General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Stolen Modded F-Body / Insurance Claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stolen Modded F-Body / Insurance Claim

Hi folks, My modded 2000 SS Vert was stolen last week. I will be dealing with State Farm on the claim. I have more than $15,000 in mods, between H/C, bolt-ons, rims and audio. Of course I do not have a policy rider or whatever that would specifically insure all the mods. Does anyone have any experience or advice on dealing with the insurer?

Thanks for any help.

Will
Old 06-25-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Receipts of mods will help you a ton. Sorry to hear it, and GL.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
Receipts of mods will help you a ton. Sorry to hear it, and GL.
+1

Good thing your with state farm, I've had nothing but good experiences with them. including a stolen vehichle.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I had geico when mine got stolen. I sent them $9000 in receipts, and they said it only added $200 to the value of the vechicle. Geico told me that if a single part was stolen that they would completly cover it, but since it was the whole car, it was a total loss. Its bullshit, your insurance adjuster will try to screw you out of alot of money its there job. On any other car they will probaly pay the right amount, but on an f-body with $15000 worth of mods, they will "most likely" try to screw you.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Teching In

I have all the receipts.

Good to hear that about State Farm. If you don't mind me asking, how did they come to value for your stolen vehicle? Was it modded?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

Your policy is written on an actual cash value basis. Without having a rider for mods, or atleast informing the agent your car had this extent of modification, you will most likely get Book Value on the car and not get covered for the mods. Even though the F bodies sell higher then book value still, they will not pay much more then that. You are much better off in the future having a car like these insured with a specialty insurer who will insure the vehicke on an agreed value basis.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigwillie
I have all the receipts.

Good to hear that about State Farm. If you don't mind me asking, how did they come to value for your stolen vehicle? Was it modded?
no it wasnt modded, but they gave me replacement value, which was about 2k more than what i could have ever sold it for. Mine was recovered tho, some f**ker drove it into a tree . if your's isnt recovered they will likely try to hold off giving you your settlement for a couple weeks, incase the car shows up.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

You cant seriously expect to pay the insurance company the monthly premium for a stock f-body, and then think they will shell out another 15k just because you have reciepts for them. I dont know if state farm offers customized vehicle coverage, but if you had it, you would be in better standing.

Good luck though, I personally wouldnt want my car back if it was stolen. Id rather start from scratch then get it back and feel so violated.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

What's this rider for modifications you folks are speaking of?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're gonna mod a car in high dollar amount , look for a "Stated Value" policy , google it or ask your agent for an explanation of this
Old 06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

my gf works for state farm. I asked her about this on my own car since it is modded. She told me unless I have the car appraised with the current mods, I wont get anything but the book value. Good luck in your claim though man. State farm is one of the best out there.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Teching In

I went through this with state farm on my girls car. Clean book "NADA" is all they would pay. After weeks of bitchn they told me to give them the receipts and they would see what they could do. They gave me 32% of the total receipts. The car was burned and they had all the stuff from the car but wouldnt do crap untill they got receipts. Allstate offers additional coverage for your mods at a good price. They charge about a dollar per thousand of additional coverage. If some one wants to do me a favor they can come burn all my cars and I can retire!!!! J/K
Old 06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Always, always, always set up a stated or declared value with your insurance, if they don't do it go somewhere that does. When my 71 was stolen I lost out on a couple grand but that was because I slacked on updating my stated value after some new heads. If it's not recovered they are going to wait 30 days minimum to start the process of paying you off. Just remember that this is a negotiation and that they will try to pay you the absolute lowest amount possible. I had to haggle with these idiots for two weeks just to get the stated value of my car even though the classic NADA price was higher. I hope it works out for you, just give them all your receipts and don't let them low ball you.

Last edited by torquejunky; 06-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got skrewed over on mine as well. Some *** face ran a stop sign and caused me to lose control of my Camaro and crash it.

I had about 6K into the damn thing. I got NADA value for it. I didnt want to buy it back but i was almost forced to because I had so much into it.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I have AAA and I have dedicated $5K aftermarket parts rider specifically to cover aftermarket stuff. If I was more heavily modded (eg. cam, stroker, supercharger etc), I'd probably look into bumping that up to $10k.

They told me without it they just pay "book" value...or basically what ever number they can screw you with.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Launching!

Last time I went to get my car insured, they told me it would be a good idea to get an up to date written appraisal and bring it in to them and they would work with me. That's all I got. Expect to be waiting for a while on the check...
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

That sucks! Hope it works out OK for you. I'm glad I have collector car insurance on my '01 SS for an agreed value of $30K.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that really sucks. good luck with the claim
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
my gf works for state farm. I asked her about this on my own car since it is modded. She told me unless I have the car appraised with the current mods, I wont get anything but the book value. Good luck in your claim though man. State farm is one of the best out there.

I just got back from State farm today. Had to fill out their classic / antique car form, give them pictures, list my mods, and I had the car appraised by an appraiser that they deal with. Otherwise, they just thought that it was a baseline firebird and I would get practly nothing for a car that I have $17,000+ into. W/ full coverage on the TA and my truck, I pay like $630 a half for my truck, and $350 a half full coverage and w/ appraised agreed value on the TA. If something ever happened to my car, and they gave me baseline value for it, I would never be able to get another one for a few years. At this point in my life, I could not replace it for a long time. State Farm is the best insurance company that I have dealt w/ so far. Hope everything works out on your ride...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigwillie
Hi folks, My modded 2000 SS Vert was stolen last week. I will be dealing with State Farm on the claim. I have more than $15,000 in mods, between H/C, bolt-ons, rims and audio. Of course I do not have a policy rider or whatever that would specifically insure all the mods. Does anyone have any experience or advice on dealing with the insurer?

Thanks for any help.

Will
Will, unfortunately you will only get book value for your car. My wife's Ws6 was stolen last October, and I had State Farm. I can't say anything bad about them, they handled the claim promptly. However when I asked about the extensive mods on the car, there was nothing in the policy regarding payment for them. By the way I had all of my receipts. So, unfortunately you will have to eat that cost. If you want to pm me with any questions feel free to do so. I know how you feel.....Good luck..Andy

Quick Reply: Stolen Modded F-Body / Insurance Claim