General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

F-bodies- fiberglass or plastic body panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default F-bodies- fiberglass or plastic body panels?

Do 4th gens have a fiberglass front end, or is it some type of plastic? what about the roof?

how long do these panels usually last? I mean do they get brittle and crack with age?
Old 05-31-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

front end is a plastic, not fiberglass. Ask me how I know (broken fender from deer impact). I have t tops so I have a glass roof. The part behind the t-tops I think might be plastic too but I can't say for sure. The doors are fiberglass.

My car is 10 years old and there is no sign of being brittle, the plastic still flexes a bit just as it should.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only metal on the car is the strap behind the t-tops or the roof if it doesnt have t's, the back quarterpanels are metal. the fenders are plastic, on ss's the hoods are fiberglass but metal on others, the doors are fiberglass the front clip is plastic along with the back bumper cover, the back strap above the bumper cover is also metal, hope that helps you out a bit, plastic panels last forever, if you look carefully you can notice where the screws are holding it, but everything holds up well..
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
The only metal on the car is the strap behind the t-tops or the roof if it doesnt have t's

you mean the sailpanel? I thought that was plastic or fiberglass, as well as the entire roof if it's a hardtop?
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadElky
you mean the sailpanel? I thought that was plastic or fiberglass, as well as the entire roof if it's a hardtop?
No, the hardtops are metal. I thought the sail panel on t-top cars was plastic though since it is glued down.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

To get technical the panels that are SMC (a strong type of fiberglass) are:
Hood on an SS, not sure on a pontiac.
Doors.
Roof panel.
Rear hatch.
Rear Spoiler.
Rear tail panel.
Rear bumper support that bolts to the frame.
Front upper bumper support.

Plastic parts:
Front fenders.
Inner rear bumper.

Urethane parts:
Front and rear bumper covers.

Styrofoam: front inner bumper support.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
No, the hardtops are metal. I thought the sail panel on t-top cars was plastic though since it is glued down.
The bracing inside the roof is metal but the actual painted portions are the SMC (fiberglass) on hardtops, I'm in the middle of painting and filling holes in one right now
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
To get technical the panels that are SMC (a strong type of fiberglass) are:
Hood on an SS, not sure on a pontiac.
Doors.
Roof panel.
Rear hatch.
Rear Spoiler.
Rear tail panel.
Rear bumper support that bolts to the frame.
Front upper bumper support.

Plastic parts:
Front fenders.
Inner rear bumper.

Urethane parts:
Front and rear bumper covers.

Styrofoam: front inner bumper support.
very nice, the hood on the ws6 is also fiberglass
Old 05-31-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no "fiberglass" on an F-body. None.

SMC is completely different than Fiberglass. SMC is much more stable, much more rigid, and much better. They are very different chemical compounds.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

you need to use urethane on the front and rear bumpers for flex. especially the front with the parking spots being in front of a curb or stopper lol
Old 05-31-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic

SMC is completely different than Fiberglass. SMC is much more stable, much more rigid, and much better. They are very different chemical compounds.
Sheet moulding compound (SMC) or sheet moulding composite is a ready to mould fibre-reinforced polyester material primarily used in compression moulding. The sheet is being provided in rolls weighing up to 400 kg.

DESCRIPTION

A fiberglass reinforced thermosetting compound manufactured by dispersing long stands (>1”) of chopped glass fibers on a bath of polyester resin. The longer glass fibers in SMC result in better strength properties than standard BMC products. Typical applications include demanding electrical applications, corrosion resistant needs, structural components at low cost, automotive, and transit.

not arguing just want to know more of the difference between smc and regular fiberglass. Or can SMC be considered a type of fiber glass. If so than is it wrong to call my hood fiberglass
Old 05-31-2008, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

wow great info! thanks guys. Just always wondered if these cars would hold up over many years. souds like they'll outlast my el camino.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

The resins used between fiberglass and SMC are different. With fiberglass, it's like a 2-part epoxy. When you have a mold, you spray a release agent on to the mold and then lay or spray the fibers between applications of resin.

With SMC, the release agent is in the resin itself, and the parts are pressed in to shape rather than laid or sprayed. Makes for a virtually void free product. Fiberglass frequently has thin spots with air bubbles (my VFN hood, for example, had several thin spots that broke through upon inspection with "the poke").

Traditional fiberglass resin will not bond to SMC. It will 'look' like it does, oh, for maybe a year. Then the bond will fail. This is because of the release agents in the SMC fighting against the bond of the fiberglass resin. So you shouldn't repair the white fibery SMC panels with traditional fiberglass resin. You have to use SMC compatible products.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The resins used between fiberglass and SMC are different. With fiberglass, it's like a 2-part epoxy. When you have a mold, you spray a release agent on to the mold and then lay or spray the fibers between applications of resin.

With SMC, the release agent is in the resin itself, and the parts are pressed in to shape rather than laid or sprayed. Makes for a virtually void free product. Fiberglass frequently has thin spots with air bubbles (my VFN hood, for example, had several thin spots that broke through upon inspection with "the poke").

Traditional fiberglass resin will not bond to SMC. It will 'look' like it does, oh, for maybe a year. Then the bond will fail. This is because of the release agents in the SMC fighting against the bond of the fiberglass resin. So you shouldn't repair the white fibery SMC panels with traditional fiberglass resin. You have to use SMC compatible products.
thanks camaroholic, you know your stuff
Old 05-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Banned

So you shouldn't repair the white fibery SMC panels with traditional fiberglass resin. You have to use SMC compatible products.
So thats why the fenders on my dually keep cracking, that incompatable repair material, and hitting car mirrors and trees. And the latest was a traffic cone at 80 so I guess I'll look for the right stuff to repair that crack with. Thanks for that info.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

So thats why the fenders on my dually keep cracking, that incompatable repair material, and hitting car mirrors and trees. And the latest was a traffic cone at 80 so I guess I'll look for the right stuff to repair that crack with. Thanks for that info.
pics of said dually? I drive my dads 96 GMC occasionally. (actually using it right now)
Old 06-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BadElky
pics of said dually? I drive my dads 96 GMC occasionally. (actually using it right now)
Pics: http://jayscarsite.homestead.com/92silverado.html

You can't even see the amount of work that went into this truck, the back 1/3 of the pass fender is hand laid fiberglass. Since 2004 I've sold it and got it back three times.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Pics: http://jayscarsite.homestead.com/92silverado.html

You can't even see the amount of work that went into this truck, the back 1/3 of the pass fender is hand laid fiberglass. Since 2004 I've sold it and got it back three times.
nice, My dad's is the 6.5 TD. wish it was the 454.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

TheWS6 hood IS fiberglass. I know I had to repair mine and when I sanded it down you can see the fiberglass.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sandman22
TheWS6 hood IS fiberglass. I know I had to repair mine and when I sanded it down you can see the fiberglass.
please sandman tell me you are out of the 14's

Quick Reply: F-bodies- fiberglass or plastic body panels?