General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do It Yourself Jobs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id say anything except for stuff like balancing(tires, cranks, etc), alignments and that sort of stuff, anything else COULD technically be done as long as you have the know how.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you'll be surprised what you can do yourself when you don't have any money
Old 06-08-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like what everyone else is saying...everything is do it yourself. All you need is the time, patience and garage to do it in. I have done everything on my 2 Camaro's but lower my '01 and the paint work I have had done on both. Everything else I have done by myself or with buddies. That includes dropping the subframe in both cars, building a stroker engine, in car cam install, head swap, rearend swaps, suspension upgrades, nitrous install, the list goes on and on. With the right tools and a little patience anything is possible!
Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 AM
12 Second Club

i'm a waste. i bring 90% of the problems to my mechanic...Don't be like me
Old 06-08-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't count how many things I've looked up instructions for online. Other than zero extra room in the engine compartment, these cars are fairly easy to work on
Old 06-09-2008, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
And yes, I rebuilt an engine in my apartment before, with the engine stand in the middle of the floor because I didn't have a garage or an extra bedroom.
In college, I had to rebuild my engine in the dorm. (1970 LeMans with a 350) Luckily my room was on the first floor. Some friends on the football team helped carry the complete engine out the door to a buddies pick-up. I installed it in the parking lot. No oil stains on the carpet either.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timberman00
In college, I had to rebuild my engine in the dorm. (1970 LeMans with a 350) Luckily my room was on the first floor. Some friends on the football team helped carry the complete engine out the door to a buddies pick-up. I installed it in the parking lot. No oil stains on the carpet either.
Yeah, the apartment was a dump, so I didn't care. And the (often rebuilt due to racing) dirt bike was in the bedroom, so no room there. Currently building a fully forged 355 in the garage, along with a 810cc Ninja 750 motorcycle. So the job jar remains full. Anything that man can build, man can rebuild. But are you up to the task?
I maintain that the OP wanted easy to do tasks, which I named before.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Easiest way to DIY, remember what order you pulled **** apart. lol but just try whatever you feel comfortable with, if you've never welded before, don't make your first attempt on something that cost you money. But if you can turn a wrench and have a friend or two, you can do just about anything on the upper half of the engine. Also, go down to your local Autozone or whatever, and find a Chilton or Haynes auto repair manual for your car. it'll help you get to different parts of the car and show you different assemblies. they're only like 20 bucks.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Default Hell yeah

Originally Posted by timberman00
That is the manliest thing I have ever heard. Somebody get this man a beer.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

^^ lol x2

I agree with 5six, buy yourself a repair manual and have at it.

I do pretty well everything myself. I made a tool to align my car (yes, because they are $200 from GM) and did it myself (school's alignment rack), mounting and balance tires myself (once again... because it's an fbod you will go through tires), built and changed rearends, changed who-knows how many damn transmissions (10+), and I have completely disassembled an fbody to a shell.

Very frustrating at times, but I think it's fun. I started out with about $100 in shitty tools and now I have worked my way up to about $15,000 worth of Mac stuff. Good tools make everything 10x easier. And the dollar amount keeps rising in tools.. I have far from what I'll have in the next couple years. Lifetime warranty, and you can always use them for something. Good investment IMO.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

The only thing I would ever pay anyone else to do is dyno tune my car and weld in a roll cage.

Everything else I do on my own, but it helps that I work as a tech in a dealership, having a lift I can work out of and having every tool I will ever need to do anything on an LSX car.