General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trading in The Bird, what next C5 Vette or lease a truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in The Bird, what next C5 Vette or lease a truck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i am throwing everything back to stock on my bird...and have 2 options, trade it in and get a nice weekend warrior.nice day driving c5 vette, or trade it in and lease a brand new truck.

I like the lease idea on a truck cause i can drive it all year round, and i dont ave to keep it. I dont stay with the same car too long, even tough its just like renting cause your throwing money towards nothing.

Now for the Vette, ive always wanted one,, but i know im going to get raped on my trade in and on the price of the vette, i was figuring after i sell the performance parts on my bird i should be able to cover what they rape me on the trade in, my car has 70k and is a 99, clean as hell, interior and exterior. What does everyone think i sould do and what am i going to be looking at for a decent ls1 vette c5, and what to expect on my trade in
Anyways whats your guys input, i d really appreciate it
Old 06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ScreaminBird99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so i am throwing everything back to stock on my bird...and have 2 options, trade it in and get a nice weekend warrior.nice day driving c5 vette, or trade it in and lease a brand new truck.

I like the lease idea on a truck cause i can drive it all year round, and i dont ave to keep it. I dont stay with the same car too long, even tough its just like kirenting cause your throwing money towards nothing.

Now for the Vette, ive always wanted one,, but i know im going to get raped on my trade in and on the price of the vette, i was figuring after i sell the performance parts on my bird i should be able to cover what they rape me on the trade in, my car has 70k and is a 99, clean as hell, interior and exterior. What does everyone think i sould do and what am i going to be loong at for a decent ls1 vette c5, and what to expect on my trade in
Anyways whats your guys input, i d really appreciate it

i say you keep your performance parts and bolt them to a ls1 vette
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

Why would you want a truckl, especially as a daily driver? Unless you work construction and need it to haul, dont throw your money at it, especially a lease. You can get much better mileage out of an ls1 vette, plus its just more fun.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mileage is decent and you say the car is in great shape, get like $8-9k for it, then use that money and a loan from the bank to buy a C5 from a independent seller. Why get raped on the trade, and the vehicle cost by the dealer?? I've never seen a used vehicle for sale by a dealership anywhere near what its worth.

Before I knew I wanted a 4th gen, I test drove a 95 z28 at a dealership, they wanted $9k!!! Don't call them stealerships for nothing.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Why do you need a truck? Is there a specific use for it? I would keep your bolt on parts that will fit if you go with a LS1 Vette.

Leasing isn't a bad idea if you only keep a car for 2-3 years. Think of it this way, whatever company you lease it from is pretty much paying 50% of the car's value for what you aren't going to use.

Leasing gives you more buying power and you are able to get more vehicle for you money. The downsides are you have to stay within mileage and you can't really personalize the vehicle past anything that you can take off when it needs to be returned.

The other nice thing is at the end of term you'll know exactly how much you need to pay for the vehicle should you choose to buy it.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Before I knew I wanted a 4th gen, I test drove a 95 z28 at a dealership, they wanted $9k!!! Don't call them stealerships for nothing.
It's funny when people bitch about dealerships trying to make money. Maybe if people let them make money on new cars instead of at invoice or below it they wouldn't gouge as much on used cars.

I'm sure you try to get them to pay more than what is market value on your trade in with chipped paint that needs tires and maintenance.

In the end of the day it's a business, if they didn't make profits you would have no where to buy your next car or get service/warranty work done that is convenient for you
Old 06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is only worth 5 or 6k as a trade and a nice vett will cost atleast 23k and above. If you sell your car yourself you should be able to get 8 or 9k for it as someone else said.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

Indeed.. Post your car up on here and see how it goes. There's no hurt in advertising it as you sit and ponder your decision.

Damn, talk about two ends of the spectrum! A Corvette or truck of all things.. Could go two completely different ways. If you'd rather drive a Vette, you could always find a little beater Tacoma or something for when you need it. If you'd rather get a truck, you can still throw bolt-ons at it. How about a 6.0 Silverado?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Launching!

i have a beater to drive, so i am kind of leaning towards a vette, i want a truck cause ill be paying for it but i can drive it year round. I dont want to sell my car individually cause with the market so bad who knows when it will sell. Bit i guess at the end of the day selling myself will net me my best bet
Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Vette.... and just be gald you didn't post you were trading for a Mustang.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Like I said, it couldn't hurt to go ahead and post it up. What've you got to lose with free, international advertisement?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think its a waste to get a c5, go with a c6 as the c5 would be like getting ur trans am only with a different body all over again
Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Launching!

i would love a c6 but i want to be realistic...i cannot afford one
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

i would love a c6 but i want to be realistic...i cannot afford one

C6's are getting cheaper, hell C5's are getting even cheaper. I just picked up an 06 C6 A6 Z51 for $30,500. Here it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...156&highlight=

I would try and hold out for a cheap 05 C6 since they are a dream to drive but you could even get a C5Z for around $25K these days,
Old 06-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
C6's are getting cheaper, hell C5's are getting even cheaper. I just picked up an 06 C6 A6 Z51 for $30,500. Here it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...156&highlight=

I would try and hold out for a cheap 05 C6 since they are a dream to drive but you could even get a C5Z for around $25K these days,
Thanks for the advice man, you would kno, going from a Termi, to an ss to a srt now a c6, lol sounds like me with cars, i was looking at c5zo6's and am leaning towards them.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

C5, or if you can swing it, used C6 for sure, easily find a nice one for 30k or so
Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the advice man, you would kno, going from a Termi, to an ss to a srt now a c6, lol sounds like me with cars, i was looking at c5zo6's and am leaning towards them.

Yea man, my wife hates it. I kinda bought the C6 a bit fast since they were about to send it to the auction. The local Lexus couldnt sell it with thier customer base. Im still considering selling it in a few months for an 06 C6Z like I originally wanted.

I would say go for a C5Z since you cant beat the value anywhere if you pick one up for $25K or less. I know its tough to find C6's for $30K since they are usually around $32-36 on average. I was looking for a few months.

I will say this though. I am getting 18 mpg here in the city with the C6 and with the A6 it drives like a Caddy and goes like hell when you get into it. I would grab a C5 over the truck if it was me. Good luck man.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a beater to drive, so i am kind of leaning towards a vette, i want a truck cause ill be paying for it but i can drive it year round.
Where do you live that an all year round vehicle is a concern?

Just wondering. I drove my 'Bird all year round, but when I knew the weather was going to be bad I drove my Jeep. Work is 30 miles away, snowstorms sucked in the 'Bird.

If it's the weather that's a concern, they're are plenty other cars that can be driven around that get better than 13mpg (if you're talking fullsize truck).

No offense to anyone, but IMO is that unless you specifically need a truck for towing, business, etc, buying one as a DD is just plain dumb.

I get about 16mpg in my Jeep.....no F'in way would I buy a vehicle that got that kind of mileage nowadays.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

Definitely go with the C5. They are only going to run you about 17-18k for a nice one with under 65k miles. Look for a clean 98-99 for the best car at the best price. Or an 01 if you've got the money for the Z06. Good Luck with your search!!!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

C5 or C5Z