General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pulling Motor...how to unbolt tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling Motor...how to unbolt tranny??

Hey guys, I have everything off my motor leaving me only with the short block, but I still have the transmission hooked up and was wondering if I could leave that under the car when I pull out the motor or would I need to drop that as well? I am pulling the motor out the top and it is an M6. If it would be easier to leave it connected and just pull it all out together then I will do that???

If I could leave it there when pulling it out what bolts must be removed when unbolting it from the block....I see the 7 on the bell housing but what else?

ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

try a search
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Launching!

lol....thanks man, are you trying to get me back for your last thread??
I tried searching but came up with nothing
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned

You either need to unbolt the trans or drop the k member about 3"
You can try to pull it, I'm not positive on the M6 but I know with an A4 the trans hits the K member and the intake hits the cowl. Thats another thing you could pull the intake I guess. With everything together it just barely doesn't fit.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really are better off dropping the motor from the bottom , not the top. Unbolt struts, k member,rear trans crossmember , wiring harnesses , lines, etc. I know it sounds difficult but is much easier . Plus , if you leave the front wheels on , a floor jack under the rear on the trans will allow you to roll it right out from under the car.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Launching!

I was thinking about dropping it from the bottom since everything is already unbolted from the motor (except transmission) but I need to move the car out the garage since the motor and transmission will be a 2-3 month process when rebuilding.

Any more suggestions??
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Like you said, it's already tore apart. Just hook a chain and start yanking. the weight of the tranny will actually help tilt the motor back, just make sure it doesn't tilt thru your windshield. You would have to really get that motor up. I hope you have extra sets of hands.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

i unbolted the bellhousing from the engine, and pulled the engine forward in the engine bay, then tuned it sideways like a honda and it goes right out the top. This was on an a4 96 trans am
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

You can simply unbolt it and get the engine out of the top. I've done it with A4 and M6 cars with the tranny attached, and without the tranny is a breeze. Especially since it's just a shortblock, leave the tranny in the car

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Banned

Shortblock? I missed that part. I pulled the A4 and all out of a '98, intake and one head off, hood still on and everything. Came right out. Damn sure been a waste of time dropping the k member for that one.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scoggin Dickey
You can simply unbolt it and get the engine out of the top. I've done it with A4 and M6 cars with the tranny attached, and without the tranny is a breeze. Especially since it's just a shortblock, leave the tranny in the car

So its safe to unbolt the trans from the bellhousing then leave the transmission in the car and pull the motor out the top.....Do I need to support the tranny with anything when doing it this way?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

gotta take everything off the motor just the block and heads need be left.... no valve covers or accessories.... if your handy or have a buddy that can weld make you a plate to bolt to the valley ..... if you need an idea for the plate check qtps website http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...late/index.php they even sell what im talking about if you cant get one fabbed up it will save you alot of time... as for the tranny take it off it will make things a lot easier... if you need any more help or ideas feel free to pm me
Old 06-20-2008, 06:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

dropping it out from the bottom is the easiest way to get the motor out on late model f bods
Old 06-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SLOW30th-TA
If I could leave it there when pulling it out what bolts must be removed when unbolting it from the block....I see the 7 on the bell housing but what else?
There are 8 bolts, usually you have to pry it off the dowel pins. Put a jack under it. When you get the engine out strap it up, don't let to drop down.

There is no reason to drop a short block out of the bottom.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it is all in what you are used too. I have dropped 4 motors out of the bottum. never pulled any out of the top. Last one I did I had the motor and tranny on the floor in an hour and had the car running again with the new motor in another 4.5 hours. I guess you could pull it out of the top for now. But when you go back together it is easier to have the motor completely assembled going in. when I pulled my buddies motor. we dropped it out the bottum and just bolted the k member back inplace so he could take the rolling chasis back to his house. had the motor and the tranny on the floor.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:20 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOW30th-TA
So its safe to unbolt the trans from the bellhousing then leave the transmission in the car and pull the motor out the top.....Do I need to support the tranny with anything when doing it this way?
Yes, it's totally safe and there is no reason not to, I think most of these guys are missing that you don't have the heads or anything on the engine. Make sure you have the tranny supported front and rear. Unbolt it all, support the tranny and tie the cherry picker or whatever you are using to pull the engine, then you will likely have to pry the tranny off of the dowel pins, it's usually not TOO hard. You can put the engine back in as a longblock just as easily if you need to when the time comes. Both ways are easy enough, and out the top is the best for you considering the disassembled engine and that you are more comfortable going out that way

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-20-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Take the tranny out with it. I had to drop the pan to tap it a couple days ago and really wasn't that far from acutally dropping the motor from the bottom. Do it this way with a picker on the front support. The easiest by far!

I have a nice link saved on fav on my home pc, if I remember I'll post it for you when I get home. Or pm me if you are interested so I don't forget.