General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warranty ?

How many of your vehicles factory or after market warranties have been voided from modifaction that you have done.

I am just upset because I called the dealer ship to have my car looked at. The car was stuck in fourth gear. I was talking to the service advisor and told that the car had no Cats and a different wheels on the car. Should I take this stuff off. He said no that should not be a problem. So I took the car in the dealership said the synros or somthing was broken. Whatever it was just fix it. NO the dealership said the remaining factory warranty was now void due to the wider wheels putting strain on the drivetrain, I was pissed. Two thousand something dollars later. I have my car back. with no warranty on the drivetrain, I am going to break it of in pocket for other things,

Has anyonr else been screwed over by a dealer with warranty like this?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much strain could wider wheels (I mean how wide are these things!!!!!) possibly put on the drivetrain? sounds like BS
Old 08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you ask to see the supervisor who told you it was OK?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

I think the dealer was trying to save GM some money with this BS. The tires were only 315 ET street, But the fact of the matter was I asked them should I take off these things. SparkyJJO OH in deed I gave the service writer a piece of my mind after I found out over the phone than again in person when I came to pick up my car. After talking to the owner of the dealer ship today, we came to a agreement on the end result, they said since the circumstance that arose here they would make me only pay half of the costs. I guess 1G is better than 2gs. Still this whole situation is a giant crock of crap. And I still don't have a drive train warranty any more. I have learned my lesson about taking modded cars to a dealer ship even if they say it is fine. Sorry about Rantting. This sucks.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Dude i feel you, i posted about this **** the other day about my cats. Im moving in a week, getting ready to register/smog in a new state then go LTs/catless duals. Of course a week before i move my cat that has been giving me ses problems finaly crumbles apart and starts rattling so i bring it in to dealer to get the 10 yr/120k mile warranty fix. Oh wait, the thing has a dent on it so now its void. They dont care that i have had 2 dif shops tel me my cats were in need of replacement. They are dented= gm will not pay the dealership for warranty repair.

Stupid *** warranty, the exhaust shop i talked to said that they see a lot of the f-bodies with damaged passenger side cats because they hang low. Gm extends the warranty on them but then voids the warranty if the thing is damaged because of their shitty design.

After owning this car for a year i learned that the first things you should buy when you get an f-body are
1) ODB2 scanner
2) a set of jacks/jackstand

I would have so much more money in my pocket if i was able to fix some of the stupid *** problems that have happened on my own instead of paying 3x the cost to pay for marked up parts and labor.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Launching!

Cats i can see as in most state you are required to have them but i pritty sure there is nothing about having bigger wheels on your car voids your warranty. If you can put an aftermarket cold air intake and what not on a vehicle then you can put different tires on it. You can honestly say that 75% of american cars dont have warranties because i know and see plenty of people with different tires on that are not factory.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Cats falling apart cauase of a shitty desgin you should have taken to a different dealer and see what they would say. GM can void your warranty if you modify the car in any way from the factory. Found this load of BS roaming on the internet and talking to a GM on a 1800 number. This is so stupid. IF they are going to build a product aleast stand behind it.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Wait a minute i am scratching my head on this one. The last year they were made was 2002. It is now 2008. 2008-2002= 6 year old car. Factory warranty = 3 years or 36000 miles = your car is way out of warranty anyway am I wrong? Did you purchase some kind of extended warranty because thats the only explanation I can think of?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Think he said he had an aftermarket warranty.

With the damaged cats i was told that the dealer has to send in the cats to GM to get them covered by warranty and that if they are banged up they just get rejected. It makes sense because you know someone would bottom their car out driving like an *** and then try to get free replacements but i didnt and was pissed. The 800 number guy had no idea what he was talking about.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

You could research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. It protects consumer rights and regulates warranties. Might not help you but it's worth a Google. For instance, if a dealership ever tells you that THEY must perform the regular service or it will void your warranty, that's bull. It just needs to be done, so keep a record or/and reciepts. And if they tell you that GM parts only must be used to service, that is bull too. If they require specific brand parts to be used then they have to be provided free of charge, or you may use any comparable part that you choose. Look into it more.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

warranties on used cars are **** never buy one unless it is backed by gm. Even then you can't modify your car, they wont accept it. Cancel it and move on, I have dealt with the same ****.