General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got my license!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
I agree with the post above mine. I'm 18, turning 19. Been driving since I was 14. Not one wreck, a barely-spotty record (One ticket for no seatbelt). This is not to say I don't drive fast. I do. My first car was a Camaro Z28 from 91. 6-speed. Fast, fun. I didn't wreck it though. I had a lot of fun with it. I then sold it and got help financing a 2006 Mustang GT. 5-speed. This was in 2006. Sold it, and now I have my Monte Carlo, with a Challenger on order. At age 19, I'm working tech support for a local company. Making about 26k a year, with spotless credit. As you can see I've been very careful, and it has paid off.
No offense man, but is that a typo? Just trying to figure out how someone that is making 26k is going to get a car that Retails at over 40k with the dealer screw you in the butt tax? That just doesn't seem like a fiscally responsible move if you ask me. Maybe you are like me though and don't have to pay for anything else (food, cell phone, rent). Thanks mom and dad
Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fccs
A 3000gt, if not the vr4 model obviously is alot different, for one thats awd and doesnt have any power compared to the ls1 engines..lol another point being said is if you havent driven a rwd car before then thats something to get used to also or youll wind up in a ditch like half the people who try to pull tokyo drift up in the ricer parking lots lol
Really? Well I haven't driven RWD before. Never though it makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

be careful i was a dumbass my first year or so of driving. got 3 tickets within a year. getting a Cobra for my first car was a bad idea
Old 07-08-2008, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmaschm
No offense man, but is that a typo? Just trying to figure out how someone that is making 26k is going to get a car that Retails at over 40k with the dealer screw you in the butt tax? That just doesn't seem like a fiscally responsible move if you ask me. Maybe you are like me though and don't have to pay for anything else (food, cell phone, rent). Thanks mom and dad
Well if he still lives at home then he can easily do it. Reason being he won't really have any other bills to pay for besides the car which will be a couple hundred a month through financing.

Thats how I got my car, I am 17 and still live at home. I do pay for the car and everything for it by myself, but the reason being I don't have to pay rent, food, bills, etc.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
Well in rain and pulling out of dirt roads or muddy grass you'll have to get used to, its basically let off clutch and don't give it gas in these cars compared to other awd or fwd cars where u just pull out normally. Driving in rain could take some time to get used to over a fwd or awd car as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Dont get an LS1 for your first car.
i went from a 96 V6 dodge ram, then to my dads 78 chevy pick up, then my 94 LT1 firehawk, and now im on my LS1 99 Z28 camaro my favorite of all.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
you have a lot to learn then... i'd say hold out on a ls1 till you have some experience.

differences in drives...
FWD- pretty simple, pulls the car where the front tires are pointed (if you spin tires, the only thing you have to worry about is torque steer, which is pretty easy to overcome)

AWD- "safest" as most people say, and in most cases it is, but if its powerful enough, can be the toughest to handle such as if the tires spin (rain, or dumping the clutch) then you have limited control where the car goes, its like driving on ice since not 1 wheel has traction.

RWD- tires lose traction then they will try to pull the car to the side (due to torque) and can inevitably cause the car to do a 180, if you dont compensate for it by steering. if you do a 180 not meaning to... scary ****

btw good luck with your test, you'll love the new found freedom that comes with a license.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

I turned 16 aug 9 last year. Please GET and fbody for you first car. Don't let anyone tell you that a car is to much for you. As long as you don't act like a moron on the road you will be fine. There will always be idiots around you that drive like idiots, the only thing you can do is hold on and drive the safe way.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

hm lets see. im on my 3rd car. my first was a 99 buick regal then a camaro V6 and now my SS 35th anniversarry V8 convertible . just kept upgrading alittle everytime. i wonder what ill get next
Old 07-08-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28
EVERYTHING depends on you.

Advice cannot be general in my opinion. It truly depends on your self-control and sense.

Being 16, you really think a lot more about what can my car do? Is my car faster than that one? Damn I wanna hear my my tires screech I really realized this when I told my dad I was gonna pick up a pair of slicks for my old rims and he said what for? and I said I wanted to see what I could do in the 1/4 and he asked what does that really matter? you know the car's fast.

I'm 17, and my camaro is at close to 500hp, i see civics and other cars under 200hp wrecked all the time do to poor choices.

I got rear ended in my truck by a civic that pulled the e-brake to show off and turned a little and truck hitch: 1 civic: 0 + new front bumper..

You'll see, just watch all the dumb asses leaving your school parking lot lol

Also I guess it depends on experience, for my age I've done a lot of driving; was doing 3-7 hour trips truck+trailer for bike races with my dad, and drove about everyday.

x2 I got my car a week before I even had my liscence. I had driven a ton up to that point, everywhere I went I drove. Including a few trips to NC and back. So I had a good amount of experience, on various types of roads.

Another is maturity. I hate to use that word but if your gunna try drive like a dipshit and push everything to the limits go buy a beater. My buddy is a great example. Bought a jeep drove it like a dumbass and wrecked it into a tree. I was the one who had to give him the ride home. lol

I on the other hand had my car for well over a year before I did a burnout, hell I didn't even know how to do one. I've just started trying to mod it some and went to the track for the first time in the last few months. I have no tickets either thank god. Key is just wait until you have a good amount of experience and maturity to drive smart.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

****...came back and I failed. Reason: Improper hand position. I didn't have it on the 3 and 9 o clock positions. I was driving one hand most of the time and I didn't realize till the end. I didn't even mean to do it. I feel like the biggest ******** but I can take it again in 2 weeks.

But I think he was pissed because in the beginning my mom was in the car and he just comes to the window and says "get out" to my mom (in a nasty tone). I tell the guy who's he talking to like that and basically just cursed at him a bit. But not in a large loud argument. "I don't want to hear that bullshit from you again talking to my mom like that." But then he apologized and it got back to a normal setting.

Still, I can't believe I failed
Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Lol sorry man but improper hand place is bs. Sucks you fail. Hell down here you take it once a day till you pass it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
I turned 16 aug 9 last year. Please GET and fbody for you first car. Don't let anyone tell you that a car is to much for you. As long as you don't act like a moron on the road you will be fine. There will always be idiots around you that drive like idiots, the only thing you can do is hold on and drive the safe way.
well put!
Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tiny161092
Lol sorry man but improper hand place is bs. Sucks you fail. Hell down here you take it once a day till you pass it.
LOL, that's crazy. Everyday till you pass, haha. But it's not a big deal. I can wait two weeks. It's not like I have a car either to drive.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by simpfan21
Ditto. My first car was a 1991 V6 Sunbird and it was plenty fast for how much of a dumbass i was at that age.... You'd be putting yourself in serious danger getting an ls1 as a first car, hah.
100% agree... i had v6 bird at that age and was pretty immature... yes ls1 would be too much for a new driver
Old 07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
100% agree... i had v6 bird at that age and was pretty immature... yes ls1 would be too much for a new driver
qft

also, piece of advise, dont "curse" or argue with someone who can (and will) fail you for no reason. should have just let it go, so what he told your mom to get out of the car, thats standard procedure, you are the only one allowed in the car when you take your test.

good luck next time
Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the 9 and 3 is the only part you failed on that's not bad, not anything super major and easy to fix for next time around. My first test I passed the driving with flying colors but totally botched the maneuverability part. So I told my friends I was safe on the roads, just not in parking lots

You'll do fine next time I'm sure, just watch the 9 and 3!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt it 10 + 2 ... /shrug thats what I was told by my drivers ed teacher in school like a 1.5 years ago.. but he was cool and we just went to wendys and **** lol
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
If the 9 and 3 is the only part you failed on that's not bad, not anything super major and easy to fix for next time around. My first test I passed the driving with flying colors but totally botched the maneuverability part. So I told my friends I was safe on the roads, just not in parking lots

You'll do fine next time I'm sure, just watch the 9 and 3!
here its 10 and 2?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 94TRANS
here its 10 and 2?
I was told by my instructor about 4 years ago that it was 9 and 3, so that's what I did and was fine. Maybe it is 10 and 2 or 9 and 3, whichever perhaps, as long as both hands are on the wheel? Don't know, I'd just go with what they told him.