General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

TCS: What is it good for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS: What is it good for?

What does the TCS really do and is it helpful when you mod your car? I have an 02 auto ws6 without the TCS. I always wondered if I was missing something. I feel like my car accelerates fast even though it is stock. For those of you that have TCS do you use it often or is it something that helps you at the track?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Launching!

TCS only kicks on when the rear tires start slipping. Generally speaking, it's kind of slow to kick in, and if you're really trying to hammer it, it puts a huge damper on that.

At the track there's no reason to have it on, as it will slow you down.

You're really not missing anything
Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! I thought maybe it was slowing me down just a little.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

If you ever have to drive in the snow... you'll be wishing you had it. But performance wise, it's useless, unless you're trying to race in the rain.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Am I correct in saying that if I don't have the switch then my computer doesn't limit the torque under heavy acceleration?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

You've still got torque management
Old 06-28-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate the TCS, it really is just about useless. I think it's more of a liability thing for GM than anyting else. You punch it, and it stops the rear tires from spinning. It doesn't modulate wheelspin or the brakes or anything, it just cuts engine power so the car falls on it's face.

First time it kicked in for me almost got me hit. It was wet, and I went to cross an intersection fast. The wheels spun, like I expected, but then the TCS kicked in, and the car just stalled i nthe middle of the intersection. Not literally stalled, but it felt like it.

I guess it's good if someone inexperience with rwd is driving you car, otherwise I find it a hindrance.

I leave it on because the light annoys me, but if I think I'm going to need to take off fast from somewhere, like a busy intersection, I turn it off.

DEFINITELY turn it off on the track, if not you'll have the worst launch ever and make a fool of yourself.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

All it really does is kick the pedal at your foot when you start losing traction.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have Traction Control on my trans am.....
Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Since I don't have the TCS switch my traction control is always on. Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

At the risk of pissing people off, IMHO TCS is for non-driving *****... Well, it may be an advantage for the novice driver. I've had several vehicles with TCS of some sort, and every damn one of them did worse in the snow with it active that when I disabled it. I grew up and learned how to drive on RWD... A '64 Chevelle with 4 wheel drum brakes, no ABS, no TCS. I think alot of crap on cars anymore is because alot of people don't know how to drive that well and it helps keep the attorneys of sue happy people away from the manufacturer... Kind of like the dick that sued McD's because they got burned by their hot coffee.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

I think TCS is very useful in the snow. I've driven many old RWD vehicles in the snow (75 Camaro, 69 El Camino, 86 Camaro), and I can get around fine without. But it is MUCH easier to drive with the TCS. It's also easier on your tires. I've tried my 00 SS both with and without the TCS in snow and ice, and it was definitely easier to drive with it on.

I'm glad my car has it, and wouldn't want it any other way, but if you don't like it, that's cool, too. Just personal preference. And btw, I'm not talking about snow I've been in here, there isn't any (before anyone says I don't know what I'm talking about because I live in Texas). I lived in KCMO for most of my life, including the first couple years I had this car.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

i turn it off as soon as i get in the car, unless its rainy or snowy. i got caught out in fresh snow once and it helped a lot i thought and it helped me in the rain a couple times...
Old 06-28-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I hate the TCS, it really is just about useless. I think it's more of a liability thing for GM than anyting else. You punch it, and it stops the rear tires from spinning. It doesn't modulate wheelspin or the brakes or anything, it just cuts engine power so the car falls on it's face.

First time it kicked in for me almost got me hit. It was wet, and I went to cross an intersection fast. The wheels spun, like I expected, but then the TCS kicked in, and the car just stalled i nthe middle of the intersection. Not literally stalled, but it felt like it.

I guess it's good if someone inexperience with rwd is driving you car, otherwise I find it a hindrance.

I leave it on because the light annoys me, but if I think I'm going to need to take off fast from somewhere, like a busy intersection, I turn it off.

DEFINITELY turn it off on the track, if not you'll have the worst launch ever and make a fool of yourself.
no offense, but the TCS didn't get you almost hit, you did. the TCS doesn't control whether or not you pull out into an intersection. that's like trying to say you didn't shoot someone, your gun did. the gun (and your car) are only doing what they were designed to do, it's the person using that object that initiates the incident in the first place.

if you didn't know about the TCS and what it does, that's what the owner's manual is for. if you did know about it and didn't disable it, it's not the system's fault, it's yours. if you really want it disabled full-time, there are ways to do that, too.

personally, i turn it off as soon as i start the car about 99.9% of the time....but it is nice to have when your rear tires are getting old & worn out and the roads are wet. haven't had a chance to drive my car in the snow because, well.....it doesn't snow in TX.....but i'm sure it would be a necessity.

don't get pissed off at the TCS system, or even GM for putting it on the car. they did it to cover their asses....there are a LOT of people who don't know how to control these cars when they're at stock power levels, much less a modified one. if it really bugs you that much, take steps to defeat it permanently (like the skip shift on the M6 transmissions) and be done with it once and for all.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by UNmolestedTA
Since I don't have the TCS switch my traction control is always on. Thanks for the replies.
Way to help guys.. lol

No tcs switch means NO TCS.

unless you have the tc module
Old 06-28-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tcs has saved myself a couple times in rain, snow, and ice. but it also almost killed me when i wanted to have fun.

i basically leave in on now unless i know im going to be reckless.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily driver with 135k+ in Cleveland and the TCS has a purpose. I've driven through 3 blizzards with it, and countless heavy rainstorms with tires so bald you could almost see the threads. The last blizzard I drove 50 miles in snow so bad SUVs with 4wd were all over the freeways. I can't even count how many times my rear has slipped with 3+ inches of snow on a freeway at 45mph and the TCS jumped in just enough to keep things from getting bad. I've been driving rear wheel drive cars for over 12 years and I wouldn't want to drive the TA without TCS.

If you live in a snow state, turn the TCS off to get moving then switch it back on and it'll save your ***.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

TCS is not a bad thing at all. if you don't like it disengage it. i may be a novice driver but during a 2000 mile road trip i was going through what i thought was rain with cruise control engaged on I-40 in north texas turns out it was actually freezing rain and the rear end spun out almost 90 degrees at 70 mph. TCS kicked in and i was able to regain control of the car. then for the next 2 hours we were in an icestorm and slowed to about 35-40 mph with TCS engaged. i don't car how skilled you are with RWD cars, that is risk i wouldnt be willing to take with out TCS. and i could deal with the power being cut instead of fishtailing on ice on a major interstate. it's there for a reason. it can be defeated with the push of a button.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

TCS is good for snow and.........i guess ice too.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

TCS is awesome for a street car.

If you get pissed off over a ******* safety feature that you CAN turn off, then maybe you need some medication or some **** because you obviously have bigger issues.