General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Vert or Hardtop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb Vert or Hardtop?

Now the time has finally come where i have to pick between two beautiful cars and im beyond what you would call stuck. The first is a triple black 99 T.A convertible. Not really a fan of convertibles, but with me goin to FL for college, it would only work in my favor. Or option 2, a red and black 01 Camaro SS, love the color combo and theres jus summin about that center mounted exhaust that really catches me idk....lol

so i need some imput, out of the descriptions and reasoning I've put behind each car, which one do i choose?

Thanks guys

Vinny
Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

As much as I love 'Birds, between the two I'd take the SS, as long as it has T-Tops.

First thing I don't like about the Bird is that it's black...that's just my personal opinion, but I think black cars need too much maintenance to look good.

I also think the 'vert won't be all it's cracked up to be, I think with the heat and humidity you'll get in FL, you'll end up top up, AC on most of the time. I know even with t-tops, if it's really hot and sunny out I leave them on and turn on the AC. Maybe I'm a baby, but even at speed, it just gets too hot in the car with the roof off. During the evening or in cooler weather is where the t-tops/vert will really shine, but if it's hot and humid at night, same thing, I'll take the AC instead.

Another downfall to the vert is if you ever plan on modding it or taking it to the track. They're heavier, but more importantly, if you go faster than a cetain time, they won't let you run w/out a cage. I have a friend with a 'vert, and technically he's not supposed to run under 13.5 at our closest track becasue he's got a vert.

Plus, the SS is two years newer, and will have a few updates, including the LS6 intake, which is a plus if you ever decide to start modding. As far as CME, I don't care for it, but if you like it, there's another plus in the SS column.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i'll go with the SS! not just cause i own a hardtop which probably looked like the one your looking at now, i'm not a fan of verts just because of the top. and also what the guy above said about bein at the track, also if you ever plan to autocross you'll do much better with that hardtop

any pics of the 2?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a tough choice. a vert in florida would be hella nice, but then on the other hand you got an SS you can side with, but its a hardtop (im guessing no t-tops). i guess it would depend on the mileage, price, overall condition, and personal preference. what are the prices between the two? a4 or m6?

when i was at school in florida, i had my black t/a with t-tops. let me tell you, the black will attract all the suns heat. black is not that hard to maintain, but when your at college and have no access to a hose, get used to looking at a dirty car. but let me tell you, i enjoyed the t-tops in that weather, and youll enjoy it even more with a vert. only during august and september did i use the a/c often.

check your PM's

Last edited by slayerized6; 07-06-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally, I'd go hardtop SS. Black's hard to maintain if you care about your paint, and vert's would be fun every once in a while and looks great topless, but most of the time it'd be a burden, imo. I'm guessing there's a huge blind spot, it's a lot heavier, probably a lot more prone to body twisting, and you'd need a cage a lot sooner than most.

A hardtop is hard to come by, not to mention a CME. Those two alone make that a good investment. Plus, it'd be a lot lighter with more potential to go fast, cheaper.

If I wanted a show car/cruiser, with no intentions of racing, I'd get the vert and keep it stock. But if I wanted more of a performance car, I'd want the hardtop without a doubt. It's all about what you want out of the car though. Either way, it's still a bad *** car. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Regular

Even though i own a black vert given the details you provided i would take the SS. Verts are nice but a hardtop SS with CME is just too good to pass up.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Hard choice...I really would have to think long and hard on it...both are so nice..
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

both are nice, but id go with the ss. i had a tripple black camaro (well kinda, it had "gray" interior) and it was nice, but that top was still hard to keep clean, and it needed replacing when i sold it (it was 10 years old)
Old 07-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Launching!

The weight difference is about 110lbs, but being in Florida is not all it's cracked up to be. Depending on where you are, you can have huge downpours daily. Not only will this make your car dirty, but it will also expose any imperfections in your top. Not to mention Florida sun and weather will speed up the aging process on the top. I love my vert (used to hate them) but honestly the SS is a better choice.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go with the hard top i think you would like it more..my buddy has a vert and it gets so damn hot sometimes sitting in traffic...plus the ss is a 01 so it does have the better manifold and i guess the centermount exhaust was put on it which is baller
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would definitely take a hardtop!! convertables =
Old 07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Ditch the vert!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for al the inputs guys, heres the links to both cars which are both currently for sale, on this site

T.A Vert : https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-wanted/938028-wtb-ls1-car-close-ny.html

SS Hardtop : https://ls1tech.com/forums/eastern-members/937384-wtb-ls1-car-close-ny.html

the vert you have to go down the add a lil, while the hardtop is right in your face..lmao

Vinny
Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Without knowing more info about both of those cars (price, miles, condition etc. etc.), I'd have to say the SS.

Then again... It's a hardtop which I'm not a big fan of. I once had a hardtop 99 Firebird and after owning several T-top F-bodies before that, I got really tired of not being able to take the tops off.

So..., if I was to choose from the two mentioned above (again, without knowing more about them) I'm not sure if the Camaro being newer and SS would be enough to win...

It's going to be your car, so you choose which ever you like the best. It's about time you buy one already, too. I've seen you trying to get one for months already.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default lmao

Originally Posted by Texfinn
Without knowing more info about both of those cars (price, miles, condition etc. etc.), I'd have to say the SS.

Then again... It's a hardtop which I'm not a big fan of. I once had a hardtop 99 Firebird and after owning several T-top F-bodies before that, I got really tired of not being able to take the tops off.

So..., if I was to choose from the two mentioned above (again, without knowing more about them) I'm not sure if the Camaro being newer and SS would be enough to win...

It's going to be your car, so you choose which ever you like the best. It's about time you buy one already, too. I've seen you trying to get one for months already.

yea i finally come into money and now im stuck with this dilemma, both are really nice but im really picky...thanks for the kind words of wisdom buddy, and no matter what i pick, i'll still finally be the owner of a LS powered F-Body!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97 FiReBiRd
no matter what i pick, i'll still finally be the owner of a LS powered F-Body!!!
That's the main thing!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Launching!

o yeah the SS dominates that TA. get the SS, nuff said.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea get the SS, if you want T-tops that bad, you can get a conversion kit.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude the ss is sweet and my favorite of the 2...i would maybe wait a a little bit longer to see if you can find a lower miles car imo.....i had a local guy around me selling an 02 ss 6spd for 11,500, and the car has 29xxx on it. I just kinda think if your gonna spend 10grand find something that is a little lower on miles...
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I love my hardtop, you don't have to worry about leaks, t-tops are nice, but you have the same problem as verts. Possible leaks and you can only use them if the weather is just right.

I hate riding in a vert or t-top car if it is hot outside.....The SS looks nice, I'd talk him down some, car looks nice for the mileage