

I took him for a ride in my 98 Trans Am and launched hard and fast. I remember seeing him squirm and his face had turned stark, his eyes went wide, and his mouth gaped open.

When the ride was done, he told me it just wasn't his thing. He liked his ride more "refined".

Me? I loved it - and I couldn't stop thinking about how much MORE fun it'd be with another 100hp
Old 04-19-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghostintheshell
Just a comment:

I have a buddy who loves imports. Small turbo 4cyl engines. His ride at the times was an awd talon.

I took him for a ride in my 98 Trans Am and launched hard and fast. I remember seeing him squirm and his face had turned stark, his eyes went wide, and his mouth gaped open.

When the ride was done, he told me it just wasn't his thing. He liked his ride more "refined".

Me? I loved it - and I couldn't stop thinking about how much MORE fun it'd be with another 100hp
These cars aren't for everyone but it sounds like your friend has new found respect for actual V8 performance cars.

Quick Reply: Who here bought their LS1 f body new?(& still has it.)