General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help!! 98 LS1 in a 68 Camaro running bad when at temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! 98 LS1 in a 68 Camaro running bad when at temp

drove my project car for the first time today and everything worked great until the motor got up to temperature.

It would hardly run once up to temperature. WTF? My tuner just downloaded a quick program removing the VATS and some other stuff earlier during build, could something he did be causeing me problems?

I dont have a temp sensor installed yet. My harness was sent with a two wire and whats on my motor takes a 3 wire. I did splice in the colors yelow - yellow and brown - brown leaving a green un used?

I also dont have the speed sensor plug connected on the tailshaft, same reason as above.

And my pcv valve tube got damaged. valve cover breathers are filtered but no pcv right now.

when I started it up to pull the car out the passenger side tail pipe was puffing black smoke but not the drivers.

Any help would be great,
Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

My only guess would maybe be o2 sensor . Might be making one side run rich and not the other?? Thats pretty weird, sorry i couldn't be more help. I would check the sensors and the wiring to them.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by formulajunky98
My only guess would maybe be o2 sensor . Might be making one side run rich and not the other?? Thats pretty weird, sorry i couldn't be more help. I would check the sensors and the wiring to them.
It stopped smoking once i backed it out. I found O2 delete sensors that fake out the PCM for $100. I really dont need O2 sensors being my cars a 68, would be nice if it was a 67 or the laws changed.

Any ideas on why the cars runs horrible at operating temperature?
Old 06-23-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need to have the car tuned badly it appears, and the o2 delete are for the rear o2 sensors ls1 cars have 4 of them and when you add headers you run the o2 simulators or turn them off when you tune the car

go to someone who knows what they are doing and get a good tune in the car
Old 06-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Installed the new correct temp sensor and that didnt help. Taking it in tomorrow to see whats happening,