General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:58 PM
Launching!

Default insurance questions

so i pay almost 400 a month for limited coverage for my DD explorer and full coverage for the trans am. A member on here told me about a different insurance company so i called them and told them the trans isnt my DD,its garaged, and only driven on nice days. So the insurance would be 445 A YEAR for full coverage but cant drive more than 3000 miles a year. Which isnt bad seeing as i only drive on nice days and during summer months.

So just wondering what insurance all you guys out there use if the Fbody isnt your DD. Want to call around and get a few other prices before i lock in with this company.

thanks guys
Old 07-31-2008 | 09:56 PM
On The Tree

The following link has members post their insurance rates: click here. I got the lowest rates from Progressive and AAA.
Old 08-01-2008 | 04:45 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I am covered by Allstate and it is under $500 for a full year minus comprehensive (theft, vandalism) and driven under 7,500 miles a year. The comprehensive would be another $400 a year but is partly due to my T/A being a convertible. My old '96 Formula wasn't as expensive. I don't think I would like to be limited to just 3k per year in your situation but I'm comfortable with my 7,500k limit. I put on only 2k a year as a nice weather weekender but always reserve the right to drive more without worrying about mileage limits.

Last edited by NC01TA; 08-01-2008 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 08-01-2008 | 05:54 AM
TECH Addict

I have insurance with Westfield and pay around $450 or $500 a year for my WS6 with NO limitation on miles per year, my DD is a 04 Grand Am. I have $500,000 liability limits, UM/UIM coverage, towing & labor, $500 coll. ded and a $100 comp. ded. BTW I work in insurance and a report just came out on the top ten worst insurance companies in the US. Allstate was number one; AIG was 3rd, State Farm 4th. Farmers 7th, and Liberty Mutual 10th.
Old 08-01-2008 | 07:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cool whip
The following link has members post their insurance rates: click here. I got the lowest rates from Progressive and AAA.
im not just looking for quotes im looking for miles allowed,and what company is used for cars other than DDs....most people have their DD and fun car on the same insurance.

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I am covered by Allstate and it is under $500 for a full year minus comprehensive (theft, vandalism) and driven under 7,500 miles a year. The comprehensive would be another $400 a year but is partly due to my T/A being a convertible. My old '96 Formula wasn't as expensive. I don't think I would like to be limited to just 3k per year in your situation but I'm comfortable with my 7,500k limit. I put on only 2k a year as a nice weather weekender but always reserve the right to drive more without worrying about mileage limits.
yea your right but 3000 miles isnt bad, i figure its like 140 miles a week for 5 months of straight driving which ill NEVER do...how exactly do they check mileage after the year anyway?

Originally Posted by qwk93ta
I have insurance with Westfield and pay around $450 or $500 a year for my WS6 with NO limitation on miles per year, my DD is a 04 Grand Am. I have $500,000 liability limits, UM/UIM coverage, towing & labor, $500 coll. ded and a $100 comp. ded. BTW I work in insurance and a report just came out on the top ten worst insurance companies in the US. Allstate was number one; AIG was 3rd, State Farm 4th. Farmers 7th, and Liberty Mutual 10th.
damn im gonna have to check them out...thats really good
Old 08-01-2008 | 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

I have Progressive and pay around 200 a month for all 3 cars for 2 drivers for full coverage and have 1 accident.
Old 08-01-2008 | 08:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackfang
I have Progressive and pay around 200 a month for all 3 cars for 2 drivers for full coverage and have 1 accident.
how old are you if you dont mind me askin?
Old 08-01-2008 | 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is my DD and I pay $850 a year with Allstate. Also have my homeowners with them.
Old 08-01-2008 | 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

In answer to your question about them checking mileage: If they want to play hardball after a bad accident they can pull records (ex: in NC they can pull the annual inspection data). Some states have mileage stated yearly on their registrations, etc... It just depends where you live. If they go by 'average' mileage on the odometer then usually no problem. You or I could put 10k on our car this year and barely affect the 'average' miles. I just don't like to take the chances of the insurance companies giving me additional grief if I should get in a nasty wreck. That's why I'm comfortable with the 7,500 mile limit. Lots of room to spare if I want to take a trip to FL or New England or wherever. I just recently updated my DD mileage limits, after a trip to Canada last year and another distant vacation planned for this year, and the secretary said it was smart as they will hold it against you if the info is inaccurate. The price was negligible for my DD but would be costly for the T/A.
Old 08-01-2008 | 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
im not just looking for quotes im looking for miles allowed,and what company is used for cars other than DDs....most people have their DD and fun car on the same insurance.
That's funny. I thought you were trying to get a lower insurance rate. Any reasoning person would takes the information I provided and get quotes from the companies that consistently offer the lowest rates. But if all you want is the company that allows the most miles for a pleasure vehicle, Progressive allows 5,000 a year. Hope that's helpful for comparison. Any other work I can do for you?
Old 08-01-2008 | 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
In answer to your question about them checking mileage: If they want to play hardball after a bad accident they can pull records (ex: in NC they can pull the annual inspection data). Some states have mileage stated yearly on their registrations, etc... It just depends where you live. If they go by 'average' mileage on the odometer then usually no problem. You or I could put 10k on our car this year and barely affect the 'average' miles. I just don't like to take the chances of the insurance companies giving me additional grief if I should get in a nasty wreck. That's why I'm comfortable with the 7,500 mile limit. Lots of room to spare if I want to take a trip to FL or New England or wherever. I just recently updated my DD mileage limits, after a trip to Canada last year and another distant vacation planned for this year, and the secretary said it was smart as they will hold it against you if the info is inaccurate. The price was negligible for my DD but would be costly for the T/A.
yea the 445/year for 3k or less miles was a company called gershmeir i think its local, but i was just trying to look around to see if i could get some names of cheaper places to give a call....i turn 25 next june so i got a while to wait

That's funny. I thought you were trying to get a lower insurance rate. Any reasoning person would takes the information I provided and get quotes from the companies that consistently offer the lowest rates. But if all you want is the company that allows the most miles for a pleasure vehicle, Progressive allows 5,000 a year. Hope that's helpful for comparison. Any other work I can do for you?

i wasnt trying to be an ***....all i wanted was the names of some of the insurance companies that do collector/classic insurance like grundy,hagarty,etc etc....i got the names of a few i just want to test the waters to see which will give me the best miles/year cost/year ratio...make sense?
Old 08-01-2008 | 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

I would never buy coverage from the company offering the lowest rates. You want to find a company that treats you right when you have a claim. Allstate and AIG are two examples of companies that threat you great when you buy insurance, but do a complete 180 when you have a loss.
Old 08-01-2008 | 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
how old are you if you dont mind me askin?
I am 33
Old 08-01-2008 | 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackfang
I am 33
well hopefully when im 33 ill have a bunch of years without an accident/ticket and i can get insurance quotes that low