General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Found a ls-1 to buy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a ls-1 to buy!

Need some tips on what to look for on these cars, for wear and tear... It's a 2000 Trans Am, LS1, 6M . White, with black rims, the front brakes are red with "Corvette" written on them. It's a T-Top. 61K miles.

They are asking $12,000 for it. interior is spotless with leather. I'm ignorant to these cars a little bit, anyone know what model it may be? Exterior is also in mint condition. And the rims have a corvette symbol in the center?

I should probably mention that i am going through a dealer as i HAVE to right now :-\.

EDIT: sorry for ls1 with the - in topic title.

EDIT 2: The exhaust is not the stock one i think. The duals are rectangular.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 PM

completely forgot to mention they pay for half parts/labor for any problems 1 year/12k miles.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Launching!

well its a trans am it looks good from the pictures get some more.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I were you try to talk him down. I payed 13k this year for mine and it was a WS6 and only had 27k miles when I bought it. Try giving him an offer of 10k and meet in the middle. just my .02
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

not a bad looking T/A.....the tips almost look like gmmg, but i cant tell, is this a cell phone pic lol?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by LS184
not a bad looking T/A.....the tips almost look like gmmg, but i cant tell, is this a cell phone pic lol?
cell phone pic FTL .

does anyone know what model this is? i know trans am, but any subname like WS6? (i know it's not that)
Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

its just a plain trans am, no subname
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by LS184
its just a plain trans am, no subname
noone has really answered this, but maybe there is a list somewhere of things that normally go wrong on these cars? some stuff to watch out for before buying it?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Car looks clean, the rims are probably Corvette Z06 rims so thats the reason for the Vette symbol. Also same as the brakes, its prolly off a Vette. Just check for the usual stuff you would for any car, no leaks, strage noises, knocks, make sure it feels right, etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Launching!

i bought mine a little over two months ago and the alternator has already gone out. It's pretty common from what i read on here. Luckily it's not very expensive or hard to fix. you'll notice it going out by flickering headlights/dash lights. Also, if you plan on giving the car some power, you might wanna replace the 10 bolt rear with a 9" or something strong like that. But overall i would say these cars hold up great, and outstandingly well for performance cars. Plenty of people on this board have modded 100K+ cars that run great.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Car looks clean, the rims are probably Corvette Z06 rims so thats the reason for the Vette symbol. Also same as the brakes, its prolly off a Vette. Just check for the usual stuff you would for any car, no leaks, strage noises, knocks, make sure it feels right, etc.
The tires on the car are ridiculous... 275's on the front, 315's on the back! With me being the dumbass i am, is it possible to put some less wide tires on the rears? i mean my god! i'm just gonna do daily driving!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by simpfan21
The tires on the car are ridiculous... 275's on the front, 315's on the back! With me being the dumbass i am, is it possible to put some less wide tires on the rears? i mean my god! i'm just gonna do daily driving!
If you don't want wider tires like that you shouldn't be looking at a trans am? I don't know of anyone with a fbody who isn't always asking for wide tires, they look sick, grip better, and just plain look sick. Also doesn't this fbody look familiar like a user on this site? Ive seen a copy of this with the dark tinted windows also on here somewhere.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hell no leave the 315's on it they look freakin awesome i hate it when i take my wheels off for the winter and put my stock rims back on, cuz the 315's just look sick and very intimidating...so im guessing its 9's up front and probably 10.5's in the back cuz i dont think the zo6's came in 11's
Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
hell no leave the 315's on it they look freakin awesome i hate it when i take my wheels off for the winter and put my stock rims back on, cuz the 315's just look sick and very intimidating...so im guessing its 9's up front and probably 10.5's in the back cuz i dont think the zo6's came in 11's
Ok guys, my main concern is more pricewise. I will have the cash, but was just curious. How much are those tires each on average? And yes, my god they looked sicccck. 9's, 10.5's? Definition please? me = always been an import owner >_>.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

well good your leaving the imports and i was talking about how wide the rims were
9 inches wide up front and 10.5 inches wide in the back......i would see if they would lower it just a bit like the one guy said offer 10 and maybe meet halfway
Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by johnLs1camaro
well good your leaving the imports and i was talking about how wide the rims were
9 inches wide up front and 10.5 inches wide in the back......i would see if they would lower it just a bit like the one guy said offer 10 and maybe meet halfway
I really do appreciate all of your guys help, everyone has to start somewhere huh. I feel like i'm annoying all of you with my 20 questions... But I don't want to dive into something i have no knowledge of.

I'll try to haggle with him on price. I am under the impression the wheels the car has are very nice? I loved the way they looked alot.

Any way to check if the clutch is still shifting good? I'm used to all honda gearboxes, when i test drove it i had no problems.. but you never know. I still have to do alot more, check all the fluids, check for leaks... But i am in love with this vehicle . You try going from a 127HP civic to that all in one day .
Old 07-03-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol yeah your gonna love this a lot more than the honda,and na dude its cool about the questions, like you said you have to start somewhere...the wheels are freakin sweet dude,and if the car shifted fine and no grinding well then it sounds fine to me,but im an auto guy,so the m6 dudes might know more on that topic..
Old 07-03-2008, 01:44 AM

I just remembered that when i popped the hood, there were 2 intake cones at the front of the hood area... could this indicate it's been modified more than i think? If all the other stuff is there, i just don't know now!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Launching!

I have been looking for some wheels just like those. If you are interested in selling them, (This being if you buy the car) I would love to make a deal with you! I have chrome stockers in great shape with brand new shoes!
Now the main subject here, nice looking car! Try to talk him down a little, but some dealers on these cars don't budge. I know...I payed 12 for my 2000trans am almost a year ago. 60k miles, but clean!!!!! One thing to look for that I didn't noticed till that night I bought my car, that the headlights work properly. Not a big deal, can be fixed easily, but I am lazy and have started modding mine instead of fixing my headlight. Still have to raise it up at night.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by simpfan21
I just remembered that when i popped the hood, there were 2 intake cones at the front of the hood area... could this indicate it's been modified more than i think? If all the other stuff is there, i just don't know now!
That's probably a CAI, something like this. http://www.lmperformance.com/2387/1.html
Most of these cars will have basic mods like a cat back exhaust, CAI, wheels, etc. I think it would be wise of you to take some pictures of underneith the car, under the hood and anything else you might think is modded. Then bring those pictures here and you'll probably get all of your questions answered. Maybe even contact the previous owner if at all possible. The car looks and sounds pretty good to me btw.