General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

TCS: What is it good for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

noob drivers who cant handle the power of a ls1
Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
At the risk of pissing people off, IMHO TCS is for non-driving *****... Well, it may be an advantage for the novice driver. I've had several vehicles with TCS of some sort, and every damn one of them did worse in the snow with it active that when I disabled it. I grew up and learned how to drive on RWD... A '64 Chevelle with 4 wheel drum brakes, no ABS, no TCS. I think alot of crap on cars anymore is because alot of people don't know how to drive that well and it helps keep the attorneys of sue happy people away from the manufacturer... Kind of like the dick that sued McD's because they got burned by their hot coffee.
I agree...I had my car in the snow this past winter, and there was one bad storm I got stuck in, we got like 6" of snow in 2 hours. With the TCS on, my car literally would not move. As soon as I'd give it any gas, tires would spin, TCS would kick in. It kept repeating this process, and the car would not make any progress. Once I shut it off, I was able to make some forward progress by starting out in 2nd with a bit of wheelspin and being VERY light with the throttle. Sometimesa little wheelspin helps.

Once I got going I turned the TCS back on, but I was just driving just as careful, and I really didn't feel it kick in the rest of the time.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I know that my car doesn't have TCS. My car would get sideways when turning onto a street b/c my back tires were shot. Now I have new tires. It really didn't scare, hell the easiest thing to do was just take my foot off the gas!
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to say traction control did save me big time in my last car. It was snowy/icy out. I'm on the highway doing around 60 mph just keeping up with traffic (nyc drivers are a little insane). The road was mostly clear. I went over a bridge during a slight curve in the road and the rear jumps out about 35 degrees out the drivers side. I'm between two cars when this happens too. I took my foot off the accelerator and TCS helped with the rest. The car evened out and everything was fine. Just reminds me how quick everything can go to **** in these cars so thats why TCS is good to have in the rain or snow. Otherwise, its a pita and its never on in my car
Old 06-29-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Local-heretic
TCS is awesome for a street car.

If you get pissed off over a ******* safety feature that you CAN turn off, then maybe you need some medication or some **** because you obviously have bigger issues.
You need to fix your "12 second club" thing, nice runs buddy.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ads_99ta
TCS is not a bad thing at all. if you don't like it disengage it. i may be a novice driver but during a 2000 mile road trip i was going through what i thought was rain with cruise control engaged on I-40 in north texas turns out it was actually freezing rain and the rear end spun out almost 90 degrees at 70 mph. TCS kicked in and i was able to regain control of the car. then for the next 2 hours we were in an icestorm and slowed to about 35-40 mph with TCS engaged. i don't car how skilled you are with RWD cars, that is risk i wouldnt be willing to take with out TCS. and i could deal with the power being cut instead of fishtailing on ice on a major interstate. it's there for a reason. it can be defeated with the push of a button.
This happened to me as well, except my car didn't survive. Made a 90degree right turn to merge onto the interstate after it had been raining its dick off and the rear end swung about 90 degrees to the right, then TCS kicked in and I regained control, the car spun around 180 degrees and slammed into a guard rail facing the wrong direction going up the on ramp. Bah. I n00bed myself. But thankfully I did not go off the road when it initially turned 90 degrees because I would have gone down an embankmnt and really messed my car up.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TCS is just a backup in the rain or snow for the "just in case". When mine was a DD it came in handy in the snow. Not like it every really kicked on either. Don't mash the pedal and make it kick on and you're fine. IMO, people who say it sucks because they tried to get out of the way of another car or get through an intersection or turn quick to avoid another car, are simply not driving defensely or smart enough. Being as my occupation is a driver, the Smith Defensive Driving Program I was required to take, has great points and using those techniques, my TCS should never kick on even when it's enabled.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My '00 Z28 was my daily driver for 3 years...including extremely snowy Michigan
winters. Traction control (ASR since it was an A4) was very helpful in the snow.
Outside of that, it's completely useless IMO.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
My '00 Z28 was my daily driver for 3 years...including extremely snowy Michigan
winters. Traction control (ASR since it was an A4) was very helpful in the snow.
Outside of that, it's completely useless IMO.
It's "ASR" on my M6, too. I was never sure why they called it that, or what it stood for, but I think it was only "TCS" on Pontiacs.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

TCS is good for bad conditions.

If you hate just hit the button. Personally I don't turn it off unless I know I'm gunna want it off, like at the track.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Car is no longer equipped with tcs but i drove it in the snow a couple times with it on and it seemed to help. during a big snow it helped keep the rearend from walking out to the side when i was just cruising down the interstate.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmdale1984
It's "ASR" on my M6, too. I was never sure why they called it that, or what it stood for, but I think it was only "TCS" on Pontiacs.
Acceleration Slip Regulation, is what it stands for I think. It's just TCS with a different name for the Camaros.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
You need to fix your "12 second club" thing, nice runs buddy.
Thanks man.

I tried to get it changed, but the LS1tech feature that does that is messed up so they can't change the titles.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by R1ch
All it really does is kick the pedal at your foot when you start losing traction.
so thats what it was those times that i felt the pedal pushing my foot back

learned something new hehe
Old 07-01-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

GM put it there to give other cars a small chance in a race, if you forget to turn it off
Chevy = ASR (Acceleration Slip Regulation)
Pontaic = TCS (Traction Control System)

....they do the same thing

Last edited by foreverzero; 07-01-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Launching!

what is it good for?!? absolutely nothing!! NOTHING!! NOTHING!!!!! IF i don't... have ... you... sorry about that. it's really pretty worthless, people managed before tcs, abs, tsb, nos, mpg and mph.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

******. It's for novice drivers who can't control their car with the foot and need computer backup. Always off is the only way to ride. There are no situations where a good driver will find it an advantage. But it keeps the inexperienced from spinning out in the rain when adding too much power for road conditions. That's it.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidsmooth
what is it good for?!? absolutely nothing!! NOTHING!! NOTHING!!!!! IF i don't... have ... you... sorry about that. it's really pretty worthless, people managed before tcs, abs, tsb, nos, mpg and mph.
and there are still a LOT of morons out there that buy cars and can't handle them, even with TCS/ASR, which is why it was invented in the first place.....

i find it funny that so many people get sooooo pissed off about TCS/ASR, when it's only a push of a button away to disable it. don't like it? spend the whole 1 second it takes to raise your finger to the dash and press the button to disable it.....problem solved.....
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

I've only used mine a few times...I kept it on in heavy rain just in case.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
******. It's for novice drivers who can't control their car with the foot and need computer backup. Always off is the only way to ride. There are no situations where a good driver will find it an advantage. But it keeps the inexperienced from spinning out in the rain when adding too much power for road conditions. That's it.
well arent you just a badass