General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just got my license!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my license!!

Ok, well not really. But my road test is scheduled to be in 13 hours and I'm 99% certain I'll pass it.

I'm still just reading and I don't post that many questions about LS1 that much anymore here. But I still don't have a car Although I'm still able to drive my mother's 2007 Ford Focus which is really better than nothing.

I had planned on getting a car this summer but had to get a new job which pays a whole lot less with less hours than my old job so a car is out of the question. And even next summer I don't think so because I have to save up for college. (I'm going to be a high school senior this year.)

Before I thought I can easily go fast but I've been recently going on pretty big highways with high speed limits and there's a lot of reckless drivers out there. So I'm not going to be going 40MPH over the limit just to impress some people in a car or anything. Even with my very limited driving experience, I understand I need to drive defensively a lot in most situations.

But anyways, what can you guys give me advice and tips on for a guy who just (or will soon) get his license??
Old 07-08-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

well dnt b like me and take ur dads turbo sti out for a spin 3 days after getting ur liscense like i did and get pulled over.....o also dont try eludeing an officer like i tried, it just pisses thm off haha
Old 07-08-2008, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

get a beater, a lot of people wreck their first car. even a stock LS1 car might be a bit much for a new driver. then after a year or two look into a car that you want. an LS1 Camaro is not THAT expensive. maybe it could be a graduation gift to yourself.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

my first car burst into flames lol. But yeah, a good idea is to buy a car you have to build up, a project car. So that way it cant be wrecked right away, and you still get to enjoy it (thats if you enjoy the whole hands on experience).
Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well i dont know about a beater...but yeah most people do wreck their first i know i did....when it comes down to it just dont be stupid and dont drink and drive you dont understand how stupid that is,seems kinda fun at the time,but ive lost a few good friends over that stupid **** and it just isnt worth it...just stay put...lol and dont go hill hop'n either...either way just use your head and you will be fine..also i hope you get a fbody someday i know you would love one...
Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 AM
12 Second Club

Dont get an LS1 for your first car.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Dont get an LS1 for your first car.
Ditto. My first car was a 1991 V6 Sunbird and it was plenty fast for how much of a dumbass i was at that age.... You'd be putting yourself in serious danger getting an ls1 as a first car, hah.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Oh please, don't feed him that BS. You know you would get an fbody as your first car if you had the chance. Get whatever you want, but drive safe. That's really all there is to it.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Get what you want just don't drive like a dick... lol my first f-body i drove like an *** this one im such a baby in it unless im with a group drivin somewhere then i mess around a bit.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EVERYTHING depends on you.

Advice cannot be general in my opinion. It truly depends on your self-control and sense.

Being 16, you really think a lot more about what can my car do? Is my car faster than that one? Damn I wanna hear my my tires screech I really realized this when I told my dad I was gonna pick up a pair of slicks for my old rims and he said what for? and I said I wanted to see what I could do in the 1/4 and he asked what does that really matter? you know the car's fast.

I'm 17, and my camaro is at close to 500hp, i see civics and other cars under 200hp wrecked all the time do to poor choices.

I got rear ended in my truck by a civic that pulled the e-brake to show off and turned a little and truck hitch: 1 civic: 0 + new front bumper..

You'll see, just watch all the dumb asses leaving your school parking lot lol

Also I guess it depends on experience, for my age I've done a lot of driving; was doing 3-7 hour trips truck+trailer for bike races with my dad, and drove about everyday.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with the post above mine. I'm 18, turning 19. Been driving since I was 14. Not one wreck, a barely-spotty record (One ticket for no seatbelt). This is not to say I don't drive fast. I do. My first car was a Camaro Z28 from 91. 6-speed. Fast, fun. I didn't wreck it though. I had a lot of fun with it. I then sold it and got help financing a 2006 Mustang GT. 5-speed. This was in 2006. Sold it, and now I have my Monte Carlo, with a Challenger on order. At age 19, I'm working tech support for a local company. Making about 26k a year, with spotless credit. As you can see I've been very careful, and it has paid off.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about to turn 18, got my car about 2 months after I turned 16. Yes I had to work for it. As of now my record is spotless. Use common sense and you'll be fine. Just because you're inexperienced doesn't mean that you're an idiot. Not to say experience doesn't help.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep an eye on everything, watch your speed, signal properly, pay attention to road conditions and adjust driving as necessary (slow down around curves when it is raining for example), and watch your following distance, don't tailgate! These are all good things for everyone to remember but developing good habits now helps in the long run
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the posts...Well I'm going to drive the Focus for over a year about. So I don't think I'll be getting a beater. But it's definately too soon to tell whether I'll get an LS1 or not. A lot of posts here in this thread and the forum in general say don't get an LS1 for a first car but I think I'm pretty responsible. But who knows. The most I've driven was a ~220HP 3000gt so I might feel different under an LS1, lol...

T-minus 5 hours
Old 07-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Teching In

my first car was a 6 sp t/a. Don't drive like a jackass and you'll be fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ I agree, get you an ls1 if you can. It'll go just as slow as any other car. I got mine when I was 16 (3 years ago) and I've never wrecked mine. Just use common sense.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got my SS when I was 17, I'm 18 now and haven't wrecked it yet. When I first turned 16 I got a '97 Z71(LOVED that truck). I got into a fender bender with it due to bad brakes and partly my fault, nothing serious though, just bent the bumper. Back then, I admit I would definately have gotten an LS1 if I had the means to, but now, I'm glad I didn't. As long as you have some self-control and work your way up as you learn the car, you'll be fine. Just be careful. Also, dont do like I did and buy a car that you can barely pay for! haha, thats why i'm selling mine now, I thought I had a better summer job that would pay it off, but it fell through so I'm selling mine for a cheaper z28. And it's no fun putting all your money into payments instead of mods. Good luck, man!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my impala when i was 14 started drving when i was 16 couldnt be happier. just get a beater car untill your are older so the insurence rates wont kill you. but if u do happen to get a camaro or something i know its temping to haul *** but dont save that adrenaline for the track.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im 18 now also, turning 19 in a little and my first car is now my beater, a little nissan 200sx, great gas mileage and paying $3grand for a car with 150k and in perfect shape and reliable as your first car is the best way to go id say. Its a 1.6 liter but its a reliable car and it gets you where you wanna go, a small car like that is perfect for your first car then in a year or two after you get used to driving out on the roads with other cars if you want id suggest go get your ls1 then. A year or two from now wont hurt, if anything it'll make the camaros and trans ams more affordable for you and you'd be use to driving rather then getting it right out of the bag, cause you WILL be pulled over in these cars... I always say its not "IF" its "WHEN" you get pulled over in these cars.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroLover
Thanks for the posts...Well I'm going to drive the Focus for over a year about. So I don't think I'll be getting a beater. But it's definately too soon to tell whether I'll get an LS1 or not. A lot of posts here in this thread and the forum in general say don't get an LS1 for a first car but I think I'm pretty responsible. But who knows. The most I've driven was a ~220HP 3000gt so I might feel different under an LS1, lol...

T-minus 5 hours
A 3000gt, if not the vr4 model obviously is alot different, for one thats awd and doesnt have any power compared to the ls1 engines..lol another point being said is if you havent driven a rwd car before then thats something to get used to also or youll wind up in a ditch like half the people who try to pull tokyo drift up in the ricer parking lots lol