General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need a little info

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little info

I lnow this is a little different than what goes on here but it sounds like a lot here know there stuff.My son is running a stock 5.3 in a rear engine rock racer,the intake is turned around and we allready have the fuel reg and return to tank on it.Every thing works very well.Just a little insight,rear engine,TH 350,5.0 Atlas,3.73 gears,40" tires.Like I said everything works well for racing except,when he has to run a straight away say 400 yds long he's hitting the rev limiter about half way down.Question is would an after market intake and throtle body give a few more rpm's so not to top out to quick?Maybe a chip to help out to.He's hanging with some LS1's on the start but hitting the rev limiter to quick.The harness came from Howell and they burnt he computer what they thought it should be,we don't know yet what it turns.What kind of suggestions would some of you fellers think we should do to gain just a little more without a cam swap.We don't want to take a chance on poping the engine this late in the season.Also what would this engine turn up safely.Thanks
Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im assuming your talking about a 5.3 ls?
if so,
to raise the rpms the computer has to be retuned. intake and TB will only make it hit the rev limiter quicker. also these computers dont use "chips".

as to what you can turn the motor up safely.... that all depends on your setup, what valve springs, rods, lifters, etc. are you using. the best way to find out how high you can turn it is to get a dyno tune and use that to judge when you start to get "valve float".

good luck with your car.